Jump to topic:

What is Love? (Baby Don't...)

SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 10:40:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a question that was presented in my last year's philosophy class. Quite an interesting question, I think. Let me know what you think of it:

Imagine the following scenario: You are married and in your 40s. You and your spouse have raised a daughter whom you have just helped move into her dorm to begin her freshmen year in college. She has always been a responsible person and academically gifted and disciplined, with a life of great potential ahead of her. One night, she goes out with a few of her new friends from college to a social event and although she behaves responsibly, she is unaware that the person who drove her there subsequently began drinking. When she gets in he car to go home, she does not know that the driver is impaired. At 2am you receive a phone call from a hospital telling you that your daughter has been in an accident and she is on life support. You are urged to get there as soon as possible, because her doctors doubt that she will survive the night. When you arrive, you are told that your daughter is in a coma, and if she does recover she will need extensive and prolonged reconstructive surgery. Then her doctor tells you the following:

"I know that you are currently filled with much fear and anguish, and that you probably feel like you're about to fall apart and you cannot function. Strange as it may sound, this is actually because you are experiencing a biochemical and neurological process to which we have given the label 'love,' that is probably just some sort of evolutionary survival survival mechanism that is really no longer necessary. If you would like, I can prescribe a pill for you that will restore those processes to normal, and you will be able to function normally without all the terrible feelings you are now experiencing. You will be indifferent to your daughter's condition, but your indifference won't bother you and the fact is there isn't anything you can do about her condition anyway. You might also be concerned that if your daughter awakens from her coma and you are not here she ill miss your presence and this might in some way negatively impact her recovery, but we can administer the same drug to her as well, and she will feel fine. She will be just as indifferent to your absence as you are to her condition."

Would you take the drug? Why or why not? Before you answer (lest you think the answer is a simple one), read the accompanying article "Could We Reduce Love to a Pill," which might complicate things a bit...Whatever your answer, be sure to think it through philosophically. Also provide a definition of what love is.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 10:50:06 PM
...hurt me, NO MORE!

What is love?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 10:57:16 PM
I suppose the only reason not to take the pill would be if the pain and sadness were supposed to perform some specific function but I can't really see what that would be. So I guess I can't see a reason not to but then again I don't have a kid and have never been put in such a situation so I don't know how much of a position to answer.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2012 11:50:52 PM
I would punch myself in the face and run away to the circus where I make a living gargling pickles with my eyeballs.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 9:16:57 AM
Hardship and love this woman's whole life is crashing down. (i'm taking the mother approach) Its affecting not only her emotions but is affecting her body aswell. I would think this lady dry heaves and cant eat. I would say she cant stop crying and is angry with her daughter, and more angry with the driver.
Love is an emotion that causes feelings, feelings can impact your life span. Happy People live longer, depressed and stressed people have strokes and hard attacks. It is possible this woman could die of a broken heart if and when the daughter passes.

No I would not take the drug...
What happens when we cut yourself off of what makes us human, emotion?
What happens when she stops taking the drug?
The something that happens when you just jump into cholesterol medicine and then stop taking it. Your cholesterol shoots higher then what it was b/4.
Why you ask, b/c your body is amazing and can learn to deal with things. Its much better to control your cholesterol first, then to jump for the pill.

My number one reason for not taking the pill.
If you take their emotions away you take away the very thing that makes them human, and many mistakes can be made without emotion.
Me
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 9:27:18 AM
At 9/20/2012 10:50:06 PM, OberHerr wrote:
...hurt me, NO MORE!

What is love?

The title was made so that someone wouldn't do that...
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:04:56 PM
This is very reminiscent of the plot of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:25:58 PM
At 9/23/2012 7:04:56 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Lol Jim Carry is in the above video.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:33:59 PM
At 9/23/2012 7:25:58 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/23/2012 7:04:56 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Lol Jim Carry is in the above video.

It's a sign! http://www.myfacewhen.net...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:39:14 PM
At 9/20/2012 11:50:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I would punch myself in the face and run away to the circus where I make a living gargling pickles with my eyeballs.

Sounds fun! I'd join you as the guy supplying the pickles
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2012 7:50:35 PM
Honestly, my answer would be no. Why? Because emotions like Love, Anger, Frustration, Jealousy, Greed, are what make us human. Its what makes us, well, us, for lack of a better way of explaining it. If you took away all emotions, and made it so nothing angered a person, a person couldnt fall in love, then we would lose our humanity. We would cease to be humans, and just become emotionless machines.

And even though emotions lead us to do a great and many evil things, those same emotions lead us to do even greater good.

As for what I believe love is, well there really isnt a concrete explanation imo. It can mean a different number of things. Love between a husband and wife, is different than love between family. Its different than love between friends. This is the basis that I consider applies for all "loving relationships."

When you love another person you will always be there for them, to help them when they need it. Whether ur in a partnership, with family, or friends, it doesnt change that you will do what is necessary to help them, even if you are angry with them. That still doesnt change that you love that person.

Anywho, I've put in my two cents, take it or leave it
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion