Jump to topic:

From Natural to Ethical Philosophy

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2012 4:37:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not sure if trolling or starting a discussion. I'll assume it's the latter. I mirror Hume on this topic. You know, is-ought problem and all. I'm assuming by natural philosophy you mean like metaphysics which deals with the nature of reality and the world. If that's so there seems to be an unsupported epistemic jump between knowing how things are (which is doubtful by itself) and knowing how they ought to be.

The responses to the problem are unsatisfactory. Discourse ethics comes close I suppose but it only works as far as communicative discourse is concerned. Like no ethical philosophy could be rationally defended which denied it but that doesn't mean that there's a right ethical philosophy in the first place. And I don't see it as necessarily pertaining to reality, but only to our imperfect modes of communication. You can't argumentatively justify solipsism but that doesn't mean you're not *actually* the only mind.

And don't get me started on institutional facts. Oh herp I promised to pay you back so now I'm morally obligated to do so. None of that.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.