Jump to topic:

The Teleporter Dilemma

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:10:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: This is a common dilemma brought up in an ethics or philosophy of mind class. But I would like to see how DDO answers this.

Now the teleporter on Star Trek works by vaporizing your current body and transporting the Data(the formula of you) to where you are reconstructed with the matter from the area you are arriving at.

If this technology was out and there hasn't been any defects would you use it?

If no why not?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:42:28 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:10:41 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: This is a common dilemma brought up in an ethics or philosophy of mind class. But I would like to see how DDO answers this.

Now the teleporter on Star Trek works by vaporizing your current body and transporting the Data(the formula of you) to where you are reconstructed with the matter from the area you are arriving at.

If no why not?

No, because I think I'd lose me in the process, and a perfect copy will replace me.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:44:16 PM

If no why not?
Hell no! I would let others try it first! Now, once I saw that it was OK...
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:44:50 PM

If no why not?

I don't see why not... All the atoms in my body are periodically replaced over time anyways... In this case it would just be instantaneous rather than gradual... Same process when you get down to essentials.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:45:56 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:42:28 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

If no why not?

No, because I think I'd lose me in the process, and a perfect copy will replace me.
But that already happens every 7 or so years of your life!
WOS
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:46:58 PM
Whether or not it causes defects isn't the teleporter's dilemma. That isn't even philosophical.

The question is whether you are actually the same person when you come out the other end.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:47:46 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:46:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Whether or not it causes defects isn't the teleporter's dilemma. That isn't even philosophical.

The question is whether you are actually the same person when you come out the other end.

Yes, and I think I won't be the same person. That's why I won't do it.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:48:27 PM

So? Are you? Are you even the same person every 7 to 10 years?
WOS
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:50:45 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:48:27 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Having a persisting ego at all doesn't make any actual sense.

You're not the same person each moment to the next.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:52:54 PM
The Fool: The Idea is there is no observable defects. To the best of our knowledge it runs just fine!!.

Still no?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:53:40 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:52:54 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: The Idea is there is no observable defects. To the best of our knowledge it runs just fine!!.

Still no?

That has nothing to do with philosophy.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:53:46 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:50:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/11/2012 4:48:27 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

And so then what's the difference between that and teleporter? There isn't any!
WOS
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:57:37 PM
The Fool: It has to do with our basic intuitions about mind and body, does merely replacing your physical body Guarentee that you mind will go with it!!

We tend to shrug our shoulder at the thought of it.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 4:58:42 PM
The Fool: except tboone which I was expecting to be more okay with it, If you are okay with the mind=brain.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:01:52 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:42:28 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

If no why not?

The Fool: This is what I think.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:01:56 PM

That view has some interesting implications. For example, if the you who exists one year from now is a different person, you have no particular reason to care about what happens to him. No reason to plan ahead for the future or restrain yourself from anything in the now that will harm 'him' in the future. We also couldn't hold anyone responsible, good deeds or bad deeds, for what their past selves did or will do.

It destroys all notions of responsibility, and all notions of planning for the future.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:01:56 PM
At 7/11/2012 4:58:42 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: except tboone which I was expecting to be more okay with it, If you are okay with the mind=brain.
Relax, I'm just waiting for others to step in and make sure it's working properly! No sense in ruining a perfectly good T-Boone!
WOS
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:03:54 PM
Consider the following addition: what if the teleporter vaporised your body and used the data collected to create two copies of you. If you think you survive the process, which one is you?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:05:22 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:01:56 PM, Kinesis wrote:

That view has some interesting implications. For example, if the you who exists one year from now is a different person, you have no particular reason to care about what happens to him. No reason to plan ahead for the future or restrain yourself from anything in the now that will harm 'him' in the future. We also couldn't hold anyone responsible, good deeds or bad deeds, for what their past selves did or will do.

It destroys all notions of responsibility, and all notions of planning for the future.

Correct. It's a part of what I classify into my "anti-philosophy" which I can clearly see has a much more pronounced effect on the way one lives than other philosophies being simple mental masturbation.

It's not the full picture though. I have many other variables like this one which create my odd result.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:06:00 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:03:54 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Consider the following addition: what if the teleporter vaporised your body and used the data collected to create two copies of you. If you think you survive the process, which one is you?

This is why I think I'd lose me. If you can create infinite copies of me, they wouldn't be me, since only I can be myself.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:07:03 PM

The Fool: That is the heart of it. Is it Really you at all after. Even thought it has the same memories and knowledge that you had.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:07:46 PM
Hehe! That's how this whole post got started!

The answer is you can't tell! Both copies (and they are both copies) would think that they are the original. And both would be .... actually it would be impossible to tell all 3 apart (ie original and 2 copies.)
WOS
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:08:59 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:07:03 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: That is the heart of it. Is it Really you at all after. Even thought it has the same memories and knowledge that you had.

I'm guessing you're gonna lose your own consciousness, and a new will be created that was the same as the one before. It still won't be the original you.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:09:11 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:05:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Correct. It's a part of what I classify into my "anti-philosophy" which I can clearly see has a much more pronounced effect on the way one lives than other philosophies being simple mental masturbation.

It's not the full picture though. I have many other variables like this one which create my odd result.

If you actually lived that way, you probably wouldn't still be alive. If you aren't a morbidly obese drug addict you aren't living your philosophy.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:11:26 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:09:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 7/11/2012 5:05:22 PM, FREEDO wrote:

If you actually lived that way, you probably wouldn't still be alive. If you aren't a morbidly obese drug addict you aren't living your philosophy.

Like I said, you're missing a lot of it. Particularly, the more important parts.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:12:06 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:08:59 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I'm guessing you're gonna lose your own consciousness, and a new will be created that was the same as the one before.
No more and no less than you loose your consciousness when you sleep...actually less because it would be quicker than sleep.

It still won't be the original you.
Maybe, but your statement cannot be shown to be true.
WOS
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:12:10 PM
The Fool: Now the Moral twist is this..

If your mother was dying on some other planet and the only way to be with here in her last days was to take the teleporter. Would you?? now?/
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:13:08 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:12:10 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: Now the Moral twist is this..

If your mother was dying on some other planet and the only way to be with here in her last days was to take the teleporter. Would you?? now?/

I'd have her beamed to me!
WOS
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2012 5:14:02 PM
At 7/11/2012 5:12:06 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/11/2012 5:08:59 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I'm guessing you're gonna lose your own consciousness, and a new will be created that was the same as the one before.
No more and no less than you loose your consciousness when you sleep...actually less because it would be quicker than sleep.

It still won't be the original you.
Maybe, but your statement cannot be shown to be true.

It can, those are the different atoms, so it's not the original me.

And I'm not talking about counsciousness, rather, the mind. The process would erase my mind and create new ones.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac