Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Popper/Camus/Quinne

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:17:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What are the best books by these people?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:35:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Camus: everything. I just finished the Rebel and it was terrific as expected. I'd say The Rebel and The Stranger probs.

I haven't read anything full by Popper or Quine though. Popper seems to have codified his philosophy of science in Logic of Scientific Discovery and his political philosophy in Open Society. So do with that what you will. I don't know anything Quine wrote.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:41:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 8:35:53 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Camus: everything. I just finished the Rebel and it was terrific as expected. I'd say The Rebel

That's political isn't it? Doesn't usually interest me much but perhaps I'll read it.

and The Stranger probs.

I'll look into it.


I haven't read anything full by Popper or Quine though. Popper seems to have codified his philosophy of science in Logic of Scientific Discovery and his political philosophy in Open Society. So do with that what you will. I don't know anything Quine wrote.

Thanks
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:47:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 8:41:48 PM, phantom wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:35:53 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Camus: everything. I just finished the Rebel and it was terrific as expected. I'd say The Rebel

That's political isn't it? Doesn't usually interest me much but perhaps I'll read it.

It's part political part philosophical-literary. I'd say the overarching theme is political though. The chapters on Nazism (irrational terrorism) and Russian communism (rational terrorism) are superb though. They totes counteracted the somewhat dry chapters that got too literary for me.

and The Stranger probs.

I'll look into it.

Get in your car right now. Go to a book store. Break in the book store. Get The Stranger. Read it. Now.


I haven't read anything full by Popper or Quine though. Popper seems to have codified his philosophy of science in Logic of Scientific Discovery and his political philosophy in Open Society. So do with that what you will. I don't know anything Quine wrote.

Thanks
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2012 8:50:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/5/2012 8:47:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:41:48 PM, phantom wrote:
At 12/5/2012 8:35:53 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Camus: everything. I just finished the Rebel and it was terrific as expected. I'd say The Rebel

That's political isn't it? Doesn't usually interest me much but perhaps I'll read it.

It's part political part philosophical-literary. I'd say the overarching theme is political though. The chapters on Nazism (irrational terrorism) and Russian communism (rational terrorism) are superb though. They totes counteracted the somewhat dry chapters that got too literary for me.

Well it's about time I start reading political philosophy anyway, so maybe I'll get it if I find it at a good price.

and The Stranger probs.

I'll look into it.

Get in your car right now. Go to a book store. Break in the book store. Get The Stranger. Read it. Now.

On my way!


I haven't read anything full by Popper or Quine though. Popper seems to have codified his philosophy of science in Logic of Scientific Discovery and his political philosophy in Open Society. So do with that what you will. I don't know anything Quine wrote.

Thanks
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:11:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Quine: "Naturalized epistemology". LOL. Other than that and some other of his other wierd views he's allright.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Apeiron
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 12:32:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Camus's Stranger is only the best because it's short enough to dedicate you, but long enough to pick up on his style.

To understand Quine, just get the Cambridge Companion to Quine... you'll know what to do from there.

Popper's "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" was probably the most influential.

Though modern justificationism has since out-moted his take on science
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2012 8:52:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/5/2012 11:46:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo

To get dat Quine, you gotta get, like:

-- Word and Object: this shit be poppin'.
-- Everything with the word "logic" in the title: Quine be renowned as a logician, bro. Gotta get some o dat set theory. Also, man, you gotta read up on "Quining".

Lol alright.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 10:46:06 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/8/2012 2:53:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/6/2012 12:11:33 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Quine: "Naturalized epistemology". LOL. Other than that and some other of his other wierd views he's allright.

"Other than the things I don't like, I like him."

Exactly.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!