Jump to topic:

All the Philosophers Please Stand Up?

Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 4:04:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Who are the practicing or student philosophers on this site? I'm one, I'd like to know who else is...
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 4:15:14 PM
At 1/4/2013 4:04:54 PM, Apeiron wrote:
Who are the practicing or student philosophers on this site? I'm one, I'd like to know who else is...

How do you define philosopher? I don't have a degree (though I'm possibly going to go get one), and I don't make a living at it. But I do discuss/debate philosophy, write blog articles on the ethics regarding abortion, and I occasionally speak and mentor on abortion. I guess you could consider me a freelance philosopher.
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:20:59 PM
I am a philosopher fighting for the philosophical opposition to philosophy being a superior subject to study. Quite interesting indeed.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:37:49 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:09:33 PM, Apeiron wrote:
At 1/4/2013 4:15:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Here.

Can I ask your focus?

Maybe ethics? I'm pretty general, dipped my feet in a few areas with an interest in political philosophy. How far along are you?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:44:03 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:20:59 PM, RationalMadman wrote:
I am a philosopher fighting for the philosophical opposition to philosophy being a superior subject to study. Quite interesting indeed.

The Fool: I am a Practicing Foolosopher! But this may not meet your standards.
<(8O)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:46:54 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:44:03 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

<(8O)

Is french your first language?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:52:56 PM
Seems to me studying someones elses philosophy does not make you a philosopher but rather a follower. Without real world wisdom and the ability to learn from history, philosophy is as usless as a bag of hammers.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:54:21 PM
Present.

http://dictionary.reference.com...
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 5:56:49 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:52:56 PM, sadolite wrote:
Seems to me studying someones elses philosophy does not make you a philosopher but rather a follower. Without real world wisdom and the ability to learn from history, philosophy is as usless as a bag of hammers.

I dunno man, a bag of hammers is pretty useful if you want to build a house or something.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 6:29:07 PM
sadolite: Seems to me studying someones elses philosophy does not make you a philosopher but rather a follower.

The Fool: Then I think its time you invest in glasses. I won't make fun of you.

sadolite: Without real world wisdom and the ability to learn from history, philosophy is as usless as a bag of hammers.

The Fool: If something is already, why do you need to add real to it. Does it become something other, or more. if that is so, you should take you own philosophic advice, and keep calling you self Real Edjumecated over and forever and then come back..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 6:36:24 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:56:49 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

The Fool: You sound hammered.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 6:38:22 PM
At 1/4/2013 5:46:54 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/4/2013 5:44:03 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

<(8O)

Is french your first language?

Le fol: Oui.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:32:57 AM
Define philosopher.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:39:13 AM
At 1/4/2013 5:56:49 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

I dunno man, a bag of hammers is pretty useful if you want to build a house or something.

I for one could use a bag of hammers right about now.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:41:01 AM
At 1/5/2013 12:32:57 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Define philosopher.

I meant a practicing, professional philosopher, or at least someone who has an BA in it (or is a student in with philosophy as their major.)

I was just curious, I know there's a lot of folks on here who enjoy reading and discussing philosophy, and that's cool.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:41:24 AM
At 1/4/2013 6:12:56 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Used to be one. Then I wised up. :P

Going for another degree?
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:42:06 AM

Seem like a pluralist to me.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:56:23 AM
At 1/4/2013 5:37:49 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 1/4/2013 5:09:33 PM, Apeiron wrote:
At 1/4/2013 4:15:15 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Here.

Can I ask your focus?

Maybe ethics? I'm pretty general, dipped my feet in a few areas with an interest in political philosophy. How far along are you?

I wish I had an interest in ethics and politics.

I'm a student in the history and philosophy of science at Pitt. couple classes left.. but since that has no practical application for making money whatsoever, I'm also a geophysicist (was a meteorologist in the military).

My interest is in scientific & religious epistemology, and the history and philosophy of physics.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:43:26 PM
I'd love to get a degree in Philosophy, I just don't know what I'd do with it afterwards.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:46:26 PM
The prospect of becoming a philosopher in the future certainly sounds appealing to me, but it probably won't happen. I'll stand up as a wannabe philosopher then?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 5:06:49 PM
At 1/5/2013 4:43:26 PM, socialpinko wrote:
I'd love to get a degree in Philosophy, I just don't know what I'd do with it afterwards.

Just double major, minor in philosophy, or sit in on as many classes as you can.

Most schools require you to take a bunch of humanities anyways...
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 6:30:19 PM
At 1/5/2013 4:43:26 PM, socialpinko wrote:

It's not really that you can use it for making money. But I'd say it does add greater clarity to life, among other benefits. It's therapeutic in a way, especially for scientists.

It's basically more of a "quality of life" rather than a "quantity of life" (in terms of money).
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 6:52:42 PM
The Fool: Humanities.=/= Philosophy. If so only in the way that Religion should also be considered philosophy, Which is Ideological philosophy at best.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 8:00:16 PM
At 1/5/2013 12:56:53 AM, Apeiron wrote:
At 1/4/2013 5:54:21 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:
Present.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

Can I ask your focus?

Abortion............and not much else I'm guessing.
:
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 1:22:57 PM
At 1/5/2013 12:41:24 AM, Apeiron wrote:
At 1/4/2013 6:12:56 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Used to be one. Then I wised up. :P

Going for another degree?

Yeah, I switched to international business.

Anyways, my two "main" (and favorite) focuses are phil of religion and mind. Those fields interact with pretty much everything else that I like in philosophy (science, ethics, free will, metaphysics, ect) so thats pretty cool.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!