Is God A Religious Atheist?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 12:37:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I just curious if God has a religion.

Does God have to believe in himself to exist?

I don't know exactly how to express what I'm trying to say. Don't take it to seriously though, it's just one of my random thoughts.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 1:15:54 PM
It's a little hard to believe you don't exist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 10:49:32 AM
At 10/28/2012 12:37:44 PM, pozessed wrote:

I don't know exactly how to express what I'm trying to say. Don't take it to seriously though, it's just one of my random thoughts.

Well.......
If you define existence as the quality of being in reality, then the real question is 'does god have the ability to discern the truth or non truth of that which he percieves'.

If you define existence as the quality of being, whether in a computer, a mind, or a vat, then cogito ergo sum will suffice.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 1:58:03 PM

That's a question which I really don't have an answer for, and I don't think anyone can with certainty say if God has a religion or not. This is really just something which we humans, with our limited knowledge, cannot know. I, of course, don't believe that God has a religion, since it just seems absurd to me that God would have a religion - although I cannot say with certainty that I know that God doesn't have a religion.

Of course not; nobody have to believe in themselves in order exist. You exist whether you believe in yourself or not. And as somebody else said here, it's a little hard to believe you don't exist. In fact, I would say impossible.

I do get some random thoughts like these sometimes too. By using rationality however, I quickly dismiss them as being untrue and unreasonable. I think everyone, once in a while, get some random thoughts in regards to one or another thing.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 2:01:57 PM
At 10/29/2012 1:58:03 PM, Clash wrote:

Of course not; nobody have to believe in themselves in order exist. You exist whether you believe in yourself or not. And as somebody else said here, it's a little hard to believe you don't exist. In fact, I would say impossible.

P.1 In order to know something you have to believe it.
P.2 God is omniscient.
P.3 Since God knows everything, he has belief towards everything.
P.4 Whatever God believes in is true.
P.5 If God doesn't believe he exists he believes he does not exist.
Conclusion: If God believe he does not exist, he can't exist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 2:15:09 PM
At 10/29/2012 2:01:57 PM, phantom wrote:

P.2 God is omniscient.

In order to believe something, you have to first exist. Thus, if God believe He does not exist, then He does in fact exist. You cannot believe something and not exist at the same time. It's self-contradictory.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 2:19:54 PM
At 10/29/2012 2:15:09 PM, Clash wrote:

P.2 God is omniscient.

In order to believe something, you have to first exist. Thus, if God believe He does not exist, then He does in fact exist. You cannot believe something and not exist at the same time. It's self-contradictory.

We're both right. God by definition has to believe what is true so if he believes x, x is true. If he believes he does not exist, than it is true. However you're also correct that only things that exist can have belief. Ergo, it's a stupid question in the first place.
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 2:28:27 PM
At 10/29/2012 2:19:54 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/29/2012 2:15:09 PM, Clash wrote:

P.2 God is omniscient.

We're both right. God by definition has to believe what is true so if he believes x, x is true. If he believes he does not exist, than it is true. However you're also correct that only things that exist can have belief. Ergo, it's a stupid question in the first place.

I thought it was an argument. Oh well, it's pretty stupid anyways. I'm glad to hear that we both agree to that.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/29/2012 2:32:02 PM
God cannot have a religion. The term religion is used as a distinguishing belief, not an absolute one. Islam would not be a religion if all people had objective beliefs, for example. God has no wrong beliefs, nor can His mind doubt one thing for another. He has an absolute knowledge.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 12:59:24 AM
At 10/28/2012 1:15:54 PM, phantom wrote:

God doesn't ask that we believe he exists, he asks that we believe in him.

Someone who doesn't believe in themselves can be said to have low self-esteem.

This would take great steps to explaining why God is such an insecure little sh*thead.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 1:17:08 AM
At 10/28/2012 1:15:54 PM, phantom wrote:

Indeed, it's difficult. But I manage it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 1:26:25 AM
At 10/29/2012 2:32:02 PM, Mirza wrote:
God cannot have a religion. The term religion is used as a distinguishing belief, not an absolute one. Islam would not be a religion if all people had objective beliefs, for example. God has no wrong beliefs, nor can His mind doubt one thing for another. He has an absolute knowledge.

This is really well-put.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 2:04:03 PM
At 10/29/2012 2:32:02 PM, Mirza wrote:

Without doubt, how can one truly be alive?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
yoda878
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 2:09:14 PM

You would have to say what god you are taking about before we could answer this.
We need to know what perception to look at.

Really? Say this to yourself again lol

Like I said you need to determine what God you are speaking of.
Me