Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

can you prove otherwise?

natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 6:02:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:29:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.

Sidewalker, you disintegrated when natoast went to sleep, then were recreated with memories of an undisturbed existence when natoast woke up.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 1:17:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 7:29:07 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.


Sidewalker, you disintegrated when natoast went to sleep, then were recreated with memories of an undisturbed existence when natoast woke up.

No no no! YOU disintegrated when you went to sleep, then were recreated with memories of Sidewalker disintegrating and being recreated with memories of existence.

I know because I stayed up all night to see. I kept my eye on you the whole time. Is that weird? You know what, I don't care. If it bothers you then turn off the light in your bedroom when you go to sleep, or put down the blinds.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:28:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Being watching dark city have we ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
LatentDebater
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:37:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The burden of proof is on you.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:23:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The Fool: Yes,
1. Its an argument from Ignorance.
If you were sleeping, well, you were sleeping. nothing else follows.

2. If you were sleeping, and the world was destroyed, then so were you. So you weren't sleeping because you didn't exist.

3. Even if you were re-created its not you just a clone or look a like, you were destroyed.
Q.E.D.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:25:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 2:37:05 AM, LatentDebater wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The burden of proof is on you.

The Fool: The Burden of Proof LOL!! Its not a Court of LAW. Its not a rule of nature. LOL
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:27:46 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.

The Fool: That was pretty good, actually.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 8:38:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:55:07 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Yes, I stayed up all night to see, I kept my eye on it the whole time and it wasn't destroyed.

Like bladerunner said, you could have been destroyed and recreated with memories of it. And I suppose I should clarify. Is there any difference, from the sleeping persons perspective, from the two? That's not actually what I had in mind when I wrote it, but that's what I have in mind now.
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 8:40:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 4:23:46 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The Fool: Yes,
1. Its an argument from Ignorance.
If you were sleeping, well, you were sleeping. nothing else follows.

2. If you were sleeping, and the world was destroyed, then so were you. So you weren't sleeping because you didn't exist.

3. Even if you were re-created its not you just a clone or look a like, you were destroyed.
Q.E.D.

I know these things, I'm saying that the universe is destroyed when I fall asleep, I am destroyed, then a new universe is created eight hours in the future with exact copies of everything, and artificial memories. I don't believe it of course, but can you prove otherwise?
LatentDebater
Posts: 136
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 12:47:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 4:25:11 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 1/26/2013 2:37:05 AM, LatentDebater wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The burden of proof is on you.

The Fool: The Burden of Proof LOL!! Its not a Court of LAW. Its not a rule of nature. LOL

Stop acting like a little kid.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:55:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Who are you asking to "prove" something to you?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 2:56:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

There are many different models of reality that all work and can't be refuted. For example, we could just say life only began one minute ago but we just began to exist with memories implanted in our brain and so it seems we've existed for a long time. It can't be refuted and neither can your model. Scientists aren't namely interesting on what theories can explain reality but on good theories that explain reality. But what's the point of considering your theory as a good one?

Stephen Hawking notes that scientists generally determine a good model based upon four different criteria.

1. It is elegant.
2. It contains few arbitrary or adjustable elements.
3. It agrees with and explains all existing observations.
4. It makes detailed predictions about future observations that can disprove or falsify the model if they are not borne out.

In terms of elegance, Hawking paraphrases Einstein saying "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." This is basically Occam's razor. Your theory explains reality but there are much more simpler agreeable theories that also explain it. Quantum physics is considered a good theory because it's the most tested theory in science but has withstood all the tests, as well as pertaining to the above mentioned criteria. It can also make predictions about reality that hold true whereas your theory does not predict much and is not really falsifiable. Ergo, it can't be tested.

Your theory is possible and explains reality but no scientists would term it as a good theory
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 3:46:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 2:56:05 PM, phantom wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

There are many different models of reality that all work and can't be refuted. For example, we could just say life only began one minute ago but we just began to exist with memories implanted in our brain and so it seems we've existed for a long time. It can't be refuted and neither can your model. Scientists aren't namely interesting on what theories can explain reality but on good theories that explain reality. But what's the point of considering your theory as a good one?

Stephen Hawking notes that scientists generally determine a good model based upon four different criteria.

1. It is elegant.
2. It contains few arbitrary or adjustable elements.
3. It agrees with and explains all existing observations.
4. It makes detailed predictions about future observations that can disprove or falsify the model if they are not borne out.

In terms of elegance, Hawking paraphrases Einstein saying "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." This is basically Occam's razor. Your theory explains reality but there are much more simpler agreeable theories that also explain it. Quantum physics is considered a good theory because it's the most tested theory in science but has withstood all the tests, as well as pertaining to the above mentioned criteria. It can also make predictions about reality that hold true whereas your theory does not predict much and is not really falsifiable. Ergo, it can't be tested.

Your theory is possible and explains reality but no scientists would term it as a good theory

No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.

It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 8:33:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.

Don't confuse "Possible" with "Probable". Would you say the situation in the Matrix is "impossible", or "improbable"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 9:16:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 8:33:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.

Don't confuse "Possible" with "Probable". Would you say the situation in the Matrix is "impossible", or "improbable"?

Name one thing that is impossible.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 9:18:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

Ugh, this can't happen, this is imaginary, why should I play a mind game regarding something imaginary?! BAH! BOO! This is garbage! You can't determine what happens to the universe! ARGH!
Franz_Reynard
Posts: 1,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 9:19:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 9:16:22 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 8:33:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.

Don't confuse "Possible" with "Probable". Would you say the situation in the Matrix is "impossible", or "improbable"?

Name one thing that is impossible.

Immortality.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 9:57:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.

By "possible" what exactly do you mean? We can say things are logically impossible such as for 2 to equal 3. But we could still say it's epistemologicaly possible that 2 is equal to 3. So there's a difference in meaning. Things can be impossible in one sense but possible in another. If you're referring to the logically impossible, please show what is logically impossible about it instead of refraining from making any argument. If you're referring to epistemological impossibility then I have to ask why you believe those types of impossibilities exist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 11:44:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 4:25:11 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 1/26/2013 2:37:05 AM, LatentDebater wrote:
At 1/25/2013 5:02:15 PM, natoast wrote:
Every time I go to sleep the universe is destroyed, and it is re-created with slight modifications when I wake up.

CAN YOU PROVE OTHERWISE?

The burden of proof is on you.

The Fool: The Burden of Proof LOL!! Its not a Court of LAW. Its not a rule of nature. LOL

It is, however, a rule of philsophical discourse.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 11:46:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 1/26/2013 9:16:22 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 8:33:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 1/26/2013 8:28:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 1/26/2013 4:32:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
No, it's not possible. To claim it is would make the word meaningless.


It is 100% possible. Just as it's 100% possible that everyone and everything around me is ACTUALLY a highly sophisticated hologram that I can't differentiate from reality.

There's a nigh-infinite number of unfalsifiable claims I can make, which is why we generally assume the "null" or simplest explanation available to us, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

With that logic, anything and everything is possible, and the words 'possible' and 'impossible' are robbed of all meaning.

Don't confuse "Possible" with "Probable". Would you say the situation in the Matrix is "impossible", or "improbable"?

Name one thing that is impossible.

Square circles, 2+2=5 (or inconsistent propositions), a valid argument where both the conclusion and the negation is correct, etc.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...