Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 7:55:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Depends what you mean by purpose. But no, I don't believe life has meaning or purpose.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 8:37:15 PM
At 10/19/2012 6:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do we create our own meaning and purpose in life?

Taken straight from my profile: My philosophy is something of a hodgepodge of absurdism, existential nihilism, Epicureanism, an acceptance of the limitations of human reason, and the imperfections of man when viewed as an only partly rational animal, differing from "lesser" animals only in tool-making and linguistic capabilities.

So it goes without saying that I don't believe there is any objective or absolute meaning in life, indeed the only meaning and purpose is that which you create and experience yourself... Assuming you're talking about a deeper sense of meaning and purpose beyond merely surviving and reproducing... I don't see how, if no God exists or we have no way of proving that he does, there could be meaning and purpose in life beyond what we create on our own....
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 9:48:43 PM
If we're speaking descriptively then perhaps you could say our teleology is to survive and reproduce. But usually when people talk about meaning in the philosophical sense they're speaking normatively. In that sense nah bro, nothing but what we decide for ourselves.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 10:31:22 PM
At 10/19/2012 6:32:52 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Do we create our own meaning and purpose in life?

The only time that we see any purpose in what we are doing is when we assign that purpose to it ourselves. Have you ever been in a maths class at school and someone asks the teacher, "When are we even going to use this in real life?"
To them, the work has no purpose, but to a future mathematician or physicist the work may be essential. We are the ones who decide what we want to do and hence what purpose (other than to reproduce) our lives will serve.
These are not the droids you're looking for.