Jump to topic:

Seinfeld and Philosophy

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 8:37:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just discovered a book of essays on the philosophical connections and nuances of probably my ALL TIME favorite show (next to Curb Your Enthusiasm), Seinfeld.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com...

What do you think? Also, if you are familiar with the show and philosophy, what philosophical implications do you think could be derived from the show?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 8:38:59 PM
I think the most obvious example is the end--the 'Good Samaritan' case.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:02:26 PM
At 7/14/2012 8:37:47 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I just discovered a book of essays on the philosophical connections and nuances of probably my ALL TIME favorite show (next to Curb Your Enthusiasm), Seinfeld.

What do you think? Also, if you are familiar with the show and philosophy, what philosophical implications do you think could be derived from the show?

The Fool: I love those shows too. But I don't think its philosopher in the professional sense. I also have book on Beatles and philosphy, that an ex bought me because of my philosophic back round but its not that kind of philosophy. lol
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:13:32 PM
At 7/14/2012 9:02:26 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: I love those shows too. But I don't think its philosopher in the professional sense. I also have book on Beatles and philosphy, that an ex bought me because of my philosophic back round but its not that kind of philosophy. lol

I agree, but that's why I said implications, not specifically the true philosophy expressed.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:32:45 PM

I take it you have a bachelors degree in philosophy?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:37:28 PM
At 7/14/2012 9:32:45 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

The Fool: I have a masters in cognitive science with specialization in philospohy of mind. I am going for my PHD now
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:38:43 PM
At 7/14/2012 9:37:28 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: I have a masters in cognitive science with specialization in philospohy of mind. I am going for my PHD now

The Fool: By bachlelor was in Neuroscience and Philosophy.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:41:09 PM
The Fool: I should have said that in private. It causes anti-intellectualism hate out here. ahh.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:44:32 PM
The Fool: No, I am just making that up. I have a bachlear in philosophy, The rest was all lies..:
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:50:16 PM
At 7/14/2012 9:44:32 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: No, I am just making that up. I have a bachlear in philosophy, The rest was all lies..:

The Fool: That was just another lie.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:50:55 PM

The Fool: Who am I kidding. I claim nothing more then to be A Fool. and that is the truth.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 9:54:01 PM
At 7/14/2012 9:50:55 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: Who am I kidding. I claim nothing more then to be A Fool. and that is the truth.

The Fool: but don't even trust that. Trust only what someone can logically defend. That is what matters in the end.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 10:37:13 PM

I don't know why you won't share your philosophy credentials. You've stressed them on multiple occasions. Do you have something to hide?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 11:08:18 PM
At 7/14/2012 10:37:13 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I don't know why you won't share your philosophy credentials. You've stressed them on multiple occasions. Do you have something to hide?

The Fool: I have already explained why less implicitly then I would like. Secondly, it is a virtue of the philosopher, to be able to defend something from pure reason. I am a Rationalist at heart. No BODY is about logic not even God is above logic.
For what is IS. And even God must be IS. or he does't exist. I am claiming zero credentials, but if you can not logically refute me I will NOT YEILD!! EVER>
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2012 11:14:42 PM
The Fool: So for now you have the Deal with the FOOL!