Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Why Study Philosophy?

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:06:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This is a serious, honest question. Not a criticism.

In your opinion (if you are a student of philosophy in any capacity), why should one study it?

If for some reason you think we SHOULDN'T, then why not?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
EvanK
Posts: 599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:13:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just speaking from my experience, I enjoy the logic and thinking that goes into it. I have been trying to read what I can on the web (my local library is sh#t and carries little of any value) and watch things on youtube (suprisingly good source for college philosophy classes, nothing big but it gives you an idea of what it entails) and so I have become very fascinated with it. I plan on studying it alongside something else (a science I think) in college. I have heard that those who major in philosophy do better on things like the LSAT, because of the logic and critical thinking involved in philosophy.

Other than that, just seeing the different points of view on things is pretty fascinating to me.

So, that is why I plan on studying it, anyway. I'll be interested to see what others say.
The problem with socialism is that, sooner or later, you run out of people's money."_Margaret Thatcher

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."_Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."_Thomas Jefferson

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them that they have been fooled."-Mark Twain
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:19:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The reality is that there are limits to what we can understand... and the fact that we have a relentless curiosity is a cruel joked played upon humanity. When we are born and as we grow up, we operate under such a comfortable set of perceptions that grounds reality in meaning, a subjective cocoon that is warm and inviting in its elegant simplicity. Questioning and investigation upon this veil of assumptions is like corrosive acid poured on a thin shield. The only conclusion left is thus...all we are certain of is that we are certain of nothing.

The confusion from such bare exposure to the uncertainty of everything is ineffable and mysterious, as if we are on the cusp of what understanding nature permitted us to have. This is some version of intellectual torture. And in relevance to this thread, I think we should ask ourselves is it practically worth it.....I'd say no.

"Ignorance is bliss" really shouldn't be so pejorative in its connotation.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:22:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
-Thinking critically and rationally is useful in everyday life.
-The focus on things like "the good life" are useful to pretty much everyone.
-Philosophical thought to some people is pleasurable in itself.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:23:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 7:22:12 PM, socialpinko wrote:
-Thinking critically and rationally is useful in everyday life.
-The focus on things like "the good life" are useful to pretty much everyone.
-Philosophical thought to some people is pleasurable in itself.

Agree with all of that, plus the curiosity factor of me being an Atheist furthers me to develop some understanding/unrealistic meaning of life. I use philosophy as my escape from religion, as Atheism is a dead end (Or so i believe)
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:27:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 7:19:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
The reality is that there are limits to what we can understand... and the fact that we have a relentless curiosity is a cruel joked played upon humanity. When we are born and as we grow up, we operate under such a comfortable set of perceptions that grounds reality in meaning, a subjective cocoon that is warm and inviting in its elegant simplicity. Questioning and investigation upon this veil of assumptions is like corrosive acid poured on a thin shield. The only conclusion left is thus...all we are certain of is that we are certain of nothing.

The confusion from such bare exposure to the uncertainty of everything is ineffable and mysterious, as if we are on the cusp of what understanding nature permitted us to have. This is some version of intellectual torture. And in relevance to this thread, I think we should ask ourselves is it practically worth it.....I'd say no.

"Ignorance is bliss" really shouldn't be so pejorative in its connotation.

So...you're saying we SHOULDN'T study philosophy?

I don't get your point.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:30:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 9/23/2012 7:27:17 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/23/2012 7:19:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
The reality is that there are limits to what we can understand... and the fact that we have a relentless curiosity is a cruel joked played upon humanity. When we are born and as we grow up, we operate under such a comfortable set of perceptions that grounds reality in meaning, a subjective cocoon that is warm and inviting in its elegant simplicity. Questioning and investigation upon this veil of assumptions is like corrosive acid poured on a thin shield. The only conclusion left is thus...all we are certain of is that we are certain of nothing.

The confusion from such bare exposure to the uncertainty of everything is ineffable and mysterious, as if we are on the cusp of what understanding nature permitted us to have. This is some version of intellectual torture. And in relevance to this thread, I think we should ask ourselves is it practically worth it.....I'd say no.

"Ignorance is bliss" really shouldn't be so pejorative in its connotation.

So...you're saying we SHOULDN'T study philosophy?

I don't get your point.

yes, because any honest kind of skepticism leads to the same conclusion that there are limits to what we can understand, and that is inherently unsettling. Kind of like searching for Gold in a desert and coming home after years with the conclusion that there was no gold afterall. Philosophy solves nothing
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:48:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's intellectually healthy. (Though not psychologically, for me at least)

It builds open mindedness, tolerance and respect. (I have to say the most tolerant intellectuals are usually philosophers from my experience.)

It's based upon pure reason and you don't have to use all these sources and statistics to back up your arguments. Pure reasoning is my absolute favorite way to debate. Probably why I rarely debate politics.

It's the most interesting thing I've ever studied, though I'm still quite new to it.

It's insightful and enlightening.

It satisfies curiosity.

It answers questions other academic fields cannot.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:50:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I forgot to answer the last question. It can lead to extreme skepticism, curiosity and belief shifts such to the extent of depression. (My case)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2012 7:51:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The problem with enhancing your philosophical knowledge is that you get a much broader perspective on pretty much any issue compared to the average fella, which makes it hard to carry out proper discussions. Hard facts are almost always more useful in this case.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 12:34:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Studying philosophy gives you a better understanding of the world, why things happen in the world, etc. If you are well versed in philosophy, you are less likely to live life in a state of confusion or lack of understanding.

I'm not saying that simply because you can identify Kant's categorical imperitive, Hume's bundle theory, or the basis of utilitarianism. I think rather that the one who engages in philosophical thought, studies the ideas of philosophers from the past, this person will have an easier time grasping reality and satisfactorily analyzing and assessing situations.

It is odd that I would think that though considering I philosophical beliefs stem from primarily Zen Buddhist philosophy which is considered to actually be an "anti-philosophy."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2012 12:40:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://fare.tunes.org...

Where are you? What can you get there? Which of those things is worth getting?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.