Total Posts:90|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is it wrong to be a racist?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 6:18:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's irrational.

What does wrong mean?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 7:03:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

That's a terrible definition.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 7:17:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 7:03:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

That's a terrible definition.

But you have to admit people misuse the term "racist" way too much!
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 7:18:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 7:17:43 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:03:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

That's a terrible definition.

But you have to admit people misuse the term "racist" way too much!

Yes. You're a good example of it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 7:19:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 6:18:43 PM, phantom wrote:
It's irrational.

What does wrong mean?

well put
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 7:48:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 7:18:51 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:17:43 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:03:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

That's a terrible definition.

But you have to admit people misuse the term "racist" way too much!

Yes. You're a good example of it.

How so? ........Fatcheeks Joe
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 8:03:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

emo, that's not what racism is. You don't need to believe that you are superior to another race, you just need to have a general discriminatory attitude.

To address the OP, I don't think it's wrong in all cases. For instance, if I've lived on an island for all my life with a particular race X, and then a ship full of people of some other race Y crashes on the Island and try to kill me, I'll have a general attitude to avoid Y people.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2012 8:04:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 7:48:35 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:18:51 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:17:43 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 7:03:17 PM, phantom wrote:
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

That's a terrible definition.

But you have to admit people misuse the term "racist" way too much!

Yes. You're a good example of it.

How so? ........Fatcheeks Joe

As said, you had a terrible definition. Someone might think whites are superior to blacks based upon their subjective taste for the color white. That could be a white or black person. That's not racist. Or many people believe genetically one race is superior. Actually I think it's obvious that one race is superior to the others genetically. I don't know which one but it seems inevitable. We obviously all have different genetics. It's only probable that some have better than others. Does that make me racist?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
keepinitreal
Posts: 58
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:46:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Excuse me if I used the incorrect term.

Is it wrong to hate another ethnic group?

An individual does not like black people. Should this individual be viewed differently because s/he does not like black people? Are they wrong in the sense of not the right thing for a human to do? for example, it is wrong to kill another innocent human being. Another example is it is wrong to cheat on your spouse, assuming other things equal.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 8:55:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 7:19:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/31/2012 6:18:43 PM, phantom wrote:
It's irrational.

What does wrong mean?

well put

i remember you arguing for an objective morality outside of the existence of god...
signature
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:10:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 6:44:58 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Gosh, so many people misuse the term "racist"

It's not the hatred of one particular race..........

It's the belief that one race is superior to another race.

Can you provide an example where the former (hatred) isn't predicated on the latter (superiority)?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:12:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

Go into Harlem and yell out ethnic slurs. You'll get your answer.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:26:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.

lol Right so it's fact that people with Downs Syndrome, on average, have lower IQs and therefore my prejudice against them and treating them like second-class citizens is justified.
yang.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:27:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:26:13 AM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.

lol Right so it's fact that people with Downs Syndrome, on average, have lower IQs and therefore my prejudice against them and treating them like second-class citizens is justified.

**For those who didn't click his link, he conveniently left out the second part of the defintion,

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.
yang.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:34:34 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 6:18:43 PM, phantom wrote:
It's irrational.

What does wrong mean?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:38:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

... esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Why did you exclude that part?


http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 7:23:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/31/2012 4:57:00 PM, keepinitreal wrote:
Is it wrong to not like a certain ethnic group? Why?

No, being a racist is good, racism just has a bad publicist.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:05:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:38:10 AM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

... esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Why did you exclude that part?

Correct. But it's not based on irrationality, instead it's based on some form of superiority or inferiority of a group ex. Intelligence.


http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:06:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:27:25 AM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:26:13 AM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.

lol Right so it's fact that people with Downs Syndrome, on average, have lower IQs and therefore my prejudice against them and treating them like second-class citizens is justified.

**For those who didn't click his link, he conveniently left out the second part of the defintion,

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Your point being...? I'm merely proving a point that it's not irrational and is grounded in some decision about which races are inherently superior or inferior.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:07:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:26:13 AM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:20:54 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
Racism:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race

http://www.google.ca...

It's not wrong if it's fact.

lol Right so it's fact that people with Downs Syndrome, on average, have lower IQs and therefore my prejudice against them and treating them like second-class citizens is justified.

'Course it is. Any way you measure it from society's point of view, the Down Syndrome individual is inferior.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:05:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:07:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Any way you measure it from society's point of view, the Down Syndrome individual is inferior.

Sigged for sheer moronity.
yang.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:10:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:05:59 PM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:07:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Any way you measure it from society's point of view, the Down Syndrome individual is inferior.

Sigged for sheer moronity.

Share the wealth.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:14:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:10:53 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/7/2012 11:05:59 PM, tulle wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:07:25 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Any way you measure it from society's point of view, the Down Syndrome individual is inferior.

Sigged for sheer moronity.

Share the wealth.

Done.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 6:22:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:00:43 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I believe the human race is better than any other.

Then you are bigoted against dogs.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:20:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Notice that I said from society's POV, which means from the aggregate of all the individuals. Ergo, we aren't talking about specific individual rights but as a sheer contribution to society as a whole. Someone care to enlighten me about how the Down Syndrome individual could not be inferior in this case?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."