Jump to topic:

what makes you you???

jake5493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:07:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
to my knowledge, humanity's way of defining someone, even to yourself, hinges on one key aspect. relationships with a persons collective perception of... well, "you." i apologize if this sounds like pothead talk, id just really like to know what other's views on self awareness and "the existence of self" are. responses will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.
if he cared about good and evil he'd pick a side and not let the colors blend. :/
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 8:57:00 AM
At 1/5/2013 1:07:52 AM, jake5493 wrote:
to my knowledge, humanity's way of defining someone, even to yourself, hinges on one key aspect. relationships with a persons collective perception of... well, "you." i apologize if this sounds like pothead talk, id just really like to know what other's views on self awareness and "the existence of self" are. responses will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.

Past experience, personal observation and the unending need to fix and make things is what makes me, me.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RationalMadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 9:02:10 AM
Your physical body and all that it's done.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 12:37:53 PM
I'll just re-post what I said in another thread with a few modifications.

The question is, is defining "me" as my physical self a good definition? I'd say no. My physical body is always changing. Constantly. Does that mean I'm a different person every day, every minute, every second? Am I constantly ceasing to be? I don't think that's a very good way to think of "you", because intuitively we should say we're always the same person, even if some of our properties change over time.

One thing that is never changing is my conscious experience. No matter how much my body changes, I share the same consciousness. Once I'm no longer conscious, I cease to be and that happens at death. If my consciousness was transported to another body, I wouldn't cease to be. I'd still exist. If the after-life is real, I don't cease to exist even though my body does. "You" is not best defined in a physical way.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 1:00:25 PM
At 1/5/2013 9:02:10 AM, RationalMadman wrote:

X2
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:11:04 PM

The Fool: So if The Humanity in itself, what ever that is, Defined you in another way, would you seize to you what you are now and then turn into another things?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:20:50 PM
At 1/5/2013 9:02:10 AM, RationalMadman wrote:

The Fool: You mean YOU confuse yourself with your Physical body, If what you say is true, Then grab your shovels, because there is a lot of corpses to be dug up.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:22:08 PM
At 1/5/2013 8:57:00 AM, sadolite wrote:

Past experience, personal observation and the unending need to fix and make things is what makes me, me.

The Fool: I think you must a tleast exist, or or. oh no another zombie.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 7:06:03 AM

This question, any question in fact, all knowledge and all rational thought presupposes a "self" that does the asking and knowing.

The self is that presupposed center of consciousness that we are referring to when we use the pronouns "I", "you" and "we", with an acceptance that we are referring to something that is intuitively clear and has at least some commonly agreed upon characteristics. The conscious "self" is difficult to define precisely, but even deniers require an account of what is being denied, in the same way, we can bind the term to agreed upon characteristics in order to utilize it in discussion without making controversial determinations about matters such as mind/body duality, source, or specific causality.

The self then, is that entity that is aware via a single unified conscious experience of the world, in which particular experiences are unified into a more complex experience that provides continuity of self over time allowing us to relate the continual stream of temporal experiences, recall antecedent experiences, and make comparisons of the contents of experience. The self is not only aware of the contents of experience, but is also self-aware, there is a "single common subject of one's experience", which is to say that we possess the quality of "self-consciousness", we do not only know, we know that we know, so to speak.

So, I would say the answer to your question of what makes you, you, or me, me, is a sentient, conscious, and self-aware being, with a unique history of particular experiences that are unified into a continuity of experience that includes the memory and/or accumulated effects of our respective histories.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater