Jump to topic:

Meaning

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 10:45:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hard to say. I'd say--even though the "real" or popular answer would probably be family, and that is meaningful too to me--fiction. Or, if we need to speak in even broader terms, art.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2012 11:58:51 PM
If there is any sort of a need of friction with the personal term, then I'd oblige and give a more concrete answer.

The most meaningful part would be both the small and short times where I am left to myself and my mind--some thoughts and remembrances, and my days with a few other, friends and family. Some of them are powerful enough to shape my future enterprises (academic that is), others enough to make good times...memorable.

Though in a less constricted manner, without the presumption of some sort of temporal basis, or perhaps even a personal standard, I would agree that art is very meaningful but human achievement and humanity more important. I would value the human spirit, especially in the very act of creating and making something fruitful, the most, even if I can only describe it in general terms that cater to my perception.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 4:30:44 AM
The attempts I make to understand and communicate with the people I love. That and the experience of music. I am constantly surprised by how moved I am when I play and listen to music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2012 6:39:33 PM
At 7/7/2012 4:30:44 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
The attempts I make to understand and communicate with the people I love. That and the experience of music. I am constantly surprised by how moved I am when I play and listen to music.

Music is truly an amazing phenomenon. The feeling of being totally engulfed by rhythms, melodies, and chords as you dance around them with your instrument is something I will never fully comprehend. Music does create a good portion of meaning in my life as well.

I think any activity you enjoy doing is meaningful in and of itself, making living life in and of itself meaningful independent of religion. Isn't it interesting that some activities such as drug use or sex can feel so great while you do them, but end up leaving you with a quickly dissipating afterglow of meaning? I think the most meaningful experiences of our lives produce a net positive result at their conclusion.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.