Jump to topic:

Near-Descartes Uncertainty

Shammalado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 9:00:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I recently had a debate with a friend of mine whether or not a modification of Descartes' "Cogito Ergo Sum" contradicts itself. I posed that I can be certain of only two things: 1.) That I am thinking and 2.) Uncertainty in everything except these two points. I am not uncertain of my certainty of uncertainty. I can be absolutely certain of 1. and 2. I made a diagram of this and a more in-depth explanation which can be found here (please ignore the double negatives in my negations) :
http://word.office.live.com...
I'm coming to this forum to find people well-versed in logical fallacies and self-contradictory statements, so that they can analyze this and tell me what is wrong with it. Thank you for your insight!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2012 9:41:45 PM
This isn't intirely relevant to the reason for your making this thread, but if you are uncertain of everything else, wouldn't that mean you are uncertain you have a correct understanding of logic? And if you are uncertain of your understanding of logic, would that not mean you are uncertain of any logical statement including the ones you stated?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 5:07:21 AM
At 8/8/2012 9:41:45 PM, phantom wrote:
This isn't intirely relevant to the reason for your making this thread, but if you are uncertain of everything else, wouldn't that mean you are uncertain you have a correct understanding of logic? And if you are uncertain of your understanding of logic, would that not mean you are uncertain of any logical statement including the ones you stated?

The Fool: Most don'over look that you can't even know uncertainty if you don't know what certainty is in first place. Therefore it follows by necessity there are certaintly. Its a illusion of langauge. That is lanuage makes us believe in things so stupid that an animal can't possible do.

Just think, to be with out langauge you just have perception intuition and still ideas. But you existence is an intuition. You couldn't break what is IS! because all perception are true as intuitions. There is no possible way to contradict youself. But when we mistake the 'word' for the reality they are meant to symbolize. we get crazy.crazy!!. People get fooled out of there MIND. Literally they can be convined that they have NO MIND/no consciousnes.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL