Jump to topic:

What is a thinking person to do?

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2012 11:14:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"Does a society that is hell bent on destroying itself deserve to be prevented from doing so?"

Not that I alone could save a society from destroying itself. But!

If the world (around me) doesn't care. Then why should I care?

Why DO I care?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Clash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 7:23:07 AM
At 12/7/2012 11:14:04 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
"Does a society that is hell bent on destroying itself deserve to be prevented from doing so?"

If they are doing it intentionally (something only an idiot would do), then I don't think they deserve to be prevented from destroying themselves. However, if they aren't doing it intentionally, then we should indeed help them from destroying themselves. It would just be wrong to let a people or society destroy itself when they aren't doing it intentionally and when we can help them.

Why DO I care?

Because you are rational. A rational person easily understands that he shouldn't do something just because most other people do it, especially if it is something as stupid as destroying your own society.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 10:32:25 AM

How is the society destroying itself and why?

I doubt a single post could save a society but we will see as you are not alone.

You may have found a way to enlighten their ignorance.

Why DO I care?

IDK, but I know you do because your here and you found it important enough to discuss.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 9:43:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/9/2012 7:23:07 AM, Clash wrote:

If they are doing it intentionally (something only an idiot would do), then I don't think they deserve to be prevented from destroying themselves. However, if they aren't doing it intentionally, then we should indeed help them from destroying themselves. It would just be wrong to let a people or society destroy itself when they aren't doing it intentionally and when we can help them.

Why DO I care?

Because you are rational. A rational person easily understands that he shouldn't do something just because most other people do it, especially if it is something as stupid as destroying your own society.

Thanks for this Clash. I don't agree that I fall into the "right vs wrong" line of thinking but I think you've nailed me on the rest.

I'm too rational for my own comfort in this world.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 9:49:43 PM
At 12/9/2012 10:32:25 AM, pozessed wrote:

How is the society destroying itself and why?

That's a fair question Pozessed. However, I didn't have anything specific in mind when I wrote it. As far as your question "why?" Did you intend for that to be "why is society destroying itself?" or "why do I feel that society is destroying itself?"

I doubt a single post could save a society but we will see as you are not alone.

You may have found a way to enlighten their ignorance.

Everytime I convince myself of that, it's short lived because it only garners even more ignorance from the very people I have tried to reach.

Why DO I care?

IDK, but I know you do because your here and you found it important enough to discuss.

True. Still I would just assume someone help me to NOT care anymore so I can join the world of the uncaring "ignorance is bliss" crowd again.

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 10:34:17 PM
At 12/9/2012 9:43:14 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Why DO I care?

Thanks for this Clash. I don't agree that I fall into the "right vs wrong" line of thinking but I think you've nailed me on the rest.

how come you're uncomfortable being rational not falling into the "right vs wrong" line of thinking?
signature
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 12:20:17 AM
At 12/9/2012 10:34:17 PM, badger wrote:
At 12/9/2012 9:43:14 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

Why DO I care?

how come you're uncomfortable being rational not falling into the "right vs wrong" line of thinking?

I have no idea.

Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 10:36:15 AM

Why DO I care?

Do you actually believe that society is literally trying to destroy itself? each other maybe. U should care simply because it is morally the right thing to do. People shouldn't just do the right thing becuase other people are doing the right thing. The "morally right" choice is usually what helps people out. And helping people helps us coexist. And we need to coexist to survive. So if anything do it for self preservation
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 6:27:04 PM
At 12/10/2012 3:21:18 AM, badger wrote:
you should be a communist.

Yeah. I don't think so.

If that were so obvious, I would have discovered (gravitated to it) before this point in my life.

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 6:33:09 PM
At 12/10/2012 10:36:15 AM, Df0512 wrote:

Why DO I care?

Do you actually believe that society is literally trying to destroy itself?

No. Not conciously anyway.

... U should care simply because it is morally the right thing to do.

Yeah, I suppose I'm tired of that expectation.

People shouldn't just do the right thing becuse other people are doing the right thing. The "morally right" choice is usually what helps people out. And helping people helps us coexist. And we need to coexist to survive. So if anything do it for self preservation

You may have just touched on something. If I felt I had more to live FOR personally, that would (could) logically extend to a greater concern for society.

As it is, mine has been on a downward slope for both.