Jump to topic:

Recommendations

socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 4:39:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm looking to buy a few books. Send some good recommendations my way. Interested in:

-Post-Aristotelian Greek Philosophy
-Introductions in Metaphysics
-Good intros to Spinoza/Kant

Really anything else though. I'm pretty open minded in what I read.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 5:14:40 PM
For Kant, I got this one from the library a while back. It's short, but good.

http://www.amazon.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 6:48:35 PM
At 1/5/2013 4:39:13 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Best intro to metaphysics out there (IMO, of course) and one I always recommend.

At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:41:10 PM
At 1/5/2013 7:30:57 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I really suggest you take some courses. There's no substitute for professional instruction and evaluation of your work.

http://img0.joyreactor.com...
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:43:08 PM
I'm looking to buy a few books. Send some good recommendations my way. Interested in:

A Thousand Plateaus, by Deleuze and Guattari
Anti-Oedipus by D and G (Way more specific than the above)
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:43:46 PM
At 1/5/2013 7:43:08 PM, Chicken wrote:

A Thousand Plateaus, by Deleuze and Guattari
Anti-Oedipus by D and G (Way more specific than the above)
That stuff requires a BIG open mind.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 7:59:10 PM
I really suggest you take some courses. There's no substitute for professional instruction and evaluation of your work.

I'm starting an Intro to Philosophy and an Ethics course this Wednesday with Intro to Logic over the summer ;)
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2013 11:01:26 PM
At 1/5/2013 7:59:10 PM, socialpinko wrote:

I'm starting an Intro to Philosophy and an Ethics course this Wednesday with Intro to Logic over the summer ;)

Some one like you probably can & should skip the intro.
You'll probably be bored out of your mind.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 12:27:35 AM
I think you could benefit from this one:

Inquiry and Essays by Thomas Reid

"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 6:02:13 AM
At 1/8/2013 11:01:26 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Some one like you probably can & should skip the intro.
You'll probably be bored out of your mind.

Unfortunately that's more or less all my school offers, along with Intro to Logic.
:
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 6:12:35 AM
At 1/9/2013 6:02:13 AM, socialpinko wrote:

Unfortunately that's more or less all my school offers, along with Intro to Logic.

Assuming the end goal is a degree, I wouldn't worry about it. College is about learning how to navigate college. Assuming you don't end up in Medical School or switch to some sort of Engineering/Computer Engineering degree where there is on the job training built in, get through college and look as good as you can doing so, so that it won't have been wasted and you can use it to get your 1st job (which is about all it's good for), and then when you want to learn something, go find it and learn it.

I know a whole lot of nothing about your topics of interest, but I know about the periphery, and I'd say you got things on lock-down.

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, have tenure at a prestigious university.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 7:39:46 PM
Have you ever read any of Gary Francione's work.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 8:33:24 PM
At 1/9/2013 7:39:46 PM, vbaculum wrote:

No. He seems interesting but I don't see anything other than animal rights stuff.
:
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2013 9:57:25 PM
At 1/9/2013 8:33:24 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/9/2013 7:39:46 PM, vbaculum wrote:

No. He seems interesting but I don't see anything other than animal rights stuff.

Yeah pretty much. He has some novel ideas that are worth being acquainted with, though. He's also very detailed in his analysis of Western philosophers on animal ethics like Lock, Kant and Bentham.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 3:25:36 AM

The Fool: Holy Sh!t Your are Literally just Starting off. WOW.

I know there was a certain point in my studying that I looked back at things I have read many years before, and they all of a sudden seem foreign, as if they completely changed since I read them. And so I read everything again. I figured out that it was simply because I had not yet developed the conceptual apparatus to grasps richness of information in each works. It is one of those things that I can only say Listen to me now but believe me later On. It sucks because its hard to break away and say "Okay I am never reading that again." And then not to far in the future I am Reading it again.

You may understand this if you have had the experience of learning the meaning of a new word and then suddenly it seems that its more popular and that everybody is now using it. (It must be an old word )

Well the reason why it seems that way. Is because now that you have learned the conception, Your mind is now sensitive to it. I was always their before when but your mind didn't have to conceptualization to sense it. Even when you read especially reading fast, you are skipping a lot more then you think. In the very same way So many things are right in front of our face. But we are not all ready to grasp it.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL