"The Conscious Mind: In Search of a"

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 9:43:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory

It's a book by David Chalmers I was looking at in Barnes and Nobles. I was wandering if anyone has read it, and if so, what they're opinion was on it, because it looked really good.

I'm probably going to buy it off amazon when I get my account sorted out. http://www.amazon.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 10:28:59 AM
Chalmers is one of the most important contemporary philosophers of mind today. You should read it.

Have you ever heard of "philosophical zombies" or the "hard problem of consciousness"? That's due to him. He's brilliant for the most part except for his wierd panpsychism. :p
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 12:43:24 PM
At 11/26/2012 10:28:59 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Chalmers is one of the most important contemporary philosophers of mind today. You should read it.

Have you ever heard of "philosophical zombies" or the "hard problem of consciousness"? That's due to him. He's brilliant for the most part except for his wierd panpsychism. :p

Yeah, what Pop said...and let me say panpsychism is a wierd way of thinking but I don't think it's fair to call it "Chalmer's" panpsychism, he certainly finds panpsychism inviting, but I don't think he has actually embraced it. It's logically coherent and compatible with his philosophical view that consciousness is a fundamental property of nature, but as far as I can tell he always stops short of embracing it.

Interestingly, one of my other favorite philosophers, Tielhard deChardin did fully embrace panpsychism, I have relatives who are panpsychists, and a great teacher from one of my favorite books does say the rocks could cry out, so who knows. There are indeed logically consistent ways you can get there from here when you dig deep into the problem of consciousness.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
StreetLogician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 5:25:11 PM
At 11/26/2012 9:43:01 AM, phantom wrote:
The Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory

It's a book by David Chalmers I was looking at in Barnes and Nobles. I was wandering if anyone has read it, and if so, what they're opinion was on it, because it looked really good.

I'm probably going to buy it off amazon when I get my account sorted out. http://www.amazon.com...

It's a must read for anyone interested in philosophy of mind.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 10:45:51 PM
The Fool: I agree, Chalmers is one of the best ones out there today. Keeping back the cold, lifeless Robotronic zombie armies of materialism, functionalism, and worst of them all, the Eliminationalist. I must say that I am suspicious of anybody who doesn't know they exist, and on that same note deny the very same consciousness which is a necessary condition for the conception of empirical to make any sense at all.
If there was a way to detect zombie that is definitely the way how we tell the difference.

I think there are a few among us on DDO, that is the na"ve Empirics. Nihilists, and positivist followers of Dan Dennett..

Be aware, be aware DDO we are under attack by zombies, that's right, the mush minds themselves. and they want to eliminate our minds too. nobody is safe. AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!. Run for you lives.

PS My Hill is already Occupied, buy many of the survivors: look to the kangaroo.

PS(PS) I will allow a few hot babes,

But definitely no stinking badgers!!!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2012 11:38:22 PM
At 11/26/2012 10:45:51 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
The Fool: I agree, Chalmers is one of the best ones out there today. Keeping back the cold, lifeless Robotronic zombie armies of materialism, functionalism, and worst of them all, the Eliminationalist. I must say that I am suspicious of anybody who doesn't know they exist, and on that same note deny the very same consciousness which is a necessary condition for the conception of empirical to make any sense at all.
If there was a way to detect zombie that is definitely the way how we tell the difference.

I think there are a few among us on DDO, that is the na"ve Empirics. Nihilists, and positivist followers of Dan Dennett..

Be aware, be aware DDO we are under attack by zombies, that's right, the mush minds themselves. and they want to eliminate our minds too. nobody is safe. AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!. Run for you lives.

PS My Hill is already Occupied, buy many of the survivors: look to the kangaroo.

PS(PS) I will allow a few hot babes,

But definitely no stinking badgers!!!

It's a shame that your hill is apparently already occupied because I'd really love to join you up there; the view seems interesting, hilarious, depressing, and refreshing all at the same time. Run for your life from the mush minded zombies, indeed indeed! You're awesome, my Fool. Keep being Foolish, it's what you do best.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 3:01:56 AM
Anybody read 'Godel, Escher, Bach?'
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2012 4:57:05 AM
At 11/27/2012 3:01:56 AM, MouthWash wrote:
Anybody read 'Godel, Escher, Bach?'

Yeah, about a hundred years ago, recall it was great.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:47:24 PM
At 11/26/2012 12:43:24 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 11/26/2012 10:28:59 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yeah, what Pop said...and let me say panpsychism is a wierd way of thinking but I don't think it's fair to call it "Chalmer's" panpsychism, he certainly finds panpsychism inviting, but I don't think he has actually embraced it. It's logically coherent and compatible with his philosophical view that consciousness is a fundamental property of nature, but as far as I can tell he always stops short of embracing it.

Oops, you are correct, good sir. He embraces something like neutral monism/russellian monism which *could* logically lead to panpsychism but doesn't necessarily have to.

I just discovered a REALLY good paper explicating russellian monism and providing a modest defense of it.

http://www.yujinnagasawa.com...

Interestingly, one of my other favorite philosophers, Tielhard deChardin did fully embrace panpsychism, I have relatives who are panpsychists, and a great teacher from one of my favorite books does say the rocks could cry out, so who knows. There are indeed logically consistent ways you can get there from here when you dig deep into the problem of consciousness.

Do you have any links to his work?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
StreetLogician
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2012 2:25:30 AM
Chalmers has his papers on line at consc.net. I also recommend philpapers.org where a great many philosophers post there papers. All this for free.