What Limits Liberty?

Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:06:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd like to see your differing views in what actually limits liberty
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:08:45 PM
wut
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:10:10 PM
At 11/23/2012 3:08:45 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
wut

What are you confused about??? LOL
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:10:35 PM
Jail
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:10:36 PM
At 11/23/2012 3:10:10 PM, Yarely wrote:
wut

The question itself.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:12:22 PM
At 11/23/2012 3:10:36 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 11/23/2012 3:10:10 PM, Yarely wrote:
wut

The question itself.

What I mean is, what do you think are the most important factors that limit people's basic freedoms. An exp. would be government etc. Is that still confusing?
-Emma Goldman
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:13:24 PM
At 11/23/2012 3:06:41 PM, Yarely wrote:
I'd like to see your differing views in what actually limits liberty:

Anything beyond the scope and boundaries of societal law is outside the limits of liberty. And sometimes the laws themselves are outside the scope of liberty.

"Liberty" is an extremely subjective concept. Does one have the liberty and freedom to indiscriminately kill, or does one have freedom and liberty by preventing such things? It's all perspective.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:21:10 PM
Would any of you say inequality limits freedom?
-Emma Goldman
jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:21:54 PM

Harm to others.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:30:08 PM
Liberty is a very subjective word.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:53:31 PM
Usually the state.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:53:56 PM
If you go into any depth in political philosophy you'll come across Isiah Berlin's distinction between 'positive' and 'negative' liberty. Roughly, negative liberty is freedom from certain intrusions on people. Government forcibly taxing people, or jailing people, or torturing people are all violations of negative liberty. Positive liberty is freedom TO certain things. So, the freedom to live with adequate nourishment, to a minimum wage paying job or to basic welfare are all positive freedoms.

With negative liberty intrusions on people's lives limit liberty. With positive liberty lack of basic necessities limits liberty.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:57:20 PM
At 11/23/2012 3:30:08 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Liberty is a very subjective word.

pretty much this. First liberty has to be defined, then one can see the limiting factors. Also, liberty for who? You could maximize your own liberty through decreasing the liberty for others.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 4:20:09 PM

The government is a great example. The government, however, is justified in limiting liberty. Absolute liberty and freedom without any limits would be insane.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 4:27:48 PM

Other people.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 4:40:08 PM
Capitalism limits your liberty to travel to New York: http://www.debate.org...

I said I'd throw that in there given the sort of responses everyone else gave.
signature
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 3:59:40 PM
Typically, it's our own minds.

If you don't feel free it's usually because you haven't declared your own freedom. If you are waiting for someone to give it to you, you will wait forever.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:41:42 PM

A lack of financial freedom and high taxes are the biggest assaults on liberty. If you can't feed your family and have to rely on govt to do it, what good are liberties?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 5:47:31 PM

The fact that most people don't want to grant certain liberties.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Frederick53
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2012 6:43:21 PM
Harmful actions committed by individuals that are sometimes but not always sanctioned by the state.
In 1975, the Second Vietnam War began -1Historygenius

Like no wonder that indian dude rejected you.- Darkkermit to royalpaladin

Social Darwinism is a justification- 1Historygenius

Equal opportunity exists, so there is no problem- EvanK
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 12:01:52 AM

What kind of liberty?

Individual liberty? The liberty of other individuals and institutions which constrain individual liberty (like the state).
State liberty? The liberty of its subjects (meaning the willingness of individuals to become subjects to a state).
Liberty as a concept? The preponderance of nouns which conflict with liberty, principally the impulse to security.

The important thing here is that liberty's limits must be examined in a particular context to determine the magnitude and degree of a particular constraint. But on a conceptual level, I think it is sufficient just to say all those things not in keeping with liberty (and I realize how annoying this answer is, lol).
Tsar of DDO
jake5493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:36:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
liberty is simply the state of being happy in my opinion. i imagine that if you were trapped in a closet youd feel quite Unliberated, then imediately following your release a sense of liberty would appear. but true liberty can only be attained by death, and even with that in mind we can only speculate...
if he cared about good and evil he'd pick a side and not let the colors blend. :/
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:10:18 AM

One person's rights (liberty) end's when and where it infringes upon the rights of another. So, our rights are limited by the fact that we don't have the right to violate the rights of others and their rights are also limited in the same manner.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
jake5493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:11:40 AM

the collective morality of whatever population's liberty is in question i'd say. every other argument is basically applying defined population limitations to a very open ended question. let me ask, who's liberties are you contemplating?
if he cared about good and evil he'd pick a side and not let the colors blend. :/
jake5493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 2:14:54 AM
At 1/5/2013 12:36:17 AM, jake5493 wrote:
liberty is simply the state of being happy in my opinion. i imagine that if you were trapped in a closet youd feel quite Unliberated, then imediately following your release a sense of liberty would appear. but true liberty can only be attained by death, and even with that in mind we can only speculate...

id like to clarify, im not a goth, or a satanist, nor am i a pessimist. i simply like incorporating every aspect of a subject.