Total Posts:156|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is pornography immoral?

madamouiselle
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 2:28:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

PORNstar. She's not the star, her body is.

Porn emphasizes the externals of women, which takes the focus off the internals, which matter.

So porn doesn't glorify women, it just glorifies their body.

Unless you think that all a woman is, is her body.
In which case you'd be right about porn glorifying women.
But some people think a woman is more than her body, & porn deemphasizes that.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 8:06:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

[Celtic translation]....but what is more empowering to women than being sacrificed on an altar as a symbol of God? You're calling the woman GOD, fer crissakes.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Maybe there has been some science done that determines whether there is a correlation between porn viewing and a degradation of feminin worth.

It might also be said that some porn glorifies female sexuality; not just the female body - and therefore a distiction should be drawn between the two types.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 11:30:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Maybe there has been some science done that determines whether there is a correlation between porn viewing and a degradation of feminin worth.

It might also be said that some porn glorifies female sexuality; not just the female body - and therefore a distiction should be drawn between the two types.

I'd say you have a point, except that the vast majority of porn is made for men, and it tend to glorify a fantasy version of male sexuality at the expense of women. Not all, but most of the time the role the woman plays isn't about her sexuality, it's about the man's sexuality projected onto the woman, and the woman's role is more degraded than glorified.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 4:16:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Wendy McElroy actually wrote a good book on porn from a "pro-sex" feminists perspective. She undertook to defend it as not "degrading" women, on balance, in any coercive manner (utilizing interviews with various pornstars, directors, industry insiders, etc.). She also looked at it a bit more philosophically, focusing a good critical portion on both liberal feminism (in particular, support of censorship measures) and more radical feminist perspectives. The book was called "XXX: A Woman's Right to Pornography". It's actually available online: (http://www.wendymcelroy.com...)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 4:52:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Fool: Hell No, Feminist are Ideologists. And Ideology is Bad Mmmkay. Gender is not a property of someone or something, but an Idea in the speaker who says they word gender. and irrational one at that. For I am a woman in this sentence. And a Man, in this one. Why, Because there is not criteria, Its not of Sex, nor of parts, but a wishy washy, whenever convenient expression.

But FIRST and foremost I am an individual. Who will not be forced to represent any IDEOLOGICAL label of any such I KNOW NOT WHAT laying virus in the minds of maniacs.

The Fool says "Fvck all Ideologisms"

<(XO)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 4:58:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Well, porn is not especially degrading because of its sexual dimension, as sex is of course and most certainly not a "dirty" aspect of being a physical being that somehow debases us. However, to reduce sex from an expression of joy and love and life and creativity into a sensationalistic form of entertainment driven by crassly capitalist economic incentives, which promotes shallow attitudes toward sexuality and physicality and life in general, and to reduce the humanity and worth of women to the value attributed to them as mere sex objects, this is truly and vulgarly and condemnably materialistic and immoral. Well, at any rate, these are a few of my thoughts.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2013 6:07:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Maybe there has been some science done that determines whether there is a correlation between porn viewing and a degradation of feminin worth.

It might also be said that some porn glorifies female sexuality; not just the female body - and therefore a distiction should be drawn between the two types.

I see the interaction of porn and men's perception of women to be similar to the interaction of violent video games and men's perception of gun violence.

Both cases lead to fantasizing of actions without consequence, desensitatization, and dangerous idealization (i.e. "I wouldn't get shot if I went against an army/a woman wouldn't mind being tied up").
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 12:01:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 6:07:40 PM, Wnope wrote:

I see the interaction of porn and men's perception of women to be similar to the interaction of violent video games and men's perception of gun violence.

The Fool: Well you vision doesn't seem to well.

I think you mean CHILDREN'S PERCEPTION OF Violence from Video games. You should Remember from The mandatory Research and ethics class in any Bachelor of science degree. Mister Google!

Porn is for adults, Who usually already engage in sex!!
Those less Opportunistic of such practices, will always be a estranged of such things.

Wnope: Both cases lead to fantasizing of actions without consequence, desensitatization, and dangerous idealization.(WTF)

The Fool: Okay so you are not much of a rationalist. Which one Leads to that again?? LOL

Fanaticizing of sex. Oh my!! The Consequence of organisms our quite Sad for those who can have them with others. CENSOR IT!!

I could see it now U.S. and the Feminists including Wnope declare the WAR ON PORN. It ought to be better than the other wars, including the war on Drugs. Tax dollars spend @ its best. To sky rocket the porn market.

Why sensor speech when we can censor Their minds. We can Brain wash Ideology into them as Boys. So they all things like wnope. If they ever build the power to Free themselves from the Evil Mental Slavery of these Ideologies viruses. We will can tell them that we freed them again, But they just didn't know it. AGAIN!
IF they ever learn that they are themselves. Then even more Negatio's on the Rightso's.
"No Rights for you." Next!

Wnope: this causal Inference I learned is also Directly related with those who say "I wouldn't get shot if I went against an army." Moreover I also make this inference to account for those who may think "a woman wouldn't mind being tied up" And I base this of my very shitty education system. And No sex experience with woman to know any better.

The Fool: Which reminds me. Kids, Be a winner, Not a Wnope.

For the W stand for woman, and the "other" is the response he gets from them everytime he tries.

The Fool: @ monkey AKA. Shut your ignorant Monkey Typewriting Azz up.
(I mean Azz as in Donkey)

Here it sounds better, In sound.

http://youtu.be...
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 3:29:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 4:58:05 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

Well, porn is not especially degrading because of its sexual dimension, as sex is of course and most certainly not a "dirty" aspect of being a physical being that somehow debases us. However, to reduce sex from an expression of joy and love and life and creativity into a sensationalistic form of entertainment driven by crassly capitalist economic incentives, which promotes shallow attitudes toward sexuality and physicality and life in general, and to reduce the humanity and worth of women to the value attributed to them as mere sex objects, this is truly and vulgarly and condemnably materialistic and immoral. Well, at any rate, these are a few of my thoughts.

The Fool: Isms. Schisms magisms and magicians. and Monkey poop!.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 4:05:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I agree, some of the things these actresses/actors do in these porn movies, is just a work of art. Dam skillful fvckers(lol) they are.

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Occasionally? Stop being so modest now haha.

But yeah, i dont see why people draw this conclusion. Porn is awesome, just sayin, fapping is much easier with visual aids. But watching porn hasnt changed my baseline view of women. Which is that they're just like any other person, and should be treated as one wants to be treated themselves(the golden rule)

And cause i need to say it again, porn is awesome, yeah, cookies.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 4:25:01 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 6:07:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Maybe there has been some science done that determines whether there is a correlation between porn viewing and a degradation of feminin worth.

It might also be said that some porn glorifies female sexuality; not just the female body - and therefore a distiction should be drawn between the two types.

I see the interaction of porn and men's perception of women to be similar to the interaction of violent video games and men's perception of gun violence.

Both cases lead to fantasizing of actions without consequence, desensitatization, and dangerous idealization (i.e. "I wouldn't get shot if I went against an army/a woman wouldn't mind being tied up").

You could also say that about anything even REMOTELY fictional. Is Blues Clues going to make our children think that salt and pepper shakers can talk? You have to draw a line between what the media itself causes and what the person who watches it has going on in his head beforehand. If someone plays a game and shoots up a mall, you better bet that there are SERIOUS issues with his brain. Stop looking for scapegoats.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 4:30:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Saying pornography is degrading because it focuses purely on sexuality is the equivalent of saying that televised tennis is degrading because it focuses on the strategies and the sport itself.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 4:45:21 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 4:25:01 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/10/2013 6:07:40 PM, Wnope wrote:

Both cases lead to fantasizing of actions without consequence, desensitatization, and dangerous idealization (i.e. "I wouldn't get shot if I went against an army/a woman wouldn't mind being tied up").

Ermmmm, most(rough estimate 90%) of women i've dated and slept with, actually do enjoy getting "tied up." It has to do with the thrill of completely surrendering oneself to another person and relinquishing all control in said situation. You are, for lack of a better way of putting it, completely at the mercy of your partner. For some(NOT ALL of course) women its actually extremely pleasurable and a huge-turn on. Try it with your gf/wife(if you have one) and havent tried it. Its...yeah...awesome

Frack, my most recent ex tied me up and blindfolded me a few times and i actually liked it too. Really heigtened the senses, rather than being about a combination of sight/touch, it left everything up to just touch, what i could feel. Hrmmm, i think im gonna stop now cause, yeah, i dont think i need to explain why

You could also say that about anything even REMOTELY fictional. Is Blues Clues going to make our children think that salt and pepper shakers can talk? You have to draw a line between what the media itself causes and what the person who watches it has going on in his head beforehand. If someone plays a game and shoots up a mall, you better bet that there are SERIOUS issues with his brain. Stop looking for scapegoats.

Lols, you Bossy, just got sig'd(the bold)
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 8:42:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I don't think porn is immoral. But I guess it depends on your own beliefs. I do think some of it is however. For example: when the woman look like little girls.Its horrible for people. Even if it isn't immoral we would literally be better off without it. Not saying I am not guilty tho...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 8:57:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 8:42:03 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I don't think porn is immoral. But I guess it depends on your own beliefs. I do think some of it is however. For example: when the woman look like little girls.Its horrible for people. Even if it isn't immoral we would literally be better off without it. Not saying I am not guilty tho...

How's that immoral? Some men are attracted to really young looking women. It's not as if that by itself constitutes pedophilia as I'm sure most men will tell you there's a difference.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:16:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I saw my first porn too early, and it shaped my attitude toward sex until I was able to realize that people don't f*ck like pornstars in real life.

I suppose on some level, I was lucky, because I probably had sex too early the 1st time, so I got over it by the time I was probably emotionally ready for sex, anyway (and wish I would have waited until to have it).

That was a simpler time in porn, though (mid-late 80s). Now?

When the dude in the scene isn't tryin' to f*ck the chick's epiglottis, it's only because he's pulled out of her mouth to drop a load all over her face.

That is start to finish degrading, and when someone like me, who is exposed to it before they can understand this, is lead to believe that's just what sex is, women get hurt, either emotionally or physically.

I've seen a movement for women friendly porn lately, and I think this trend is good, because just sex on screen isn't, in and of itself, immoral, but when production houses are trying to outdo themselves with who can more extremely and violently degrade the women in their movies (unless it's a S&M deal and there is some sort of mutual humiliation...that's just different strokes, no pun intended), I don't know how you can say it's not immoral.

Is porn immoral? Some of it is, maybe even a lot of it is. Probably not all of it is, though.

(I'm male - btw)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:40:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It's less that porn is inherently degrading, and more that popular porn often depicts men or groups of men physically abusing women, tying them up and beating them, restricting their breathing, even in some cases raping women although hopefully it's just acting. And no, I'm not talking about shady sites that only freaks go on to, I'm talking about the frontpages of the most popular porn sites. I watch porn, but I'm sickened by some of the sh*t I see on those sites sometimes.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:49:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
How's that immoral? Some men are attracted to really young looking women. It's not as if that by itself constitutes pedophilia as I'm sure most men will tell you there's a difference.

Well porn is powerfull. Its influential and thats proven. And it isn't that they look young, they have woman who look like little girls. I'm sure we've all seen em. That even promote it that way. I think its immoral because of what it influences. Everyman is responsible for his own actions but I still think to even put that idea out there is immoral.
tBoonePickens
Posts: 3,266
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 9:50:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 9:40:17 AM, Kinesis wrote:
It's less that porn is inherently degrading, and more that popular porn often depicts men or groups of men physically abusing women, tying them up and beating them, restricting their breathing, even in some cases raping women although hopefully it's just acting. And no, I'm not talking about shady sites that only freaks go on to, I'm talking about the frontpages of the most popular porn sites. I watch porn, but I'm sickened by some of the sh*t I see on those sites sometimes.

Damn, I dunno the crap you guys are watching but that's some sick sh|t !

I don't like anything with more than 1 guy; however, the number of women is optional and it starts getting boring when it's 3 or more women.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 10:06:35 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 4:25:01 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 1/10/2013 6:07:40 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/10/2013 9:56:50 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 1/10/2013 12:22:55 AM, madamouiselle wrote:
This is a question many feminists say clearly 'yes' because it "degrades" men's views on women in general.

What I have noticed is that what porn actually does is glorify women... Or maybe I'm just hallucinating when I see the term pornSTAR...

Porn is not really so different to singing, it's an art in its own right. A popstar and a pornstar are both experts in an art form, they just differ in the genre they do.

Thoughts on this anyone?

I look at porn occasionally and my view of women doesn't seem to have been degraded.

Maybe there has been some science done that determines whether there is a correlation between porn viewing and a degradation of feminin worth.

It might also be said that some porn glorifies female sexuality; not just the female body - and therefore a distiction should be drawn between the two types.

I see the interaction of porn and men's perception of women to be similar to the interaction of violent video games and men's perception of gun violence.

Both cases lead to fantasizing of actions without consequence, desensitatization, and dangerous idealization (i.e. "I wouldn't get shot if I went against an army/a woman wouldn't mind being tied up").

You could also say that about anything even REMOTELY fictional. Is Blues Clues going to make our children think that salt and pepper shakers can talk? You have to draw a line between what the media itself causes and what the person who watches it has going on in his head beforehand. If someone plays a game and shoots up a mall, you better bet that there are SERIOUS issues with his brain. Stop looking for scapegoats.

I'm not saying porn or violent videogames cause someone to go do something.

But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 10:25:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware.

Good point. There is already a relationship between porn and divorce. Do you think there is one between porn and sex crimes?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 11:00:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 10:25:36 AM, Df0512 wrote:
But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware.

Good point. There is already a relationship between porn and divorce. Do you think there is one between porn and sex crimes?

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be as simple as "porn addiction causes sex crime" or even "sex crime causes porn addiction." It would act more as a contributing and enabling factor.
malcolmxy
Posts: 2,855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 12:06:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 11:00:23 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/11/2013 10:25:36 AM, Df0512 wrote:
But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware.

Good point. There is already a relationship between porn and divorce. Do you think there is one between porn and sex crimes?

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be as simple as "porn addiction causes sex crime" or even "sex crime causes porn addiction." It would act more as a contributing and enabling factor.

Actually, it is that simple. It's just exactly the opposite of what you've assumed.

As it turns out, porn addiction REDUCES sex crimes.

http://www.slate.com...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 1:04:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 12:06:31 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 1/11/2013 11:00:23 AM, Wnope wrote:
At 1/11/2013 10:25:36 AM, Df0512 wrote:
But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware.

Good point. There is already a relationship between porn and divorce. Do you think there is one between porn and sex crimes?

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be as simple as "porn addiction causes sex crime" or even "sex crime causes porn addiction." It would act more as a contributing and enabling factor.

Actually, it is that simple. It's just exactly the opposite of what you've assumed.

As it turns out, porn addiction REDUCES sex crimes.

http://www.slate.com...

The article states that internet access has been shown to reduce rape. Not porn addiction. And that makes sense.
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 1:07:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware."
Are you saying that the second group won't be surprised to open their pantry and have the various seasonings sing to them? There is a line between fiction and reality, and most people can see it.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 1:10:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 9:40:17 AM, Kinesis wrote:
It's less that porn is inherently degrading, and more that popular porn often depicts men or groups of men physically abusing women, tying them up and beating them, restricting their breathing, even in some cases raping women although hopefully it's just acting. And no, I'm not talking about shady sites that only freaks go on to, I'm talking about the frontpages of the most popular porn sites. I watch porn, but I'm sickened by some of the sh*t I see on those sites sometimes.

If the woman is willing to do it, I don't see a problem.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 1:11:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/11/2013 1:07:01 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
"But I am saying that continued exposure to a stimuli leads to desensitization. If you took a group of children who never saw anthromorphized kitchenware and a group continuously exposed to talking salt shakers, the first group would be more surprised/sensitive to exposure to anthromorphized kitchenware."
Are you saying that the second group won't be surprised to open their pantry and have the various seasonings sing to them? There is a line between fiction and reality, and most people can see it.

I mean, do the people in group B think that the salt and pepper shakers can talk in real life or in the context of their fictional world?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2013 2:03:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
.....Is it immoral for me to eat a pulled pork sandwich in a Mosque?

.....Is it immoral for a Porn Star to become a politician?

.....Is it immoral to have an orgasm without first telling your partner that you're about to shizam?

.....Is it immoral to buy a six pack of beer and sit down directly across from a panhandling homeless man, and drink it all without sharing? (While maintaining intense eye-contact <---extra credit question)
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)