Jump to topic:

Zizek

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2012 3:24:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Zizek is going to be on campus tomorrow, and I want to attend his lecture. Could someone quickly explain some of his central ideas or provide links that explain them?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2012 3:36:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/22/2012 3:24:02 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Zizek is going to be on campus tomorrow, and I want to attend his lecture. Could someone quickly explain some of his central ideas or provide links that explain them?

I don't think he has any central ideas, he spends more time arguing and criticizing other ideas, and very little time offering alternatives. It's a very political philosophy, highly influenced by communism, but you get the impression he's a rebel without a cause, Dylan's song "Everything is Broken" comes to mind. It's interesting rhetoric, he's all about radical change, he's articulate, he's engaging and theatrical, he preps you for a new vision but in the end he never tells you what it is.

Think Barack Obama as a philosopher, it's time for a change, it's time for a change, it's time for a change, but he doesn't seem to have any real ideas about what those changes might actually be or how do bring them about. He's very dissatisfied with the way things are, but he doesn't appear to know just what it is that would be more satisfying, leaves you with the impression he would shoot down any and all proposals for change and every alternative would be just as unsatisfying.

I'm reminded of a scene from a movie where the wife goes off on the restaurant owner, so the diner asks the restaurant owner why his wife is pissed off, and the guy says "Oh, she's not pissed off, she's just been in a bad mood for the last forty years".
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater