Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Favorite branches of philosophy?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 10:21:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

fixed. don't know why I hit "z"
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2012 10:31:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

Generally speaking, metaphysics and epistemology. Specifically speaking, philosophy of religion and mind. Philosophy of science and metaethics are super interesting, too.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 2:31:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

My favorite philosophy? Oral Sex.
Tsar of DDO
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 12:28:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Epistemology
Philosophy of Mind
Metaphysics

Though every branch is interesting (cept aesthetics), these are just the most interesting.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 12:52:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

What libertarian has ever cited Hobbes?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 6:22:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

Hobbes is cited by libertarians? You do know he advocated a monarchy right? xD
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 6:28:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/2/2012 12:52:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

What libertarian has ever cited Hobbes?

I'm not a philosophy guy, but I know enough to know that Hobbes is generally not looked upon favorably by libertarians.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 7:27:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Philosophy of mind...mostly for the issues themselves (such as the hard problem) not really the proposed explanations, which I think are largely made-up nonsense.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 8:07:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/2/2012 7:27:21 PM, 000ike wrote:
Philosophy of mind...mostly for the issues themselves (such as the hard problem) not really the proposed explanations, which I think are largely made-up nonsense.

Look up John Searle. His explanation I think is generally pretty coherent.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 11:36:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, I tend to think of philosophy as an approach to/mode of thought, especially when considering that most of the "branches" tends to co-penetrate each other. My active interests are:

--Political Philosophy
------Philosophy of Law
------Political Theory (Anarchist Theory)
--Ethical Philosophy
------Meta-ethics
--Metaphysics
------Identity
------Temporal Parts
------Primitive Properties
------Mereology
--Epistemology
------Theories of Justification
------Regression/Incompleteness
--Philosophy of Language
--Philosophy of Mathematics
------Ontology of Abstract Objects
--Formal Logic
------Modal Logic
------Predicate Logic
--Aesthetics
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2012 10:43:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My favorites would be:
-Existentialism
-Political philosophy
-Ethics
--(subcategory) Bioethics
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2012 7:23:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Fool: I don't see philosophy itself as branches but rather a completely overlapping integrated extensions in it and of itself. Inverting and overlapping backwards turning in constant flux.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:23:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

Ontology and Epistemology, which in my opinion, are two sides of one and the same coin, so to speak.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 8:25:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

My favorites are Ontology and Epistemology, which in my opinion, are two sides of one and the same coin, so to speak.

Then I suppose it's mind and religion, all related to a fascination with the nature of consciousness.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2012 10:36:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I like the study of the nutty. For example, there are some that hail from regions just north of the good'ole US of A that are just plum crazy!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2012 1:33:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/2/2012 6:22:29 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

Hobbes is cited by libertarians? You do know he advocated a monarchy right? xD

That's an understatement. He supported totalitarian unrestricted government.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 2:21:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/10/2012 1:33:56 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 10/2/2012 6:22:29 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 10/1/2012 10:20:47 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I don't know, not a philosophy guy. However, to begin I am going to look into natural law (which, interestingly enough, is supported by many famous philosophizers, namely John Locke and Hobbes who is cited by many libertarians.)

Hobbes is cited by libertarians? You do know he advocated a monarchy right? xD

That's an understatement. He supported totalitarian unrestricted government.

He did not quite do so, and he is proto-liberal-- he anticipates liberal (in the classical sense) arguments without taking them nearly far enough.

See for example
"A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void. For (as I have shown before) no man can transfer or lay down his right to save himself from death, wounds, and imprisonment, the avoiding whereof is the only end of laying down any right; and therefore the promise of not resisting force, in no covenant transferreth any right, nor is obliging. For though a man may covenant thus, unless I do so, or so, kill me; he cannot covenant thus, unless I do so, or so, I will not resist you when you come to kill me."

"
Covenants entered into by fear, in the condition of mere nature, are obligatory. For example, if I covenant to pay a ransom, or service for my life, to an enemy, I am bound by it. For it is a contract, wherein one receiveth the benefit of life; the other is to receive money, or service for it, and consequently, where no other law (as in the condition of mere nature) forbiddeth the performance, the covenant is valid. Therefore prisoners of war, if trusted with the payment of their ransom, are obliged to pay it: and if a weaker prince make a disadvantageous peace with a stronger, for fear, he is bound to keep it; unless (as hath been said before) there ariseth some new and just cause of fear to renew the war."
Now, these are not libertarian or even liberal arguments. He sees very few limits for legitimate government. But the purpose of government for him is fundamentally a libertarian project, defense. He just has very low standards and a few massive errors like accepting contracts at gunpoint as valid.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2012 4:40:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/2/2012 11:36:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Well, I tend to think of philosophy as an approach to/mode of thought, especially when considering that most of the "branches" tends to co-penetrate each other. My active interests are:

--Political Philosophy
------Philosophy of Law
------Political Theory (Anarchist Theory)
--Ethical Philosophy
------Meta-ethics
--Metaphysics
------Identity
------Temporal Parts
------Primitive Properties
------Mereology
--Epistemology
------Theories of Justification
------Regression/Incompleteness
--Philosophy of Language
--Philosophy of Mathematics
------Ontology of Abstract Objects
--Formal Logic
------Modal Logic
------Predicate Logic
--Aesthetics

<(XD)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
jedipengiun
Posts: 169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 6:39:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Favourite branches of philosophy:
- Philosophy of religion
- Ethics
- Logic and critical thinking (at the minute)
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 3:58:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

Argument for the sake of argument for things that can't work in reality is my least favorite.

What works in reality and produces results is my favorite.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 4:56:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/13/2012 3:58:00 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 10/1/2012 9:54:28 PM, phantom wrote:
Just curious and I'm bored.

What are your favorite branches of philosophy and which ones do you like least?

Of the main ones, politics is probably my least interest but it's still enjoyable and much preferable to none-philosophical politics.

Morality used to be my favorite. Now it's dissipating but I still like it a lot. Epistemology and metaphysics are both up there. Philosophy of religion too. Arguments for God have always interested me from a young age. Haven't looked much into philosophy of mind but I should. Logic is cool. I think I like all the branches lol.

Argument for the sake of argument for things that can't work in reality is my least favorite.

What works in reality and produces results is my favorite.

This is the viewpoint most irritating to me. To think that we can judge what "works" or what is good in "reality" without recourse to some sort of meta standard is moronic. Furthermore, what do you mean by "can't work in reality"? According to what standards? Oh right, you can't even define standards without going back to otherworldly philosophical reasoning.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.