Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 9:55:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who is your favorite philosopher?
Why?
What's your favorite notable idea advanced by him or her?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 10:04:21 PM
At 8/18/2012 9:55:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Why?

Kant, laid the foundation for the synthesis of rationalism & empiricism in epistemology. We can essentially thank him for science, the greatest human achievement.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 10:06:47 PM
Immanuel Kant for the categorical imperative and for systematic analytical methods to philosophy.

A.J. Ayer for the analysis of nonsense questions.

Percy Bridgeman for operationalism in the philosophy of science. Bridgeman argues that what things like length and time are is defined by how they are measured.
Reason_Alliance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 10:10:38 PM
At 8/18/2012 10:06:47 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Immanuel Kant for the categorical imperative and for systematic analytical methods to philosophy.

A.J. Ayer for the analysis of nonsense questions.

Percy Bridgeman for operationalism in the philosophy of science. Bridgeman argues that what things like length and time are is defined by how they are measured.

Percy W. Bridgman? ... He was a physicist who wrote on the phil of sci.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 10:58:07 PM
Why?

I ain't picking one, that would seem counter productive to gaining knowledge and wisdom know wouldn't it.

Aristotle - Putting together the bad types of reasoning that we use to justify belief commonly now known as logical fallacies.

Hitches/Harris - All their insights/observations on various religious attitudes/beliefs and how they are maintained/rationalized even in light of evidence and reason.

Jesus - Do unto others......................enough said.

Do you think God was punishing these people cause they were worse than everyone else ? Refutation of the doctrine that bad things happening = God is punishing you.

Just of the top of my head.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:18:06 PM
Why?

Wittgenstein for killing philosophy.

(just kidding, lol)
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:21:30 PM
Why?

The Fool: Well think Kant was the most intellegent over all. But I mean he is not that enjoyable to read at all. But you get alot out of it. I don't think 80% of people actually graps what he is saying. Philosophy is often taught out of the context of the time to really grasp what they mean. His foundation philosophy is the Critique, so everything else is out of context.

I am pretty strict in what I consider philosophy. The 'Word' philosophy Has been so abused that it really has not meaning. I Only consider Critical philosophy as anysort of rational philosophy. For me its Greeks then jump to Francis bacon, To Decartes and up until kant.

The Fool: The enlightment is really what philosophy is suppost to be. Hegal is the shift from rationality to Absurd and then to pure brain pollution. Its like he read Kant and didn;t understand anything, and so thought philosophy was just writing absolute absurd and vague non-sense, but without the intellegence. After that people just used the name philosophy, but it would be just pure Religion/idealogy. The There was no more rigor, or rationality. The may use the "word" rationally but they warped the definition. I think the positivist did more damage then good. I always used to like them the best. Because it had a simple common sense notion. But I could easily argue that the logic is even worse, and at this point its only logic by NAME. Its bullSh!t. There is no LOGICS. There is nothing rational about something comming out true in a system and not in another. They abusing it to fit what they want. Paralogic is to try and not be accountible for contradiction. Its being abused to justify nonsense.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:23:49 PM
Kant for being homies with Frederick the Great in Prussia...also for categorical imperatives and The Critique of Pure Reason.

Gandhi for pacifism.

Plato for writing stuff I can actually fvcking understand.

And Homer Simpson for his infinite wisdom.
Sapere Aude!
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 11:24:26 PM
At 8/18/2012 11:21:30 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
Why?

The Fool: Well think Kant was the most intellegent over all. But I mean he is not that enjoyable to read at all. But you get alot out of it. I don't think 80% of people actually graps what he is saying. Philosophy is often taught out of the context of the time to really grasp what they mean. His foundation philosophy is the Critique, so everything else is out of context.

I am pretty strict in what I consider philosophy. The 'Word' philosophy Has been so abused that it really has not meaning. I Only consider Critical philosophy as anysort of rational philosophy. For me its Greeks then jump to Francis bacon, To Decartes and up until kant.

The Fool: The enlightment is really what philosophy is suppost to be. Hegal is the shift from rationality to Absurd and then to pure brain pollution. Its like he read Kant and didn;t understand anything, and so thought philosophy was just writing absolute absurd and vague non-sense, but without the intellegence. After that people just used the name philosophy, but it would be just pure Religion/idealogy. The There was no more rigor, or rationality. The may use the "word" rationally but they warped the definition. I think the positivist did more damage then good. I always used to like them the best. Because it had a simple common sense notion. But I could easily argue that the logic is even worse, and at this point its only logic by NAME. Its bullSh!t. There is no LOGICS. There is nothing rational about something comming out true in a system and not in another. They abusing it to fit what they want. Paralogic is to try and not be accountible for contradiction. Its being abused to justify nonsense.

What you think about Bertrand Russell, out of curiosity?
Tsar of DDO
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 12:31:05 AM
At 8/18/2012 11:24:26 PM, YYW wrote:
Why?

The Fool: I always liked them, both him witt. But they were so careless. They tried to physicalize everything, and simply call everything else non-existiing. Like if you said I am in pain. They would say that a non-sense statement. Why? because it could never be objectivly verified. They had Good intention. Which was to really get rid of all ideology. They were reacting strongly to that kind of philosophy. But it cause the pendelum to go to fair to physicalsm. I would argue with a good argument. They were just flat out wrong. Things that were so simple to enlightment philosophers like what a proposition? Were straight forward understood as a conclusive [Idea] So by cutting out [idea] aka Thoughts. Which is the necessary condition to state anything.
They tried to define into existence physicalized versions. Like the sentence was the meaning itself. Then confused the sentences with actual thinking. They tried to prove math with logic. (other way around) As far as my studies go. Notion about the mind are not true or false. That ridiculas. Even the conception of not true or not false is STUPID. They are just thinks that others couldn't possibity Fvck up on. They did by trying force in physicalism. I like him. He hated Kant too. He thought he was on of the worse. Because he didnt understand it.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 12:38:06 AM
Neitszche
Why?
He has a cool stache
His take on morality and Religion.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 12:39:32 AM
The Fool: There effect still keep people niave about science. Because its easy,

Silly things like this. Consciousness is experience right.. However people today and now and here will deny there own consiousness as illusion. But at the same time saying that science is EMPIRICAL.
Do you get the problem here???
If nobody is conscious who is making the observations unconsciously....or our they just having emprical illusions. <(89)
I they good luck to those people.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 2:52:17 AM
At 8/19/2012 12:31:05 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 8/18/2012 11:24:26 PM, YYW wrote:
Why?

The Fool: I always liked them, both him witt. But they were so careless. They tried to physicalize everything, and simply call everything else non-existiing. Like if you said I am in pain. They would say that a non-sense statement. Why? because it could never be objectivly verified. They had Good intention. Which was to really get rid of all ideology. They were reacting strongly to that kind of philosophy. But it cause the pendelum to go to fair to physicalsm. I would argue with a good argument. They were just flat out wrong. Things that were so simple to enlightment philosophers like what a proposition? Were straight forward understood as a conclusive [Idea] So by cutting out [idea] aka Thoughts. Which is the necessary condition to state anything.
They tried to define into existence physicalized versions. Like the sentence was the meaning itself. Then confused the sentences with actual thinking. They tried to prove math with logic. (other way around) As far as my studies go. Notion about the mind are not true or false. That ridiculas. Even the conception of not true or not false is STUPID. They are just thinks that others couldn't possibity Fvck up on. They did by trying force in physicalism. I like him. He hated Kant too. He thought he was on of the worse. Because he didnt understand it.

Russell was careless... but Wittgenstein? Careless isn't the adjective I would employ... do elaborate.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 2:53:13 AM
At 8/19/2012 12:38:06 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Neitszche
Why?
He has a cool stache
His take on morality and Religion.

I love Nietzsche, but even more then reading Nietzsche I love reading essays by philosophy students on Nietzsche.
Tsar of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 7:19:39 AM

Kant

Why?

His synthesis of rationalism and empiricism. The categorical imperative. His advancement of moral motivism which made me stop being a utilitarianist and start formulating my own philosophy. His other writings on morality. Finding out he had the same qualm with the ontological argument that I did. His writings on free-will initiating a thought process that made me change to soft-determinism.

Not sure.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 7:25:54 AM
At 8/19/2012 2:53:13 AM, YYW wrote:
I love Nietzsche, but even more then reading Nietzsche I love reading essays by philosophy students on Nietzsche.

lol, true
President of DDO
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 7:41:33 AM
All this talk about Nietzsche, havn't read much of him mostly in summary form. But here is my impression of what he is about.....

1) God is dead

2) You can't find meaning in something that has no meaning to begin with, and existence is as such, so stop trying to find meaning in it cause it ain't there.

3) Embrace the absurdity of it all.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 1:14:56 PM
Why?

The man who first said "Quit your belly achin and get back to work. No one cares what you think"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 4:45:36 PM
At 8/19/2012 3:46:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I would have to say Marx and Rawls.

The Fool: The suffering., The horror.................
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:40:24 PM
At 8/19/2012 7:26:59 AM, Danielle wrote:
Kant was really important but extremely dry. I could barely get through it.

Me too.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2012 5:40:37 PM
At 8/19/2012 4:45:36 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 8/19/2012 3:46:08 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I would have to say Marx and Rawls.

The Fool: The suffering., The horror.................

This.
Tsar of DDO
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 12:25:45 AM
I would say I have three favorate philosopher. They are Emma Goldmen, Christopher Hitchens, and Karl Marx

Why?
Atheism, Socialism, and Anarchism are my thing and my intellectual influences bare the fruit of this.

Anarchism, Atheism, and Historical Materialism
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 2:38:05 PM
At 8/19/2012 7:41:33 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
All this talk about Nietzsche, havn't read much of him mostly in summary form. But here is my impression of what he is about.....

1) God is dead

2) You can't find meaning in something that has no meaning to begin with, and existence is as such, so stop trying to find meaning in it cause it ain't there.

3) Embrace the absurdity of it all.

It sounds like Nietzshe would get along wonderfully with the Joker.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:40:49 PM
Honestly haven't read them all enough to be sure, but I doubt anyone could displace Nietzsche from my top spot. He tore into Christianity, and especially the Church, with much-deserved criticism. He also saw right through the prejudices of his time and especially his fellow philosophers in order to strike at ideas closer to the truth. He vigorously, and angrily, tried to break away from counterproductive philosophical traditions. I think the concept he was trying to express in terms of "the Will to Power" could do more to explain human behavior, and maybe even existence, than anything else.

Socrates deserves a very honorable mention for his method, I think Einstein is under appreciated as a philosopher, and I really like some of Bertrand Russell's thoughts and opinions.

I've actually just bookmarked a good amount of pages on IEP and downloaded some works by some philosophers, so I really need to brush up to have a more refined opinion.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
mark.marrocco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:42:02 PM
Forgot one. Robert Anton Wilson for his model agnosticism and criticisms of, and enquiry into, beliefs and belief systems.
"Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2012 5:45:08 PM
I just started reading Justice for Hedgehogs today, but I know that Ronald Dworkin makes my top three list. He's very easy to follow and his arguments make sense.