Jump to topic:

The most common fallacy?

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 9:34:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: what do you think is the most common logial fallacy made by people?

And most importantly Why?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 9:47:47 AM
For average people Wishful Thinking or Appeal to Common Belief. Because people want to believe what they want to believe, or what everyone else believes.

Equivocation (doublespeak) is a favorite of politicians.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 11:41:57 AM
Appeal to Emotion. I've only just realised how many people use this as a valid argument.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 6:48:09 PM
Appeal to tradition.

Has there ever been anything so negative to triumph of reason and the march of progress than the unrelenting trap of holding on to the old, the conventional and the comfortable?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 6:53:48 PM
ad hominem, it is so common yet one of the easiest to avoid.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 6:55:27 PM
At 7/23/2012 11:41:57 AM, jedipengiun wrote:
Appeal to Emotion. I've only just realised how many people use this as a valid argument.

This is an interesting one. In philosophy class I learned that appeals to emotion are bad , in public speaking class I learned they were good. I think it has its place but should be used sparingly.
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 7:43:58 PM
At 7/23/2012 7:00:02 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It's impossible not to appeal to emotion.

The Fool: Depends what you mean. I would argue emotion is motivation. But you can structure you argument to have to not include that as a factor in a decision.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:17:04 PM
One that is often said to be but usually isn't is the Nor True Scotsman argument. If I said no true American is a Communist, that is a valid argument, people might debate me on that but it doesn't negate its validity.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:42:28 PM
At 7/23/2012 9:34:05 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Non sequitor is probably the one I hear most often. It's used so often in my house that I have stopped pointing it out, because it just makes my family angry, which usually leads to ad homs. :P

I think people are genuinely trying to make logical statements, but their subjectivity clouds them about what is actually related to what. It stems from ignorance.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:43:42 PM
My missus ALWAYS strawmans me too, but I don't care about making her angry if I think she's in the wrong so I always call her on it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 7:58:32 PM
At 7/24/2012 7:42:28 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/23/2012 9:34:05 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Non sequitor is probably the one I hear most often. It's used so often in my house that I have stopped pointing it out, because it just makes my family angry, which usually leads to ad homs. :P

I think people are genuinely trying to make logical statements, but their subjectivity clouds them about what is actually related to what. It stems from ignorance.

The Fool: I know Critical thinking skills and family dont' work well together. My mom thinks I a doing some kind of evil word Wizardry..lol
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 8:34:48 PM
At 7/24/2012 7:17:04 PM, BennyW wrote:
One that is often said to be but usually isn't is the Nor True Scotsman argument. If I said no true American is a Communist, that is a valid argument, people might debate me on that but it doesn't negate its validity.

Well, most logical fallacies are not always logical fallacies.

For example, "no true Christian would tell a lie" commits the No True Scotsman fallacy.

"No true Christian denies God exists" would not commit the No True Scotsman fallacy since belief in God is necessary for Christian faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2012 10:41:58 PM

No it isn't, It's called having a spine and not telling people what they want to hear regardless of whether or not it hurts their feelings. I'm real good at it. I tell it like it is every time. I have been complimented on this trait by many people. I am often asked my opinion on many things, especially about other people. I will never give a good reference to make someone look good or to help them out if I think they suck. I will say they suck or are unreliable. There are no surprises when you deal with me. If you suck, I'll say it to your face if you are hindering me in some way.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 9:18:20 AM
At 7/24/2012 10:41:58 PM, sadolite wrote:

No it isn't, It's called having a spine and not telling people what they want to hear regardless of whether or not it hurts their feelings. I'm real good at it. I tell it like it is every time. I have been complimented on this trait by many people. I am often asked my opinion on many things, especially about other people. I will never give a good reference to make someone look good or to help them out if I think they suck. I will say they suck or are unreliable. There are no surprises when you deal with me. If you suck, I'll say it to your face if you are hindering me in some way.

I... don't think you quite understand the question.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 9:21:38 AM
The most common ones I encounter are probably begging the question and non-sequitur.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 9:26:28 AM

This statement appeals to emotion by invoking a sense of shame in cowardice in other people by not behaving in a manner you approve of.

If you think his statement is wrong, then I challenge you to present some assertion, and defend it as true, without appealing to emotion.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2012 11:14:36 PM
At 7/23/2012 11:55:39 AM, drafterman wrote:
False accusations of ad hominem are far more common than actual ad hominems.

This is so true. If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone counter "you're stupid" with an accusation of ad hominem....I'd probably have like 35 cents.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 2:04:16 PM

That's a case of honesty instead of sycophancy...not an appeal to emotion as implied in an argument.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau