Jump to topic:

The law of indentity and Hegel

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 1:59:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Can someone explain this law of identity to me?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 1:59:41 PM
Can someone explain this rebuttal to the law of identity to me?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 2:10:36 PM
Law of identity is just A=A. Hegel challenges philosophers like Descartes who just begin their work from this kind of independent exploration of their own minds and consciousness. For Hegel, the concept of the self only arises in reference to not-self. That's basically it in a nutshell and it creates this fascinating master-slave relationship which he writes about when other individuals come into the picture, but I guess what we can say for Hegel is that consciousness does not exist in a vacuum.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 2:39:05 PM
Sorry, not consciousness - I mean self-consciousness. Here's a few notes I took last year on the subject.

-Self-consciousness is not singular, Cartesian. Requires "other." "process of recognition."
-"Self consciousness exists only in being acknowledged" (178).
-Treating other people like things is the first phase. Seeking death of other -> Me staking me own life. One must stake one's own life to attain the truth of its own consciousness, and seek annihilation of other. First stake one's own life.
-Preserve the other, but do so in way that removes risk. Master becomes pure self-consciousness, independent, for itself the other is a more immediate form of consiousness in the form of thinghood. It is a dependent consciousness whose essential nature is for another or to live for another. Master and slave.
-Master relates himself to slave through the thing. In subjugating the slave, the master has subjugated the thing to his desire. This is the thesis stage.
-The resulting recognition is one sided and unequal. Substandard consciousness of slave "infects" master's self-consciousness. In this process slave's self-consciousness is thrown back into itself and becomes stronger. This pure dread or existential angst shows slave his true nature.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2012 3:05:35 PM
Aw, I love that guy.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.