Jump to topic:

You

RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 11:38:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What are you other than your physical body and all that it has done? Is there even a remote chance of 'souls' and 'afterlife'?
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:02:44 AM
At 1/3/2013 11:38:41 PM, RationalMadman wrote:
What are you other than your physical body and all that it has done?
mind/soul
Is there even a remote chance of 'souls' and 'afterlife'?
Yes.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:08:07 AM
What are you other than your physical body and all that it has done? Is there even a remote chance of 'souls' and 'afterlife'?

I'm content with the idea that I am nothing more than my own physical body, memories, experiences and all. But I wouldn't mind finding out (upon death) that there's more 'life' to be lived on the other side of this reality. Especially if it would mean the chance of seeing loved ones who have passed on too.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 1:34:56 PM

The question is, is defining "me" as my physical self a good definition? I'd say no. My physical body is always changing. Constantly. Does that mean I'm a different person every day, every minute, every second? Am I constantly ceasing to be? Does that mean my wife is sleeping with different men? (Okay I don't actually have a wife)

One thing that is never changing is my conscious experience. No matter how much my body changes, I share the same consciousness. Once I'm no longer conscious, I cease to be and that happens at death. If my consciousness was transported to another body, I wouldn't cease to be. I'd still exist. If the after-life is real, I don't cease to exist even though my body does. "Me" is not best defined in a physical way.

Yes it's possible.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 1:41:00 PM
Indeed. This is the only thing we have empirical & verifiable evidence for.

Very remote; it's basically pure speculation.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 1:56:14 PM
Wiseman: I have heard a rumor that there is a debate of this nature happening right now. But one of contenders is of a foolish sort, so he must be wrong.

The Fool v.s. Danial

http://www.debate.org...
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 9:34:36 PM
At 1/4/2013 1:41:00 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Very remote; it's basically pure speculation.

It's not pure speculation. If there is a possibility that God exists, there is a possibility that souls exist. We have good reason to believe a God exists, so we have good reason to believe that souls exist. But even if not, there would not be a "remote" chance. If it's not "scientifically" verifiable that we have souls, that doesn't negate the chance of our having them. We just couldn't tell. Chances may be very good (especially if a God actually exists) that we do have souls, we just can't properly determine the odds.