What is Intelligence?

Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:21:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Judging from:

- Living things or organic beings, intelligence, is an act of defense that can maintain the viability of an organism or living things (their selves). Similarly, a smart community can defend the community itself from collapsing.

- Non-organic objects or other material, the material is not a smart thing, but you will see the intelligence behind the material if it's capable of moving or able to make the movement from a starting point to another point and can go back to the original point. The more perfect of a movement of a material in a circular pattern, the greater the intelligence behind the material.

Examples:

1. Birds migrate and back again ... http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com...

2. Computer is an objects that can be directed to form a loop. If the computer is not damaged and showed the ability to make a circular pattern, it appeared there is intelligence behind the computer (in this case, who activate the computer, or someone makes a computer).

Objection: the wind swirl, disaster from tornado, does it mean tornado smart? or is there something smart behind the tornado? It's natural, because of the law of physics. Yes, but somehow the law of physics created a swirl, which it can be considered as intelligent force.

The reason behind this assertion is, BY COMPARISON TO OUR LIFE EXPERIENCES (since this is the closest things to ourselves where we can learn from it), that, human itself to be considered as smart or at least has capability to do smart, and we can form a circular better than most "living being" that we know (unless we found another "living being" doing the same capability as human did, maybe this living being is smart as human, closer or even better).

The simplest appearance of intelligence is similar to a sweep of the circular trajectory. Reason behind this, because life is always something moving, then after something is moving, the momentum will continue in a linear direction or headed in different directions. If the movement similar to linear, then it might be smarter or may not be smart. But if it is against momentum and form a resistance movement in a circular pattern, something that not only has the power of resistance to a certain extent, but something that also has the will, which is indicates an intelligence.

The larger the area of the movement to form a circular pattern, or the neat form of circular pattern, or circular movement involves an object that is getting bigger, then this is all also determine how big the accuracy as well as the strength of an intelligence.

Intelligence is the ability to take different directions to maintain or reach something.
I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:23:21 PM
Lol. Did you just call the Laws of Physics and the computer an "intelligent" force?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 9:34:55 PM
At 11/8/2012 9:23:21 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Lol. Did you just call the Laws of Physics and the computer an "intelligent" force?

It has connection with something intelligence. Behind it.
I am free not because I have choices, but I am free because I rely on God with quality assured!
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 3:33:35 PM
What is Intelligence?
Until now, it's what was missing from this thread.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 4:11:25 PM
I.Q. is well defined: it is the ability to score well on IQ tests. IQ test scores are shown to have useful predictive ability.

More generally, I think intelligence is defined by the ability to learn new things and to apply knowledge to solve problems. Computers, so far, don't qualify because they are not self-actuated. Computers don't take on new problems on their own.

I saw a TV program that had a piece on the intelligence of dogs. The showed a small dog reacting to having a towel thrown over his head. With much action, the dog immediately extracted himself from the towel so he could see again. Less intelligent dogs do nothing; they just wait for the world to return. The program noted that 18-month-old human infants do not try to remove the towel.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 4:22:01 PM
At 11/9/2012 4:11:25 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I.Q. is well defined: it is the ability to score well on IQ tests. IQ test scores are shown to have useful predictive ability.

More generally, I think intelligence is defined by the ability to learn new things and to apply knowledge to solve problems. Computers, so far, don't qualify because they are not self-actuated. Computers don't take on new problems on their own.

I saw a TV program that had a piece on the intelligence of dogs. The showed a small dog reacting to having a towel thrown over his head. With much action, the dog immediately extracted himself from the towel so he could see again. Less intelligent dogs do nothing; they just wait for the world to return. The program noted that 18-month-old human infants do not try to remove the towel.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 4:37:39 PM
At 11/9/2012 3:33:35 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
What is Intelligence?
Until now, it's what was missing from this thread.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 9:24:12 PM
At 11/9/2012 5:53:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
My own standard of intelligence is creativity. It resists all measurement.

I'd say it's a necessary component.

To get technical, it's a combination of the capacity for problem-solving, the actuation of ideas, and abstract thought that likely encompasses the majority of what we understand to be intelligence.

In terms of a concrete numerical measurement, there is only one purpose for that -- to manipulate some sort of social dynamic -- and intelligence is much more accurately measured by an organism's capacity to understand a situation, formulate ideas to improve its advantage in that situation, and carry those ideas out in a deft enough way to actualize the intent of those ideas. Essential components of that cumulative aptitude (i.e., intelligence) are abstract thought and creativity.
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 7:39:56 PM
I think intelligence is the ability of thinking outside of the information you can gather.

I find IQ tests to be more of a knowledge test than intelligence.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 7:49:43 PM
At 11/8/2012 9:21:48 PM, Seremonia wrote:
Judging from:

The simplest appearance of intelligence is similar to a sweep of the circular trajectory. Reason behind this, because life is always something moving, then after something is moving, the momentum will continue in a linear direction or headed in different directions. If the movement similar to linear, then it might be smarter or may not be smart. But if it is against momentum and form a resistance movement in a circular pattern, something that not only has the power of resistance to a certain extent, but something that also has the will, which is indicates an intelligence.

The larger the area of the movement to form a circular pattern, or the neat form of circular pattern, or circular movement involves an object that is getting bigger, then this is all also determine how big the accuracy as well as the strength of an intelligence.

Intelligence is the ability to take different directions to maintain or reach something.

The moon rotates in a circular manner, it also revolves around the earth, and with the earth, it revolves around the sun.

The moon must be a genius.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 7:59:23 PM
I think a genius requires more than just intelligence.

One can be more intelligent than a genius, but not be seen as a genius.
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 9:01:55 PM
At 11/10/2012 7:49:43 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
Judging from:

The moon rotates in a circular manner, it also revolves around the earth, and with the earth, it revolves around the sun.

Hi,

Something behind the moon must be genius, something behind gravity must be genius, something behind the force that creates such thing like that, must be genius. Otherwise, while we were watching an animation with the shape of circular on a computer, there must be no one (which smart, human) behind the computer (directly or indirectly), meaning the computer must be popped up by accident and somehow showed a circular animation, which it's impossible (based on our experiences).

This understanding must be compared to our experience, and from this comparison (through experience) we can try to understand possible consequences. Otherwise, there is no such way for us to learn, since our experiences are the closest to ourselves.
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 10:17:03 PM
At 11/10/2012 9:01:55 PM, Seremonia wrote:
Judging from:

Hi,

Something behind the moon must be genius, something behind gravity must be genius, something behind the force that creates such thing like that, must be genius. Otherwise, while we were watching an animation with the shape of circular on a computer, there must be no one (which smart, human) behind the computer (directly or indirectly), meaning the computer must be popped up by accident and somehow showed a circular animation, which it's impossible (based on our experiences).

This understanding must be compared to our experience, and from this comparison (through experience) we can try to understand possible consequences. Otherwise, there is no such way for us to learn, since our experiences are the closest to ourselves.

That is a pretty cool way to look at it, but the something behind the moon and gravity is an assumption, nothing really concrete. The computer we know how it became to be, is possible that something or some force is also behind the other things, but we can't really know for sure if is correct, or what this force/thing is.
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 11:48:50 PM
At 11/10/2012 10:17:03 PM, Cometflash wrote:
Judging from:

Hi,

That is a pretty cool way to look at it, but the something behind the moon and gravity is an assumption, nothing really concrete. The computer we know how it became to be, is possible that something or some force is also behind the other things, but we can't really know for sure if is correct, or what this force/thing is.

Judging from:

Hi,

Hi,

Yes, exactly, it can be considered as an assumption. But if we want to find out WHETHER A KIND OF THIS CASE CAN BE RELATED TO SUCH INTELLIGENCE OR NOT, then we must refer it by comparing to our experiences.

Besides, it's an assumption, how do we know that someday it would be the real thing?, or if it won't be like that, then let alone an assumption. But at least it's one step ahead to understand something, WHETHER A KIND OF THIS CASE CAN BE RELATED TO SUCH INTELLIGENCE OR NOT. Again, from comparison.

Besides it makes sense, reasonable, rather than just guessing improperly.

The problem in this case are:

1. There is no exact time for us to perceive something intelligence behind this planet movement (AT LEAST FOR SOME PEOPLE, WHILE THE OTHER - an enlightened being - MAY SAY AN OPPOSITE),

2. We, personally, don't want to explore reality differently (at least, again for some of us). Rather than perceiving something based on the left side of our brain, we better perceive reality by adding capability to perceive something based on the right side of our brain.

The moral behind this is, that, if we can activate both sides of our brain as the way to increase our capability to perceive something, then we have the right to judge whether there is or there is no such intelligence behind this case. Otherwise, since the way we perceive something is limited to higher activity at the left side rather than both sides of our brain are activated with the power level closer one to another, then we don't have to judge whether there is or there is no such intelligence behind this case.

BUT FOR THIS TIME (NOT SURE FOR THE NEXT TIME), it's the maximum effort for us to consider whether such this case has relation with intelligence or not. Without being doubted with our currently limited perception and without being doubted with "time is passing by and i don't see anything", in the sense that, "specific time" in this case can't be considered to judge whether something has or has no relation to something else..

Again, it's the maximum effort for us (by comparison, at least for this case) to consider whether such this case has relation with intelligence or not, reasonably.

Besides, many times assumptions helped us as guidance to increase our awareness. To alert us. And some of them became reality and those gave benefit for us. Those are examples that, assumptions could help us, because whether it's only an assumption or spirituality, physically, psychologically or in any possible means, but as long as we do it reasonably, then we have minimum loss (hopefully). And it's reality and that's a kind of a way we can use for future reference.
Seremonia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 11:56:43 PM
Judging from:

Hi,

Yes, but at least for our experiences, it told us that the most reasonable understanding is, that, AT LEAST "the force must be smart", and i hope with this small piece of understanding, AT LEAST enough to give us assertion "how should we deal with this (type of intelligence)?"