Jump to topic:

Why Dogma?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 2:04:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh, look. It's the 1,000th thread in Philosophy. And I'm fairly high to boot. I thought, no better occasion than this to have one of those riveting FREEDO philosophy threads.

I was going to start with with a definition of dogma and then say
"Ignore, for a moment, the debilitating irony of starting off by defining dogma.
Instead, just me riddle this."
But, after googling, I do find the definitions to be too pathetic to post afterall.
Besides that, my next evocation remains the same.

What is your degree of dogma? Do you think this level of dogma or version of dogma is important for having an accurate understanding of the universe? And, if so, what is it about your particular breed of dogma that makes it so special?

Also.

What is an a priori? Are they needed? What ones do you know? Do they imply further dogma? How can you prove them? What really constitutes proof? What really constitutes certainty? What constitutes a standard of understanding proper for communicating such ideas? Do you think such ideas are inherently affected by the language you use in your own mind? Why or why not?

You think you know this world. You think you're in control and you have a plan. I grab you by the shirt cuff of your mind and demand your justification. Not for the sake of the argument. I challenge who you believe you are as a person. Put all you know on the line and choose to stand and fight for it or give-up to the devastating force of uncertainty.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LatentDebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2013 10:35:07 AM
I support dogma because if you claim nothing to be incontrovertibly true then you are asserting this fact as incontrovertibly true. If you are not asserting this fact as incontrovertibly true then it is can be controversial and thus could be incorrect. Meaning to make the statement is to assert the statement's uncertainty of being true and in itself ruins any passion or belief one could ever have in it to a level other than weak belief.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

People who think they know everything are extremely irritating to those of us who do.

"If you believe in a god, just tell me why you don't believe in all the other gods. The reasons you give will be why I don't believe in yours." - Ricky THEGENIUS Gervais
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2013 6:00:51 PM
At 1/29/2013 10:35:07 AM, LatentDebater wrote:
I support dogma because if you claim nothing to be incontrovertibly true then you are asserting this fact as incontrovertibly true. If you are not asserting this fact as incontrovertibly true then it is can be controversial and thus could be incorrect. Meaning to make the statement is to assert the statement's uncertainty of being true and in itself ruins any passion or belief one could ever have in it to a level other than weak belief.

Not quite. If you make the assertion that truth and falsity have no objective meaning, then you can not judge the assertion by normal true/false standards.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord