Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Matrix universe

Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 11:20:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.foxnews.com...

Some scientist are planning an experiment to test and see if we are living in a simulated universe.......Do you think this experiment will yield any interesting results? If it turns out to be true what could some of the possible outcomes be? For example, do we just continue living as normal? Let me know your opinion.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 11:36:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well first off, I would have to screw my religion.

Second, We would have solved the problem of evil: FVCKING PEOPLE MESSING WITH US!

Third, We could blame the 2nd for all our problems.

Fourth, If we could game the system, we could fvck around alot and make our own worlds n stuff.

Fifth, find a way to never Die.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 12:23:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think that there was a rebuttal to him somewhere using probability theory, but I can't remember where to find it.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:13:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 12:35:58 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I'd continue living as I am now. What could I do, after all?

I guess that depends on the possible results. Don't you think life might become a little less meaningfull if you found out you were a computer program?
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:16:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 11:36:09 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Well first off, I would have to screw my religion.

Second, We would have solved the problem of evil: FVCKING PEOPLE MESSING WITH US!

Third, We could blame the 2nd for all our problems.

Fourth, If we could game the system, we could fvck around alot and make our own worlds n stuff.

Fifth, find a way to never Die.

HAHA You think "they" would let you go that far. I think if they ever found out we found out, they would immediatly wipe our memories. Who knows maybe we already found out and they have already wiped our minds. On that note, who know all the crazy stuff they could have did to us that we dont know about.
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:17:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:16:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/17/2012 11:36:09 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Well first off, I would have to screw my religion.

Second, We would have solved the problem of evil: FVCKING PEOPLE MESSING WITH US!

Third, We could blame the 2nd for all our problems.

Fourth, If we could game the system, we could fvck around alot and make our own worlds n stuff.

Fifth, find a way to never Die.

HAHA You think "they" would let you go that far. I think if they ever found out we found out, they would immediatly wipe our memories. Who knows maybe we already found out and they have already wiped our minds. On that note, who know all the crazy stuff they could have did to us that we dont know about.

Um... you need help.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:56:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:13:40 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/17/2012 12:35:58 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
I'd continue living as I am now. What could I do, after all?

I guess that depends on the possible results. Don't you think life might become a little less meaningfull if you found out you were a computer program?

I don't think life is particularly meaningful now, so no, it wouldn't change much. Of course, of we were somehow to find out how to change our virtual universe, that would be cool (as long as all people could do it).
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 1:59:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 1:17:18 PM, MouthWash wrote:
At 12/17/2012 1:16:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/17/2012 11:36:09 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Well first off, I would have to screw my religion.

Second, We would have solved the problem of evil: FVCKING PEOPLE MESSING WITH US!

Third, We could blame the 2nd for all our problems.

Fourth, If we could game the system, we could fvck around alot and make our own worlds n stuff.

Fifth, find a way to never Die.

HAHA You think "they" would let you go that far. I think if they ever found out we found out, they would immediatly wipe our memories. Who knows maybe we already found out and they have already wiped our minds. On that note, who know all the crazy stuff they could have did to us that we dont know about.

Um... you need help.

HAha its a valid thought. At least I thought it was. I mean how would we know. We couldm have destroyed the earth 6 times already, and they could have just hit the reset button and we would be any the wiser.
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 2:08:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 11:20:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Some scientist are planning an experiment to test and see if we are living in a simulated universe.......Do you think this experiment will yield any interesting results? If it turns out to be true what could some of the possible outcomes be? For example, do we just continue living as normal? Let me know your opinion.

It's like a sim in the sims game trying to work out if it's a game while the programmer made it do so. very stupid.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:45:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Occams razor to the rescue on this one.

A simulated reality requires more entities (assumptions) compared to a real reality and provides no more explanatory power, thus stick the proposition that has the least assumptions.

Living in reality has less assumptions than living in a simulated reality.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:34:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:45:34 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Occams razor to the rescue on this one.

A simulated reality requires more entities (assumptions) compared to a real reality and provides no more explanatory power, thus stick the proposition that has the least assumptions.

Living in reality has less assumptions than living in a simulated reality.

Could you further explain this please.
SovereignDream
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:13:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 11:20:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Some scientist are planning an experiment to test and see if we are living in a simulated universe.......Do you think this experiment will yield any interesting results? If it turns out to be true what could some of the possible outcomes be? For example, do we just continue living as normal? Let me know your opinion.

I think that such an "experiment" is completely bogus. Whether we inhabit in a "simulated universe" or whether we are "brains in vats" or whether we're "dreaming" is not the business of science or empirical investigation to stipulate, but rather the role of reason to discover. Whichever "scientists" are leading this absurd experiment ought to perhaps take a couple of philosophy classes and perhaps learn to distinguish between an empirical issue and a philosophical one.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:26:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Matrix Universe is a fact, but there is no super computer and no programmer. The Universe is a self-existent hologram. David Bohm told us that decades ago.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:52:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/17/2012 11:20:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Some scientist are planning an experiment to test and see if we are living in a simulated universe.......Do you think this experiment will yield any interesting results? If it turns out to be true what could some of the possible outcomes be? For example, do we just continue living as normal? Let me know your opinion.
I do not agree that his conclusions are necessarily valid. Regardless, from our perspective there's no difference between the 2 outcomes!

Don't you think life might become a little less meaningfull if you found out you were a computer program?
1) No: life's meaning is what you decide it to be.

2) What makes you think that there's a difference between being a "program" and not? Being a "program" might be the only difference between a person and a rock!

At 12/18/2012 1:45:34 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Occams razor to the rescue on this one.
Not really.

A simulated reality requires more entities (assumptions) compared to a real reality and provides no more explanatory power, thus stick the proposition that has the least assumptions.
1) That doesn't mean we're not a simulation.

2) It does not follow that ALL simulations of reality be more complex than reality itself. Actually, that goes against the laws of thermodynamics. For all you know, we could be a simulation of a SIMPLIFIED reality and thus require LESS complexity than reality itself.

Living in reality has less assumptions than living in a simulated reality.
Doesn't follow.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:22:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:26:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Matrix Universe is a fact, but there is no super computer and no programmer. The Universe is a self-existent hologram. David Bohm told us that decades ago.

Well what would make it a fact?
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 4:08:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 2:22:46 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:26:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Matrix Universe is a fact, but there is no super computer and no programmer. The Universe is a self-existent hologram. David Bohm told us that decades ago.

Well what would make it a fact?
Actually, Geo is incorrectly attributing Michael Talbot's "work" to David Bohm. David Bohm only used a hologram as an ANALOGY to the implicate & explicate order. I totally agree with Bohm's view on the 2 types of order as well as his views on QM (Bohmian Mechanics.) I just think that Bohm fell slightly short and missed a few things! Anyways, it's actually Talbot that believed in the holographic universe which is mostly pop-science.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:28:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:34:59 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:45:34 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Occams razor to the rescue on this one.

A simulated reality requires more entities (assumptions) compared to a real reality and provides no more explanatory power, thus stick the proposition that has the least assumptions.

Living in reality has less assumptions than living in a simulated reality.

Could you further explain this please.

Google it ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 7:38:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 1:28:59 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:34:59 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:45:34 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Occams razor to the rescue on this one.

A simulated reality requires more entities (assumptions) compared to a real reality and provides no more explanatory power, thus stick the proposition that has the least assumptions.

Living in reality has less assumptions than living in a simulated reality.

Could you further explain this please.

Google it ?

Not sure what i would be googling. I just didnt understand your point.
stealspell
Posts: 980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 9:57:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Q: If this is a simulation, where is the simulator?

A1: If in a simulation, see question.
A2: If in reality, see psychiatrist.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,730
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2012 9:33:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I see two possibilities:
A) This simulation malarkey is just a bunch of gobbly-gook.
B) We are simulations, being simulated by people who are, themselves, simulations of someone else. In a short period of time, we will ourselves learn how to simulate. There is no meaningful distinction between the natural and the artificial.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2012 8:57:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 9:57:30 PM, stealspell wrote:
Q: If this is a simulation, where is the simulator?


A1: If in a simulation, see question.
A2: If in reality, see psychiatrist.

Well we wouldn't be able to find the simulator. That would be defeating the purpose of us being here. Unless they wanted us to find it...
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 6:50:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:13:49 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 12/17/2012 11:20:39 AM, Df0512 wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com...

Some scientist are planning an experiment to test and see if we are living in a simulated universe.......Do you think this experiment will yield any interesting results? If it turns out to be true what could some of the possible outcomes be? For example, do we just continue living as normal? Let me know your opinion.

I think that such an "experiment" is completely bogus. Whether we inhabit in a "simulated universe" or whether we are "brains in vats" or whether we're "dreaming" is not the business of science or empirical investigation to stipulate, but rather the role of reason to discover. Whichever "scientists" are leading this absurd experiment ought to perhaps take a couple of philosophy classes and perhaps learn to distinguish between an empirical issue and a philosophical one.

Why don't you actually learn about these things instead of spouting some mumbo-jumbo that you got from flipping through a philosophy textbook? At least find out what the experiment is...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)