Jump to topic:

Someone to represent...

jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 5:53:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've recently decided to join a debate in my university and we have to put forward someone we feel can represent the Humanities and we then argue it out. Winner gets an iPad, and I want this iPad, save me buying someone a christmas present and I've no money whatsoever.
This is the format, we speak about someone for 5-10 minutes and argue that the person we put forward is best suited to represent the humanities. We then get quizzed in a 20 minute, Q&A and we can ask the other debaters questions.
Here's the point of the topic?

What can I ask, to make completely undermine these people that have been put forward;
Muhammed Ali, Neitzche, Queen Elizabeth II, and i'll get back to you with who else is being put forward.
Who would you put forward and why?

I've deliberately left out who I'm putting forward
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:32:19 PM
Hume. The guy was a philosopher who also made sound contributions to economics, political philosophy, literature, and history. The video explains it in more detail. They have a panel of one person to analyze him in each of the fields he contributed to: philosophy, history, and literature. They leave out economics/politics but a cursory Google search reveals a lot.

Hume's contributions to economics: http://www.econlib.org...
Hume on the social contract: http://web.nmsu.edu... (only the first few pages cover it)

The guy covered pretty much every subject in the humanities.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:45:13 PM
Muhammed Ali, Neitzche, Queen Elizabeth II

Ali and Elizabeth did close to jack shlt as far as real work in the humanities. The humanities are academic disciplines. That doesn't mean a leader in the field has to be some lab rat hidden away in a university department. It does mean they need to offer something substantial to the various fields though. Ali was a boxer who resisted the draft. Elizabeth is a figurehead for a dying post-colonialist former empire.

Nietzsche on the other hand is a good choice, though not one I would make. He made great contributions to literature, the classics, music, religion, and philosophy. For him perhaps drawing attention to the fact that he didn't actually have a reliable methodology in going through his investigations would be a good place to start. For the other two, just point out that their fucktards and we'll be all good.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:49:28 PM
At 11/19/2012 6:32:19 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Hume. The guy was a philosopher who also made sound contributions to economics, political philosophy, literature, and history. The video explains it in more detail. They have a panel of one person to analyze him in each of the fields he contributed to: philosophy, history, and literature. They leave out economics/politics but a cursory Google search reveals a lot.

Hume's contributions to economics: http://www.econlib.org...
Hume on the social contract: http://web.nmsu.edu... (only the first few pages cover it)

The guy covered pretty much every subject in the humanities.

I was going to do it on hume, I still might, I'm not sure. But Hume initially sprang to mind when I contemplated taking the debate. Thanks. :)

: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 6:54:38 PM
At 11/19/2012 6:45:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Ali and Elizabeth did close to jack shlt as far as real work in the humanities. The humanities are academic disciplines. That doesn't mean a leader in the field has to be some lab rat hidden away in a university department. It does mean they need to offer something substantial to the various fields though. Ali was a boxer who resisted the draft. Elizabeth is a figurehead for a dying post-colonialist former empire.

Nietzsche on the other hand is a good choice, though not one I would make. He made great contributions to literature, the classics, music, religion, and philosophy. For him perhaps drawing attention to the fact that he didn't actually have a reliable methodology in going through his investigations would be a good place to start. For the other two, just point out that their fucktards and we'll be all good.

Do you mind if I message you about my Champion? Would be nice to analyse the idea's that I've got.

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 7:00:13 PM
At 11/19/2012 6:54:38 PM, jedipengiun wrote:
At 11/19/2012 6:45:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Do you mind if I message you about my Champion? Would be nice to analyse the idea's that I've got.

No problem, message away. I'd love to help if I can.
: