Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Instumentalism and Pragmatic theory of truth.

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 9:36:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No. Wait. I can't remember. Instrumentalism doesn't posit truth is relative to what is pragmatic does it?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 9:37:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Also pragmatists want to avoid metaphysics. Insturmentalism doesn't entail that.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 11:09:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/23/2012 9:33:53 PM, Center_for_Rationality wrote:
Does believing in Instumentalism as a philosophy of science commit you to the pragmatic theory of truth?

No. I disagree to it. It is stupid.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 8:57:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/24/2012 2:43:26 AM, Center_for_Rationality wrote:
Disagree with both? Or which? And what specifically?

I disagree to instrumentalism. The purpose of science is to reach a conclusion in a valid MANNER not worry about what the truth is useful for.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 10:32:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/24/2012 8:57:14 AM, RationalMadman wrote:
At 12/24/2012 2:43:26 AM, Center_for_Rationality wrote:
Disagree with both? Or which? And what specifically?

I disagree to instrumentalism. The purpose of science is to reach a conclusion in a valid MANNER not worry about what the truth is useful for.

It's more than just that. But I can't really remember. It's been a while.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Center_for_Rationality
Posts: 48
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 12:59:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/24/2012 8:57:14 AM, RationalMadman wrote:
At 12/24/2012 2:43:26 AM, Center_for_Rationality wrote:
Disagree with both? Or which? And what specifically?

I disagree to instrumentalism. The purpose of science is to reach a conclusion in a valid MANNER not worry about what the truth is useful for.

Instrumentalism isn't really about what truth is useful for but what science in itself is useful for. For example, special relativity is useful for making predictions about the universe however it may not be true because its riddled with unproveable assumptions such as the speed of light is constant in a one way direction from any two points A and B.