Jump to topic:

Singularity

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 11:52:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh, not again. The singularity cultists are on par with creationists in my opinion...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 1:17:04 PM
At 7/4/2012 11:52:44 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Oh, not again. The singularity cultists are on par with creationists in my opinion...

Why is that? Isn't limitless expansion where we're going if we don't all die first?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Nome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2012 3:11:50 PM
Such singularities of technology are nothing compared to singularities of mind like language. For another true singularity, one must break down their lingual understanding and build it back up again.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 6:07:25 PM
At 7/4/2012 1:17:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Why is that? Isn't limitless expansion where we're going if we don't all die first?

"It can't continue forever. The nature of exponentials is that you push them out and eventually disaster happens." -Gordon Moore
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 6:54:02 PM
Surely him calling it a singularity negates the fact it's a singularity. Under Black Swan Theory anyhow, I'm assuming when he talks a singularity he's talking of something such as a black swan. When he talks of the Singularity of Language is he not talking about the high impact of the use of language. And it's high impact has something to do with it's unpredictability. The fact that he has predicted it or is speaking about it would affect this negatively!
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2012 9:54:28 PM

His point is that technology is increasing to the point of a new singularity on par with human language. I don't think technology will increase as fast as is predicted, but perhaps x^1.3.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2012 6:12:40 PM
I am a firm beliwr that if we do not blow ourselves up first, or are wiped out by a cataclysm, we will eventually be replaced by intelligent machines as the dominant lifeforms(obviously using a liberal definotion of life) on this planet.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 5:55:23 AM
Kewl.

This guy is good, I suspect he will pose a threat to Scientology.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 6:57:44 AM
At 7/6/2012 1:52:11 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
His stuff is really interesting to watch, and he is really passionate.
http://thisisjasonsilva.com...

Holy crap, it's beyond interesting, and I always admire passion like that, his videos are like a mind expanding intellectual drug or something, you gotta love this guy....thanks for the introduction.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 7:01:13 AM
At 7/9/2012 4:10:03 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
This guy's a cult leader.

I've got no plans yo become a starry eyed, new age bliss bunny any time soon, but I can sure see why he's got a cult following....he is really really good at what he does.

Thanks again.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 7:04:09 AM
At 7/12/2012 6:12:40 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I am a firm beliwr that if we do not blow ourselves up first, or are wiped out by a cataclysm, we will eventually be replaced by intelligent machines as the dominant lifeforms(obviously using a liberal definotion of life) on this planet.

I doubt that, have you ever read Tielhard deChardin?

Maybe Tielhard's Noosphere, but I don't think we're a machine and so I don't see us being replaced by our machines.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 12:28:43 PM
While technology has obviously grown at an exponential rate I don't think it is as big of a deal as he thinks it is.

If you think about it technology has always been growing at an exponential rate.

How do you think people born in the late 1700s saw the completion of the transcontinental railroad, the telegraph, conventional power etc in the last years of their life during the mid to late 1800s? They must have thought technology was exploding. Well, it always sort of has been.

I agree, computer tech is expanding rapidly but I don't think its going to change our humanity like this guy thinks.