Total Posts:3|Showing Posts:1-3
Jump to topic:

"Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"?

DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 3:01:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE fan of the Assassin's Creed series, both as a game, but also as a story, a piece of art. I wanted to share the description of the central tenet/Creed at the heart of the Assassins, as well as one of the themes of the game, as a philosophical principle, and see what you all thought of it. The following is taken directly from the game Assassin's Creed: Revelations. If you want to actually listen to it explained, watch the video. It begins around :35.

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

It is merely an observation of the nature of reality.

To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
"
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 3:08:38 PM
At 11/18/2012 3:01:45 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE fan of the Assassin's Creed series, both as a game, but also as a story, a piece of art. I wanted to share the description of the central tenet/Creed at the heart of the Assassins, as well as one of the themes of the game, as a philosophical principle, and see what you all thought of it. The following is taken directly from the game Assassin's Creed: Revelations. If you want to actually listen to it explained, watch the video. It begins around :35.

To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
"

Sounds like Nietzsche.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2012 6:35:29 PM
At 11/18/2012 3:01:45 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

"

If nothing is true, doesn't this mean that "nothing is true" is also not true? Damn it, that results in circular reasoning...

To the other point, is good that it says we, because we share the consequences together sometimes, if not always. However how can everything be permitted? For that to happen there should be no laws of any kind, and we all know there is plenty of that all around us.

As I see though, they have their own definition of what those phrases means...
I think it look much better when just reading the meaning, as in;

Realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. Understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.