Jump to topic:

Why Do We Need Books Of Scripture?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 1:21:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
With or without these scriptural books guidance, we would have came to ask ourselves the same things the scriptures relate to.

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

You don't need the books to answer your questions, now we have the internet.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 1:41:23 PM
At 11/3/2012 1:21:06 PM, pozessed wrote:
With or without these scriptural books guidance, we would have came to ask ourselves the same things the scriptures relate to.

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Uh... The Bible answers those questions a lot better than Yahoo! Answers would.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 2:29:23 PM
At 11/3/2012 1:41:23 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

You think it answers questions better than social discussions with literall references?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 2:33:33 PM
At 11/3/2012 2:29:23 PM, pozessed wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

You think it answers questions better than social discussions with literall references?

Yes, I think the divinely-inspired Word of God answers metaphysical questions much better than random people sitting behind a computer.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 4:06:55 PM
At 11/3/2012 2:33:33 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Yes, I think the divinely-inspired Word of God answers metaphysical questions much better than random people sitting behind a computer.
I think a divinely inspired mind could write a more comprehensible understanding, and if what they wrote was up for debate a more mutual perception of the understanding would probably occur within the discussion.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 4:17:10 PM
At 11/3/2012 4:06:55 PM, pozessed wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

I think a divinely inspired mind could write a more comprehensible understanding, and if what they wrote was up for debate a more mutual perception of the understanding would probably occur within the discussion.

That's not how Scripture was intended. It was never meant as an argument, it was meant as an explanation.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 4:32:16 PM
At 11/3/2012 4:17:10 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

That's not how Scripture was intended. It was never meant as an argument, it was meant as an explanation.
When does something that leaves room for an opinion not get argued?
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 5:06:54 PM
At 11/3/2012 4:32:16 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 11/3/2012 4:17:10 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

When does something that leaves room for an opinion not get argued?

I'm just explaining how it should be read -- not as an argument, but an explanation. The veracity of the explanation is another issue.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 5:28:48 PM
At 11/3/2012 5:06:54 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
I'm just explaining how it should be read -- not as an argument, but an explanation. The veracity of the explanation is another issue.

Did y really mean to use veracity?

Veracity
Synonyms
1. honesty, integrity, credibility.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 5:38:48 PM
At 11/3/2012 5:28:48 PM, pozessed wrote:
At 11/3/2012 5:06:54 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Did y really mean to use veracity?

Veracity
Synonyms
1. honesty, integrity, credibility.

Of course I did.

veracity
noun

Conformity to facts; accuracy
- officials expressed doubts concerning the veracity of the story
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2012 6:01:19 PM

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

We don't need it, if we don't think it's necessary. But at least, if we have purpose & curiosity, where the scriptures maybe considered as solution that has relevancy to our purpose & our curiosity, then we may look into the scriptures, reasonably.
I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:08:50 AM

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Yes, the internet holds the answer to all questions, internet is truth, truth is internet, we must all worship the internet.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:14:09 AM
At 11/4/2012 1:08:50 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Yes, the internet holds the answer to all questions, internet is truth, truth is internet, we must all worship the internet.

Reductionist ad absurdity. :D
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 1:19:37 AM
At 11/4/2012 1:08:50 AM, Sidewalker wrote:

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Hehehe
I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2012 10:54:29 AM

How did we get here?
Is there a God?
Whats our purpose?

Lolwut?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
ArAr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 10:09:38 AM
I think the spiritual books have a few purposes.

Many people need an outside authority to regulate thier behaviour because they are too scared or incapable of of the introspection and experiementation necessary to discover their own 'system' of living and applying.

To pass down and preserve life lessons and theories on life to the next generation.

To create and disseminate a common belief system to use as a basis to unify the actions of a group (management, leadership etc...).

For some it i their way of contributing to the betterment of mankind, they feel as if they are writing a gift for posterity.