Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Masturbation

badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:35:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.epicmafia.com...

That's me; I wrote that. Same applies here. What do you want to do with your life? This is masturbation, mere delusion for most of you, useless. It's lame. Think about it. I mean how much more... philosophized... are you gonna get? Why would you want to get any more so? What difference does your political opinion make really? None. Hobbies? Pfft... why the fvck are you here? does this really interest you? why does it? because you'll feel smart in being "knowledgeable" in philosophy and politics? where does that get you? what is the point?

I'm so fvcking bored. My apologies if I've offended, it's just the current state of humanity can strike me as a rather disgustingly pathetic thing sometimes.

Thoughts?
signature
yoda878
Posts: 902
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:44:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:35:15 AM, badger wrote:
http://www.epicmafia.com...

That's me; I wrote that. Same applies here. What do you want to do with your life?

Hummm.... well my life technically, if nothing bad happens, is 1/3 of the way over.
I should probably have this figured out.
I don't, I just want it to be awesome, and I don't want to hurt anyone wile I'm here that's the main thing.

This is masturbation, mere delusion for most of you, useless. It's lame. Think about it. I mean how much more... philosophized... are you gonna get?

Thats a really gross way of looking at it, I hope all of you guys sanitize the computer after you are on DDO.

Why would you want to get any more so? What difference does your political opinion make really? None.
Your right no one cares and I'm a bitter bitch today! So I'm going atound with much sarcasm. LOL :)

Hobbies? Pfft...
I learned how to make quilted Christmas balls, does that count?

why the fvck are you here?
To answer your questions to make the work day go by faster. Overactive facebookers get on my nerves so I come here to not be like them.. lol
does this really interest you?
Not really, I mostly stay in politics and the religion section.
why does it? because you'll feel smart in being "knowledgeable" in philosophy and politics?
I know I'm not in philosophy, and no one really understands the government, how could you with all the laws? :)
where does that get you?

I don't know the right answer so I'm going with Mexico?

what is the point?

Have fun pass the time and be happy with who you are>


I'm so fvcking bored. My apologies if I've offended, it's just the current state of humanity can strike me as a rather disgustingly pathetic thing sometimes.


I'm bored too if you cant tell lol
Thoughts?
Me
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:35:15 AM, badger wrote:
http://www.epicmafia.com...

That's me; I wrote that. Same applies here. What do you want to do with your life? This is masturbation, mere delusion for most of you, useless. It's lame. Think about it. I mean how much more... philosophized... are you gonna get? Why would you want to get any more so? What difference does your political opinion make really? None. Hobbies? Pfft... why the fvck are you here? does this really interest you? why does it? because you'll feel smart in being "knowledgeable" in philosophy and politics? where does that get you? what is the point?

I'm so fvcking bored. My apologies if I've offended, it's just the current state of humanity can strike me as a rather disgustingly pathetic thing sometimes.

Thoughts?

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive, and that the destruction is pervasive in every area of of human society. If we could not think and speak and empathize, like most other animals cannot, I wouldn't say so. But we can. Because we can, it's clear that if you really think about concepts like society, existence, and consciousness, and how absurdly incomprehensible they can be to our limited animal minds, that the things most people spend their time fretting over and working toward are so petty and trivial. I mean, if our entire species went extinct tomorrow, the world and all the other surviving species would go on living and surviving, and indeed the conditions of planet earth would be far better for most other life forms without our supremely destructive species inhabiting it.

So even the most lofty aspirations of mankind - concepts like equality, freedom, revolution, love, death, etc. - are totally irrelevant to the grand scheme of things, how much less relevant are things that are petty in comparison to those already petty things? Things like: do I look attractive, do people like me or think I'm weird, am I succeeding making money, etc. These things are so ridiculously trivial and can be recognized as such by anyone who has deep values, principles, and proposals about life, society, and humanity that are obviously more important and interesting than your own selfish, animalistic, comparatively trivial "success". (Random side note:One should look at society in utter perplexity and frustration; the thinking man almost always concludes that the society in which he lives is going in the totally wrong direction.)

That being said, since we are thinking, speaking, empathizing, philosophizing beings, I really think most of humanity's problems would be solved if we only lived for our own personal gains (money, house, family, entertainment, career, etc) as much as we have to in order to feel content and happy - the rest should be devoted to helping humanity's societal/political/economic problems. When one lives in this way, life is FAR more joyous and meaningful and even spiritual and powerful than living just concerning yourself with your own animalistic needs. We are all just these strange beings made of matter/atoms made from the exploded guts of stars, and somehow we form to be able to think, speak, live, love, have interests, get embarrassed, etc. This is baffling and incomprehensible to any animal, even semi-rational ones like human beings, unless you ignore it and push it out of your mind as most people do in order to live "normal" lives...

Therefore, we should empathize with every living, feeling creature we meet; we should rush to help them as if our own lives were at stake. This is the only way to truly find meaning - to live, ultimately, for others as much as you can. To put great causes and your own immediate existence as much as you can (but again, we are still animals, need to survive, and need to survive happily - this necessarily entails at least some amount of selfishness because of our limited animal nature). We should treat strangers like they were our best friends. Every person you see has goals, interests, passions, hobbies, fears, insecurities. If they need something and I can assist them semi-easily, I will, and I will feel wonderful and find meaning in doing so - transcending my animal nature which demands that I live selfishly, andfinding empathy, and caring for each human as if they were part of my family... Because in a sense they are part of my family - the human family. Our DNA and biological makeup is so similar. And plus we live in society together, with many of the same worries and interests - we're in this struggle together! Even MANY non-humans are living beings who can feel pain and pleasure, have interests, have friendship, etc and should be treated as befits such creatures. but most importantly, society should be like an extended family.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 10:51:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:35:15 AM, badger wrote:
http://www.epicmafia.com...

That's me; I wrote that. Same applies here. What do you want to do with your life? This is masturbation, mere delusion for most of you, useless. It's lame. Think about it. I mean how much more... philosophized... are you gonna get? Why would you want to get any more so? What difference does your political opinion make really? None. Hobbies? Pfft... why the fvck are you here? does this really interest you? why does it? because you'll feel smart in being "knowledgeable" in philosophy and politics? where does that get you? what is the point?

I'm so fvcking bored. My apologies if I've offended, it's just the current state of humanity can strike me as a rather disgustingly pathetic thing sometimes.

Thoughts?

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive, and that the destruction is pervasive in every area of of human society. If we could not think and speak and empathize, like most other animals cannot, I wouldn't say so. But we can. Because we can, it's clear that if you really think about concepts like society, existence, and consciousness, and how absurdly incomprehensible they can be to our limited animal minds, that the things most people spend their time fretting over and working toward are so petty and trivial. I mean, if our entire species went extinct tomorrow, the world and all the other surviving species would go on living and surviving, and indeed the conditions of planet earth would be far better for most other life forms without our supremely destructive species inhabiting it.

So even the most lofty aspirations of mankind - concepts like equality, freedom, revolution, love, death, etc. - are totally irrelevant to the grand scheme of things, how much less relevant are things that are petty in comparison to those already petty things? Things like: do I look attractive, do people like me or think I'm weird, am I succeeding making money, etc. These things are so ridiculously trivial and can be recognized as such by anyone who has deep values, principles, and proposals about life, society, and humanity that are obviously more important and interesting than your own selfish, animalistic, comparatively trivial "success". (Random side note:One should look at society in utter perplexity and frustration; the thinking man almost always concludes that the society in which he lives is going in the totally wrong direction.)

That being said, since we are thinking, speaking, empathizing, philosophizing beings, I really think most of humanity's problems would be solved if we only lived for our own personal gains (money, house, family, entertainment, career, etc) as much as we have to in order to feel content and happy - the rest should be devoted to helping humanity's societal/political/economic problems. When one lives in this way, life is FAR more joyous and meaningful and even spiritual and powerful than living just concerning yourself with your own animalistic needs. We are all just these strange beings made of matter/atoms made from the exploded guts of stars, and somehow we form to be able to think, speak, live, love, have interests, get embarrassed, etc. This is baffling and incomprehensible to any animal, even semi-rational ones like human beings, unless you ignore it and push it out of your mind as most people do in order to live "normal" lives...

Therefore, we should empathize with every living, feeling creature we meet; we should rush to help them as if our own lives were at stake. This is the only way to truly find meaning - to live, ultimately, for others as much as you can. To put great causes and your own immediate existence as much as you can (but again, we are still animals, need to survive, and need to survive happily - this necessarily entails at least some amount of selfishness because of our limited animal nature). We should treat strangers like they were our best friends. Every person you see has goals, interests, passions, hobbies, fears, insecurities. If they need something and I can assist them semi-easily, I will, and I will feel wonderful and find meaning in doing so - transcending my animal nature which demands that I live selfishly, andfinding empathy, and caring for each human as if they were part of my family... Because in a sense they are part of my family - the human family. Our DNA and biological makeup is so similar. And plus we live in society together, with many of the same worries and interests - we're in this struggle together! Even MANY non-humans are living beings who can feel pain and pleasure, have interests, have friendship, etc and should be treated as befits such creatures. but most importantly, society should be like an extended family.

And by the way this should all be done voluntarily, without the state coercing people into doing it, which would corrupt the whole point of it and defeat the purpose. But I doubt humanity is capable of rising to this post-animalistic level. Only some, the thinkers, the philosophers, the true empathizers, those who don't just flush all the important/valuable thoughts about life and death out of their minds so as to live according to prescribed traditional path, have a chance at achieving this most noble goal. It is what we need to succeed and thrive above all as a species. However humanity will almost certainly not rise to the challenge, and by the time most people realize this is the only way to save us from sheer destruction (I'm not exaggerating), we'll be too far down our current path (perhaps we already are) to do anything about it. I'm very pessimistic about my outlook for humanity's future... Well, maybe just realistic.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 11:07:45 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:35:15 AM, badger wrote:
http://www.epicmafia.com...

That's me; I wrote that. Same applies here. What do you want to do with your life? This is masturbation, mere delusion for most of you, useless. It's lame. Think about it. I mean how much more... philosophized... are you gonna get? Why would you want to get any more so? What difference does your political opinion make really? None. Hobbies? Pfft... why the fvck are you here? does this really interest you? why does it? because you'll feel smart in being "knowledgeable" in philosophy and politics? where does that get you? what is the point?

I'm so fvcking bored. My apologies if I've offended, it's just the current state of humanity can strike me as a rather disgustingly pathetic thing sometimes.

Thoughts?

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive, and that the destruction is pervasive in every area of of human society. If we could not think and speak and empathize, like most other animals cannot, I wouldn't say so. But we can. Because we can, it's clear that if you really think about concepts like society, existence, and consciousness, and how absurdly incomprehensible they can be to our limited animal minds, that the things most people spend their time fretting over and working toward are so petty and trivial. I mean, if our entire species went extinct tomorrow, the world and all the other surviving species would go on living and surviving, and indeed the conditions of planet earth would be far better for most other life forms without our supremely destructive species inhabiting it.

So even the most lofty aspirations of mankind - concepts like equality, freedom, revolution, love, death, etc. - are totally irrelevant to the grand scheme of things, how much less relevant are things that are petty in comparison to those already petty things? Things like: do I look attractive, do people like me or think I'm weird, am I succeeding making money, etc. These things are so ridiculously trivial and can be recognized as such by anyone who has deep values, principles, and proposals about life, society, and humanity that are obviously more important and interesting than your own selfish, animalistic, comparatively trivial "success". (Random side note:One should look at society in utter perplexity and frustration; the thinking man almost always concludes that the society in which he lives is going in the totally wrong direction.)

That being said, since we are thinking, speaking, empathizing, philosophizing beings, I really think most of humanity's problems would be solved if we only lived for our own personal gains (money, house, family, entertainment, career, etc) as much as we have to in order to feel content and happy - the rest should be devoted to helping humanity's societal/political/economic problems. When one lives in this way, life is FAR more joyous and meaningful and even spiritual and powerful than living just concerning yourself with your own animalistic needs. We are all just these strange beings made of matter/atoms made from the exploded guts of stars, and somehow we form to be able to think, speak, live, love, have interests, get embarrassed, etc. This is baffling and incomprehensible to any animal, even semi-rational ones like human beings, unless you ignore it and push it out of your mind as most people do in order to live "normal" lives...

Therefore, we should empathize with every living, feeling creature we meet; we should rush to help them as if our own lives were at stake. This is the only way to truly find meaning - to live, ultimately, for others as much as you can. To put great causes and principles above your own immediate existence as much as you can (but again, we are still animals, need to survive, and need to survive happily - this necessarily entails at least some amount of selfishness because of our limited animal nature). We should treat strangers like they were our best friends. Every person you see has goals, interests, passions, hobbies, fears, insecurities. If they need something and I can assist them semi-easily, I will, and I will feel wonderful and find meaning in doing so - transcending my animal nature which demands that I live selfishly, and finding empathy, and caring for each human as if they were part of my family... Because in a sense they are part of my family - the human family. Our DNA and biological makeup is so similar. And plus we live in society together, with many of the same worries and interests - we're in this struggle together! Even MANY non-humans are living beings who can feel pain and pleasure, have interests, have friendship, etc and should be treated as befits such creatures. but most importantly, society should be like an extended family.

Sorry, typing mistakes, highlighted the things that had to be fixed.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 1:40:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 11:34:59 AM, badger wrote:
that was a nice read, dude. cheers.

To you as well my friend. Anything to cheer up a fellow living, conscious being in this crazy incomprehensible whirlwind of existence! Well, anything within reason, let's not carried away, haha.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 9:06:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM, jat93 wrote:

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive...

I have never found that selfishness was strictly necessary for survival. I have found to a great extent, however, that the definition of "strictly necessary for survival" can be taylored to whatever level of wealth you desire. Mix this in with the Ptolemaic economic theory that we have circulating the current political media these days and you have both the motive and means to carry out mass-selfishness.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 1:53:54 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/7/2012 9:06:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM, jat93 wrote:

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive...

I have never found that selfishness was strictly necessary for survival. I have found to a great extent, however, that the definition of "strictly necessary for survival" can be taylored to whatever level of wealth you desire. Mix this in with the Ptolemaic economic theory that we have circulating the current political media these days and you have both the motive and means to carry out mass-selfishness.

Of course a certain degree of selfishness is necessary for survival. Do you have money? A house? Clothes? A computer? Friends? Assuming you do, why do you have these things, if not out of own desire to a) survive and b) survive and be at least somewhat happy/content and not miserable. Being just 19 years old and not very experienced in the art of existing when compared to most people, I can't yet tell you what the appropriate level of ego/selfishness is, and I agree that people justify "as much selfishness as I need" at absurdly high levels of selfishness that of course they don't really need.

Surely we could agree that somewhere between living totally for yourself and your own ego and not being empathetic toward anyone else's needs, and the opposite extreme of being so selfless that you literally die or are miserable as a result of your self-denial, we must find something of a middle ground. Unless you really think we should not be selfish in the slightest -in which case feel free to stop eating, buying anything or using anything for yourself, living in a house, etc. If you meant what you said, this is what you would do - that's simply the logical consequence of denying selfishness. If man were an ideal creature, perhaps we could live and totally deny selfishness, but we are animals, and as a result we must cater to some extent - I have yet to figure out how much - to our animal instincts/necessities.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:38:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 11/8/2012 1:53:54 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 11/7/2012 9:06:13 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/7/2012 10:46:15 AM, jat93 wrote:

I think selfishness/ego, when it is not strictly necessary for survival, is horribly destructive...

I have never found that selfishness was strictly necessary for survival. I have found to a great extent, however, that the definition of "strictly necessary for survival" can be taylored to whatever level of wealth you desire. Mix this in with the Ptolemaic economic theory that we have circulating the current political media these days and you have both the motive and means to carry out mass-selfishness.

Of course a certain degree of selfishness is necessary for survival. Do you have money? A house? Clothes? A computer? Friends? Assuming you do, why do you have these things, if not out of own desire to a) survive and b) survive and be at least somewhat happy/content and not miserable. Being just 19 years old and not very experienced in the art of existing when compared to most people, I can't yet tell you what the appropriate level of ego/selfishness is, and I agree that people justify "as much selfishness as I need" at absurdly high levels of selfishness that of course they don't really need.

Surely we could agree that somewhere between living totally for yourself and your own ego and not being empathetic toward anyone else's needs, and the opposite extreme of being so selfless that you literally die or are miserable as a result of your self-denial, we must find something of a middle ground. Unless you really think we should not be selfish in the slightest -in which case feel free to stop eating, buying anything or using anything for yourself, living in a house, etc. If you meant what you said, this is what you would do - that's simply the logical consequence of denying selfishness. If man were an ideal creature, perhaps we could live and totally deny selfishness, but we are animals, and as a result we must cater to some extent - I have yet to figure out how much - to our animal instincts/necessities.

You are using the Aristotlein version of morality, which I disagree with - although the fact that you've gotten that far is impressive in its own right and sets you far above most of the people who use this site.

Aristotle believed that there were mid-points between the vices and virtues just like you explained, and that morality was an art in which you find the correct mid-point. The problem with this is that it leaves morality open to criticisms of subjectivity. One could be selfish as all hell and still label themselves as "half-way..."

Instead of accepting this glaring flaw and letting the moral relativists of the site have their way with me, I have determined that selfishness is ALWAYS immoral, no matter what the magnitude. A little selfishness is a little immoral, and a lot of selfishness is very immoral.

You are defining selfishness in the wrong way. You are contrasting the self with the community, and labeling anything done for the self as selfish and anything done for the community as selfless. This is not correct. Selfishness is a measure of inherent greed; it is a measure of excess. If I eat a sandwich when hungry, I am not being excessive in any capacity so therefore there is no greed involved. "Excessive" could be said to be subjective in its own right, and while on paper it seems to be, in reality it never is. Excessiveness includes:
- unsustainable activities
- unfair distribution of resources
- a conscious decision by the individual to justify the excess at the peril of his or her own moral judgment

A person has the objective ability to assess what is sustainable for society. One can ask questions like:
- Are there enough resources for everyone else to live like this? Or just a few?
- Am I considering the entire process, cradle to grave, of the resources being used? What are the environmental and social effects of these products?
- Would I personally like to be the one to manufacture and service the products I use? If I wouldn't want to be the person in the sweatshop producing it, or if I wouldn't want to be the person who has to service it, clean it up, etc., then chances are I'm being selfish because I'm leaving my dirty laundry for someone else who is less fortunate and obligated to deal with it. Just check the golden rule.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.