Jump to topic:

Physical and Non-physical.

Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 5:44:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was about to write that; "there is nothing that can fill us up in the physical world, like the un-physical can". Or something like that.
But then the thought that, we must have a physical thing in order to gather the un-physical, came to mind.
So can the un-physical exists without the physical? It almost feels like the un-physical, in this case feelings, are like a reflection of what we see in something physical.
So could any connection that triggers our physical body to feel so many wonderful and terrible feelings ever exist without any physical matter?

I guess one could say that the trigger of some feelings could be gather by non-physical qualities containing in a physical being, but still, those qualities would have been obtained by that physical being interaction with other physical things.
So if you were to love someone, you could say you love what someone has gathered from the world.

I get that un-physical is not very well defined, so I hope you understand what I mean.

Like always, just thoughts that haven't completely sink in, so I wonder what others would have to say. Thank you!
Cometflash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 10:53:06 PM
At 1/14/2013 9:31:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What, exactly, is a non-physical thing?

I knew that question was going to be asked, just didn't expected to be right away. I search what non-physical was even before creating this thread, and I found that non-physical is not very well defined, of why I ended the way I did.

I will try my best here, and say non-physical would be things that you obtain from interactions with physical things; like a reflection, sound, feelings.

I'm just trying to think and explain, maybe there are things in this equation I don't know, and therefore I'm giving in the wrong conclusion. With sounds for example. Does one really truly measure sound, of do they just measure the waves. I just remember the thread about colors that I brought up, and maybe sound transmits the same solution as visualizing colors. I mean the waves vibration are translated to us as a sound, kind of the same way light waves transmit to us colors.

I'm just getting all this out of head, just trying to make sense of everything as I absorb things that comes to mind. I never study anything related, but I sometimes feel is better to learn within me, than to take what others have already observe.
I spend years in school doing just that, taking things that were "discovered" by others and taking as it, just to wake up "one" day and discover I have a "billion" questions about everything I was ever taught. So what good is anything I learn if there is holes everywhere (is hard to expect to learn something completely thought), plus all I did was take in things. So I was much of everything I taught, and very little of myself.

Ok now I'm rumbling and sleepy.

I'll read whatever anyone have to say later, and maybe revise tomorrow...

Sorry if I sound crazy. :|
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 1:47:00 PM
At 1/14/2013 5:44:07 PM, Cometflash wrote:
I was about to write that; "there is nothing that can fill us up in the physical world, like the un-physical can". Or something like that.
Well it's a good thing you didn't do that then.

But then the thought that, we must have a physical thing in order to gather the un-physical, came to mind.
Un-physical? I presume you mean non-physical.

So can the un-physical exists without the physical?
No.

It almost feels like the un-physical, in this case feelings, are like a reflection of what we see in something physical.
Well, reflections are physical (ie mirror, etc.) but I presume you mean that feelings might originate from physical interactions. This is true, but not the only reason why the non-physical cannot exist without the physical. The reason is that you need a brain in order to have "feelings/emotions"; and by brain I mean a working central nervous system which may or may not include a "fancy-shmancy" brain.

So could any connection that triggers our physical body to feel so many wonderful and terrible feelings ever exist without any physical matter?
Look at your question above and see if you can realize that it boils down to asking: "could our physical body feel without any physical matter"? Do you see the absurdity? Our bodies ARE physical matter!

I guess one could say that the trigger of some feelings could be gather by non-physical qualities containing in a physical being, but still, those qualities would have been obtained by that physical being interaction with other physical things.
All of these are physical processes in the brain.

So if you were to love someone, you could say you love what someone has gathered from the world.
Which equates to "you love someone for who they are." I think that's noble.

I get that un-physical is not very well defined, so I hope you understand what I mean.
Well, they always try to define it but end up using SO MANY physical words!

Like always, just thoughts that haven't completely sink in, so I wonder what others would have to say. Thank you!
You're welcome!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 2:58:18 PM
At 1/14/2013 10:53:06 PM, Cometflash wrote:
At 1/14/2013 9:31:43 PM, FREEDO wrote:
What, exactly, is a non-physical thing?

I knew that question was going to be asked, just didn't expected to be right away. I search what non-physical was even before creating this thread, and I found that non-physical is not very well defined, of why I ended the way I did.

I will try my best here, and say non-physical would be things that you obtain from interactions with physical things; like a reflection, sound, feelings.

So anything deriving from consciousness then?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord