Jump to topic:

Honor

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 10:54:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
How do you define honor? How much importance does honor carry and what qualities does it measure?

How much honor do you have?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 11:27:05 AM
I think "honor" can mean one of two different things. When you show a person honor, or when you honor a person, that's just a synonym for "respect." But when you have honor, or when you are an honorable person, that means you are a morally upstanding person worthy of respect.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 4:41:52 PM
At 12/25/2012 10:54:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
How do you define honor? How much importance does honor carry and what qualities does it measure?

Honor is the degree to which one sticks to their morality in times where it would be far less beneficial to do so.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 9:49:48 PM
At 12/25/2012 4:41:52 PM, RationalMadman wrote:

Honor is the degree to which one sticks to their morality in times where it would be far less beneficial to do so.

I thought that was integrity.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2012 10:25:34 PM
The concept of 'honour' and all it's connotations is no simple subject. To properly understand this fascinating, complex subject I highly, highly recommend this series on honour with most articles found here http://artofmanliness.com... , plus this conclusion http://artofmanliness.com...

That said, I don't expect you to read all of it; I skimmed a few sections myself. Let's go over some crucial trends.

Traditional honour consists of having a reputation judged worthy of respect and admiration by a group of equal peers who share the same code of standards. Now, there's also horizontal honour, the right to respect among an exclusive society of equals, vs. vertical honour which is more about praising those who excel and fulfil a code of honour.

Of course, this code of honour changes drastically over time. One development of the past hundred years or so is a turn from outward, external codes of honour to internal, private ones, which is based on a variety of trends. Furthermore, the values behind 'honour' change, particularly given the rise of internal codes of honour.

I've just discussed the tip of the proverbial iceberg, but already your second and 3rd questions are extremely difficult to answer. For instance, 'How much honor do you have?' is entirely dependent on one's assessment of the value of internal vs. external honour, recognition etc. Without clarification of the question's intent I can't answer this, short of a tremendously lengthy discourse.

I strongly recommend reading the links. Particularly part VI, although other parts are certainly recommended as well.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:05:03 AM

I think if you have honor you have integrity. You do yhe right thing simply because its the right thing to do. I think I am a pretty honorable man. Althought I havn't done anything spectacular with my life.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 1:07:46 AM

I think honor is pretty much tied to 'selflessness.'

A person who puts their own wants and needs and sometimes ideals aside out of respect for the wants, needs and ideals of others is doing so in 'honor' of them.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...