Jump to topic:

Philosophical Problem of Transportation

Hume
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 12:59:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Had a big debate on this one with my friend.

Let there be two transportation modules, A and B, distinct from each other.

Let us say that when person P goes into the module A, he is "transported" to module B. The method is a deconstruction of person P's atoms at module A and reconstruction of his structure with (let us stipulate) a 100% accuracy at module B with not necessarily the original atoms by which P was composed.

Let's call this person in module B, Q. Q has all of P's memory, character, and physical appearance. Module A is empty.

Does P = Q?
Hume
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 1:05:21 AM
My response in the negative, i.e. P =/= Q, was as such:

Consider a person P who has been cloned unwittingly. The clone, to be called Q, has been cloned at a different facility so that he doesn't know of P's existence and has the semblance, memory, and the personality of P. For all intent and purposes, Q believes he is P, because Q has P's memory and P does not know that he has been cloned in the first place.

Now, the only thing different between this and the transportation situation is that P still exists. Kill P. Now, what difference remains?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:05:11 AM
At 9/20/2012 1:05:21 AM, Hume wrote:
My response in the negative, i.e. P =/= Q, was as such:

Consider a person P who has been cloned unwittingly. The clone, to be called Q, has been cloned at a different facility so that he doesn't know of P's existence and has the semblance, memory, and the personality of P. For all intent and purposes, Q believes he is P, because Q has P's memory and P does not know that he has been cloned in the first place.

Now, the only thing different between this and the transportation situation is that P still exists. Kill P. Now, what difference remains?

The Fool: The original conscious Entity. The that fact that we were sure the first time.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:18:01 AM
"Consider yourself. I want you to imagine a scene from your childhood. Pick something evocative... Something you can remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren't you? How else would you remember it? But here is the bombshell: you WEREN'T there. Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place. Every bit of you has been replaced many times over... The point is that you are like a cloud: something that persists over long periods, whilst simultaneously being in flux. Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you. Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made."

- Steve Grand
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 2:24:12 AM
Your screen name is Hume so I assume you're already aware of bundle theory of self.

Resolves such issues.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord