Jump to topic:

The Hardest Lesson to Teach!.

The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 5:19:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: I would consider this part of the Code of the philosopher.

"It is so difficult to get people who have been conditioned to resent criticsm and expect it to be resented, and therefore to keep silent about both their own mistakes and others--to provide the criticisms on which improvements depends; but no one can possibley give us more service than to show us what is wrong what we think or do; and the bigger the fault the bigger the improvement made possible by its revelation. The man who welcomes and acts on criticisms will prize it almost above friendship: the man who fights it out of concern to maintain his position is clinging to non-growth"
Karl Popper The logic of scientic discovery

Do you approve why or why not?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2012 7:10:48 PM
At 7/23/2012 5:19:07 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

"It is so difficult to get people who have been conditioned to resent criticsm and expect it to be resented, and therefore to keep silent about both their own mistakes and others--to provide the criticisms on which improvements depends; but no one can possibley give us more service than to show us what is wrong what we think or do; and the bigger the fault the bigger the improvement made possible by its revelation. The man who welcomes and acts on criticisms will prize it almost above friendship: the man who fights it out of concern to maintain his position is clinging to non-growth"

At 7/23/2012 5:19:07 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

I agree, but I am going to have to qualify that. I am a type A personality. I speak my mind and I tend to dominate any situation I am publicly in. That wasn't always the case, but increasingly it is. When necessary, I give sharp and direct (but respectful) criticism ONLY where it is advantageous for me to do so (unless I am on DDO, where I have no problem calling people out).

Living ones life in that way, though, has some consequences. More than one person has told me that I am intimidating, even to converse with. I am very prone to win/loss conversations and MOST people have no idea how to take criticism productively. This is -I think- the single greatest reason for bureaucratic inefficiency in the business world. Where egos get bruised people get petulant and resentful, which -though bullsh!t- is damn nearly unavoidable- unless you staff your company/group/department with the type of individual who want's to improve themselves.

The worst person to take criticism are those who are incompetent but have a chip on their shoulder. These are usually 18-25 year old white males who were raised in suburbia (but who have never had a physically strenuous job in their lives). They internalize, they plot and they gossip whenever they are not b!tching and moaning. I am the kind of person who either breaks their complex or runs them out of town.

That being said, I do my best to distance my personal feelings from significant decisions because I know if I react rather then act, I will almost always get the decision wrong. If I have made a mistake though, I always take responsibility for it (because in addition to being the right thing to do, it usually makes you more respected with people who matter). The person who ostracizes another who takes responsibility is usually the kind of person who will be canabalized by the workforce for not conducting himself/herself in good faith.

The important thing though about criticism though, wether giving or receiving, is to clarify your -good- intentions for the exercise. Criticism is a salutary exercise in that regard (hurts now, but will be good later). Even still it can usually be advantageous to, as Dale Carnegie said, lather a man before you shave him. This isn't a lesson that one person can teach another though. It's the kind that a person has to learn for themselves.
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:13:02 PM
Bump
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:47:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it's some kind of math. Trig kicked my butt.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 12:02:07 AM
At 8/6/2012 11:40:18 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 8/6/2012 11:13:02 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Bump

*yawn*

The Fool: do you understand it?? what does mean.??