Jump to topic:

logic/Intellect vs. Emotion/Feeling/Intuition

truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 9:47:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I feel Intellect is superior to Intuition, but can it be proved logically?
What makes logic/reason superior to feeling?
Why do we rely on logic/reasoning over intuition?
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 9:49:30 AM
At 8/6/2012 9:47:35 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

No. Hume's fork.

The goals you wish to achieve. There is no such thing as objective superiority. That qualification is only made relevant in terms of what the goal or purpose you have set.

We don't. Not exclusively, anyway.
truthseeker613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:18:44 AM
From your 2nd ans it seems that there is no absolute truth.
http://www.nydailynews.com...

royalpaladin: I'd rather support people who kill spies than a nation that organizes assassination squads (Kidon) to illegally enter into other nations and kill anybody who is not a Zionist. Who knows when they'll kill me for the crime of not supporting Israel?

Koopin: LOL! I just imagine Royal sitting in here apartment at night, when suddenly she hears a man outside speaking Hebrew as sh
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:32:05 AM
At 8/6/2012 10:18:44 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

Not at all. Just that some things don't make sense without the appropriate context.

If I asked you what is the best way to get to a destination you would need to know the destination in order to answer that question, wouldn't you? Logic and intuition are ways of getting to a destination. Until you tell us what your destination is, we can't measure the value of each.

Not, ostensibly, the destination is truth. In which case I might concede that logic has many advantages that intuition does not.

However, the purpose of intuition is not to arrive at truth. The purpose of intuition is to keep you alive. You might as well be contrasting a spoon and a knife for the purposes of cutting your food. Yes, one is better, but that's hardly fair to the spoon.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:32:43 AM
At 8/6/2012 10:32:05 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/6/2012 10:18:44 AM, truthseeker613 wrote:

Not at all. Just that some things don't make sense without the appropriate context.

If I asked you what is the best way to get to a destination you would need to know the destination in order to answer that question, wouldn't you? Logic and intuition are ways of getting to a destination. Until you tell us what your destination is, we can't measure the value of each.

Now, ostensibly, the destination is truth. In which case I might concede that logic has many advantages that intuition does not.

However, the purpose of intuition is not to arrive at truth. The purpose of intuition is to keep you alive. You might as well be contrasting a spoon and a knife for the purposes of cutting your food. Yes, one is better, but that's hardly fair to the spoon.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:35:55 AM

Intellect and intuition are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Logic and reason are superior to "feeling," because logic and reason are essentially "feelings" processed through a series of tests through which we determine validity.

We don't rely on logic/reasoning more that tuition. There are appropriate applications of both, and as I said before, they're not mutually exclusive.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 10:46:37 AM
Behind many of our intellectual beliefs lies feeling and intuition, in other words, an assertion which is unfounded in logic or reason. That doesn't invalidate it per se, it just adds a different level of analysis.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:06:15 AM
At 8/6/2012 10:35:55 AM, Ren wrote:

Intellect and intuition are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Logic and reason are superior to "feeling," because logic and reason are essentially "feelings" processed through a series of tests through which we determine validity.

We don't rely on logic/reasoning more that tuition. There are appropriate applications of both, and as I said before, they're not mutually exclusive.

I think you are right. I take it another step, however. There is no intuition without logic/facts. In other words a gut feel or intuition is completely random unless someone has past experience and knowledge in the area in question.

Intuition is good to use in situations where analysis is so complex it it cost prohibitive or yields unreliable results. On the flip side when marketing departments were solely run on intuition it is like throwing money away.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 8:51:31 PM
Intelect over intuition?

Intelect is based on our logical intuition.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:36:37 PM
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." -Albert Einstein

First of all, most people use their emotions and intuitions almost exclusively, and only use logic if hard pressed. The problem with that is, their intuitions become baseless and have no support by rational knowledge. So they wander through life aimlessly reacting to things.

On the other hand, there is a minority that has most of the influence on the world because they can think logically, but they have a tendency to over-think, over-plan, and over-systematize things to the point where they can't make decisions based on emotion or listen to their gut anymore. So they have a propensity for callousness and selfishness, and this combined with the aimless majority can explain many of the world's problems.

As Drafterman said, one is good for certain situations, and the other for different situations. The trick is learning which is which.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 1:55:45 PM
Yeah, I think intuition can actually be pretty valuable sometimes, in the right context. I've been getting the impression that it's just quickfire reasoning that gives you an output without tracing out the specific derivations that got you there. So, it's quicker, but you also lose the benefit of being able to show your work unless you sit down and dissect whatever intuition you have. I mean, when you read an argument and "just know" that something's wrong with it without knowing precisely what, that's intuition. When you work in a profession, you develop an intuition about your craft that laymen couldn't possibly match.

I think, at the limit, the line gets really blurry. When does reasoning become intuition? How quickly do you have to come up with an answer, how many steps in your chain of explicit reasoning have to be omitted, before it's "intuitive"? If you have a "eureka" moment while you're staring at a problem, is it a rational epiphany or a miracle of intuition?

It's just tough because "We have an intuition that X" is kind of like an ace high if you're trying to *argue* with someone about a conclusion. If you have nothing else, you win because you've got a trump, but even the lowest real hand can beat it.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:13:47 PM
At 8/7/2012 1:55:45 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yeah, I think intuition can actually be pretty valuable sometimes, in the right context. I've been getting the impression that it's just quickfire reasoning that gives you an output without tracing out the specific derivations that got you there. So, it's quicker, but you also lose the benefit of being able to show your work unless you sit down and dissect whatever intuition you have. I mean, when you read an argument and "just know" that something's wrong with it without knowing precisely what, that's intuition. When you work in a profession, you develop an intuition about your craft that laymen couldn't possibly match.

Yep.

John Dewey quest for certainty:
The word "taste" has perhaps got too completely associated with arbitrary liking to express the nature of judgments of value. But if the word be used in the sense of an appreciation at once cultivated and active, one may say that the formation of taste is the chief matter wherever values enter in, whether intellectual, esthetic or moral. Relatively immediate judgments, which we call tact or to which we give the name of intuition, do not precede reflective inquiry, but are the funded products of much thoughtful experience. Expertness of taste is at once the result and reward of constant exercise of thinking. Instead of there being no disputing about tastes, they are the one thing worth disputing about, if by "dispute" is signified discussion involving reflective inquiry. Taste, if we use the word in it's best sense, is the outcome of experience brought cumulatively to bear upon the intelligent appreciation of the real worth of likings and enjoyments.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2012 9:17:30 PM
At 8/7/2012 9:13:47 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/7/2012 1:55:45 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yep.

John Dewey quest for certainty:
The word "taste" has perhaps got too completely associated with arbitrary liking to express the nature of judgments of value. But if the word be used in the sense of an appreciation at once cultivated and active, one may say that the formation of taste is the chief matter wherever values enter in, whether intellectual, esthetic or moral. Relatively immediate judgments, which we call tact or to which we give the name of intuition, do not precede reflective inquiry, but are the funded products of much thoughtful experience. Expertness of taste is at once the result and reward of constant exercise of thinking. Instead of there being no disputing about tastes, they are the one thing worth disputing about, if by "dispute" is signified discussion involving reflective inquiry. Taste, if we use the word in it's best sense, is the outcome of experience brought cumulatively to bear upon the intelligent appreciation of the real worth of likings and enjoyments.

also he says how having such a capacity allows us to actually Access and Use all that stuff we think about in an efficient, timely, manner.

Intuitions are derived From all you know.. Have Reasons behind them...

But their presenting themselves so immediately, and kind of Simply, allows you to actually use that complex product immediately.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 8:15:27 AM

You feel intellect is superior to intuition?

How curiously paradoxical...
Tsar of DDO
Brain_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:03:56 PM

That's actually a more interesting question then might first be thought. Intuition can be quite reliable when coming from a expert at a specific task. The brain will adapt better processing methods and be more readily able to spot shortcuts after rigorous training. There's the famous examples of firefighters suddenly anticipating that the floor beneath them is going to collapse when there's seemly know way they could know, or the chess player that has a split-second vision and than knows exactly what move they should make. These type of occurrences are the result of unconscious processes from that of a very skilled brain.

The divide you make between logic and feeling (emotion) is also hard to imagine. No one does anything based purely on logic. There has to be some sort of emotional underpinning. Action or behavior is driven by emotion and logic is it's modulator. Without emotion you wouldn't get up in the morning, you would likely lay on your back till you starved to death.

We rely on reasoning and logic over intuition because it's a more systematic way to seemly stay in-tune with reality. Intuitions are not always reliable, and because we can't know what sort of unconscious processes resulted into our intuitions it can be difficult to tell which are reasonably reliable and which are not. Also intuition/automatic response is a poor statistician and poor with specific rules in general. To emphasis this recognize how if a comprehensible word is put into view the meaning immediately pops into your consciousness. You can't chose not to read it, the process is immediate and takes very little effort. Compare this to answering the equation 12 x 56. This takes more effort and in fact your automatic response has seemly no answer to provide.

Sorry I'm sure you wanted more of a philosophical response, but I couldn't help but share a little psychology/neuroscience.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 5:47:49 PM
Emotion is part of decision making. We can weigh pros and cons, but if we cannot mentally attach "pro" to "good-feeling outcome" and "con" to "bad-feeling outcome" our ability to make the simplest of choices becomes nearly paralyzed.

http://changingminds.org...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:15:28 PM
Very few animals have logic and intellect. Other than humans, no other animal has it to a significant extent, as far as we know. Evolutionarily speaking, the capacity for these higher functions are expensive. It says something about mankind that we were able to reach these heights.

As far as evolution is concerned, logic and intellect are objectively superior to emotions and instinct as the cost is greater and the pay-offs, as we've proven ourselves, are beyond imagination.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 1:21:49 PM

Your intellect doesnt serve you when you are dealing with emotional trauma, does it?

I dont think either is more important, they all work together.
KGee1987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2014 10:00:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/6/2012 9:49:30 AM, drafterman wrote:

No. Hume's fork.

The goals you wish to achieve. There is no such thing as objective superiority. That qualification is only made relevant in terms of what the goal or purpose you have set.

We don't. Not exclusively, anyway.

There are pursuits where raw intellect is necessary, such as mathematics, physics, any of the natural sciences. But if raw intellect, which relies on logic, cannot prove itself logically, over intuition, then what good is logic and reasoning? Sometimes it gets stuck. That is when intuition can come to the rescue, if you have the awareness to use it properly. Intuition isn't perfect either, but I have as of my personal life found it valuable indeed. But strong emotion can get in the way of intuition, so therefore logic can restrain emotion to a degree.

Damnit! I just went around in circles!