Jump to topic:

Am I being hypocritical?

quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 7:41:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm just going to assume that this goes in the philosophy section so here goes.

Lately I've gone full circle to being an Anarcho-Capitalist, meaning I believe taxation is theft and that all of the necessary functions of the government would best be run by other private companies and entities more efficiently, effectively and without coercion.

The reason I'm asking if I'm a hypocrite is because I still want to become an Air Traffic Controller since it sounds like an interesting job and I've grown up to be fascinated with aviation and airports.

However the only employment opportunities for air traffic controllers are in the public sector.

I wish that airports were privatized, and that the FAA was abolished allowing ATC to be a private industry, but that's not the case.

Am I hypocrite for still going through with being a government employee? On one hand, it's not as though if I give up this job, it helps the problem since there are plenty of people I had to compete against for it. On the other, I'm still being paid with stolen property.

Thoughts and answers would be very well appreciated.

Also I don't want this to turn into a debate about Anarcho-Capitalism.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2012 9:20:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/28/2012 7:41:38 PM, quarterexchange wrote:
I'm just going to assume that this goes in the philosophy section so here goes.

Good man.

Lately I've gone full circle to being an Anarcho-Capitalist, meaning I believe taxation is theft and that all of the necessary functions of the government would best be run by other private companies and entities more efficiently, effectively and without coercion.

An assumption I consider naive but OK.

The reason I'm asking if I'm a hypocrite is because I still want to become an Air Traffic Controller since it sounds like an interesting job and I've grown up to be fascinated with aviation and airports.

However the only employment opportunities for air traffic controllers are in the public sector.

I wish that airports were privatized, and that the FAA was abolished allowing ATC to be a private industry, but that's not the case.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride... I wish a lot of things, but I have to realize that if I'm to function in society then I must accept the current culture and rules. I would highly suggest that you keep your political/philosophical views hidden when networking with your future professional associations. If you are serious about the job, you must play the entire part, including your total acceptance of the system as is. You will have to accept that being an air-traffic controller necessarily means wanting the current system (whatever that may be) in place. The best candidates for the position will accept enthusiastically the paradigm in its entirety and it's hard to swallow but if change is what you want, then enter politics instead. I wish that I could be professional while also exercising my disdain for the system but wishing just makes me look like a complainer looking for excuses.

Am I hypocrite for still going through with being a government employee? On one hand, it's not as though if I give up this job, it helps the problem since there are plenty of people I had to compete against for it. On the other, I'm still being paid with stolen property.

Thoughts and answers would be very well appreciated.

Also I don't want this to turn into a debate about Anarcho-Capitalism.

No you are not a hypocrite. I disagree, personally, with the notion that those who oppose government must remove themselves from society because they might support what they don't believe in. I can play the hand I'm dealt while being a conscientious objector to the system, operating within the bounds of professionalism to earn a living. For instance, when I'm serving customers that are engaged in political debate, I never voice my opinion because I believe that is unprofessional.

I could easily see the opposite argument gaining traction though so I look forward to someone disagreeing with me here.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.