~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 7:49:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/7/2013 7:19:48 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Yeah, this probably should have gone in politics...

Almost all of politics is philosophy.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
IncredulousVessel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 11:33:48 AM
First error is using libertarian instead of liberal.

Second error is saying it's okay for a man to masturbate in a child's face outside (it's only okay in a church...)
"Most people put a witty, intelligent or humorous quote here."

"Most people will die."
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 1:12:24 PM
At 2/7/2013 11:33:48 AM, IncredulousVessel wrote:
First error is using libertarian instead of liberal.

Second error is saying it's okay for a man to masturbate in a child's face outside (it's only okay in a church...)

Using 'libertarian' is entirely proper. I don't know how long you've been around, but the libertarians on this site are pretty serious about it/border on anarchism. The liberals on this site aren't quite as fundamentalist.

I think it should be obvious that I never said or even indicated the latter.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 4:54:19 PM
Anyone want to explain the first rule of political philosophy (which really only applies to Americans) that Republicans are more orthodox liberals than democrats?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2013 10:14:11 PM
I think one skips a few steps in calling nudity "indecency". There are a number of cultures, externally, and subcultures, internally, which are not ashamed of, disgusted by, or horrified at the human form. Generic Western history is even full of examples of well-respected displays of nudity--paintings, sculptures, engravings--and contemporary examples, like the German Freibodykultur, or the lack of a prohibition against animal nudity, show the lasting influence of some level of indifference toward the nude form per se. I am more worried about belief in the vulgar shamefulness of nudity (or, put differently, the fundamental human dignity, particularly as distinguished from the vulgarity of nature and animal life, associated with covering oneself), particularly given how tightly it grips us (as anyone who has experienced the feeling of being unexpectedly nude before a group of peers could tell you).
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:19:26 AM
At 2/7/2013 10:14:11 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I think one skips a few steps in calling nudity "indecency". There are a number of cultures, externally, and subcultures, internally, which are not ashamed of, disgusted by, or horrified at the human form. Generic Western history is even full of examples of well-respected displays of nudity--paintings, sculptures, engravings--and contemporary examples, like the German Freibodykultur, or the lack of a prohibition against animal nudity, show the lasting influence of some level of indifference toward the nude form per se. I am more worried about belief in the vulgar shamefulness of nudity (or, put differently, the fundamental human dignity, particularly as distinguished from the vulgarity of nature and animal life, associated with covering oneself), particularly given how tightly it grips us (as anyone who has experienced the feeling of being unexpectedly nude before a group of peers could tell you).

What about intercourse outside?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:25:25 AM
At 2/8/2013 12:19:26 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

What about it?
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:35:08 AM
At 2/8/2013 12:25:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2013 12:19:26 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

What about it?

Are you okay with it? Or better, would you repeal anti-intercourse laws if you were in power?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 12:47:27 AM
At 2/8/2013 12:35:08 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 2/8/2013 12:25:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
What about it?

Are you okay with it? Or better, would you repeal anti-intercourse laws if you were in power?

I don't really mind it. I might feel a little impulsively weird about it (or not) if I came across it, either as an instinct or as a cultural artifact, but I get a similar-in-kind feeling from watching people macking on each other in public regardless. Or from seeing someone vomit after drinking too much. Or watching some guy spit dip into a cup for 45 minutes. When I was in elementary school, I also once saw a girl eat a long string of her own snot. But, even though I'm repulsed by all of those, I see no reason to remove them from public view.

I'm not even a proponent of the "look away if you don't want to see" view--I wonder instead why they react with indignation. We could easily conceive of a culture either indifferent toward or enamored of public sexuality; this raises the question of why one would be disgusted or outraged.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 1:28:45 AM
At 2/7/2013 1:30:22 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
What are people's feelings on these? Certainly public indecency doesn't violate NAP. Or do libertarians make an exception here?

While the term "indecency" is an unfortunate one that clearly harkens back to a puritanical and anti-joy form of morality that was more moralism than morality there are nonetheless certain behaviors that aren't appropriate in public and as long as society is still relying on laws and law enforcement to regulate behavior we may as well keep so-called public indecency laws on the books. Or would you be okay with your sister or young daughter having to walk by drawers-dropped-to-the-ground, openly masturbating individuals on the way to school? Oh well, I suppose that it would eliminate the need for sex ed classes and save a few tax dollars.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 4:29:38 PM
At 2/8/2013 1:42:21 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2013 1:28:45 AM, charleslb wrote:
there are nonetheless certain behaviors that aren't appropriate in public

Is that so?

Well, not intrinsically so, but a sufficient number of members of the public find it to be so, ergo one can say that it is so; and moreoever one can say that in an authentically democratic form of society the majority who wish to prevent the public expression of certain behaviors, provided they aren't infringing fundamental civil rights, should be able to enforce their admittedly subjective feeling that it's so.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 4:51:20 PM
On an side note: what's the "smiley face" next to this topic in the list indicate?

This topic has one; the bottom of the posts list shows only:

Lit Lightbulb: New Post(since last login)
Unlit Lightbulb: No New Posts(since last login)
Lit Match: Popular Topic(30+ posts)
Eye: Read Only Topic
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 5:51:48 PM
Didn't know there were any public indecency laws, If there are they are not being enforced. The vile people in the world walk the streets without a care in the world.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:42:12 PM
At 2/8/2013 4:29:38 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 2/8/2013 1:42:21 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2013 1:28:45 AM, charleslb wrote:
there are nonetheless certain behaviors that aren't appropriate in public

Is that so?

Well, not intrinsically so

Then the answer is no.

but a sufficient number of members of the public find it to be so, ergo one can say that it is so;

I certainly can't say that. But, I don't equate operative rules with a binding code of appropriate conduct.

and moreover one can say that in an authentically democratic form of society the majority who wish to prevent the public expression of certain behaviors, provided they aren't infringing fundamental civil rights, should be able to enforce their admittedly subjective feeling that it's so.

Why is that? And, why should the public think that nudity is indecent?
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:43:26 PM
So, let's say this thread were a conversation at a table.

And, we, all of us participating, were all sitting at this table.

And, I whipped my wang out and plopped it on the table.

Appropriate?
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:46:30 PM
At 2/8/2013 6:45:26 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/8/2013 6:43:26 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Appropriate?

Nope.

Indeed.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:47:31 PM
At 2/8/2013 6:46:30 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Appropriate?

Nope.

Indeed.

It's also not inappropriate. It just is a thing you're doing.
UniversalEmulator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:48:45 PM

Appropriate?

it all is relative to the opinion of the majority at the table.

Majority believe yes = orgie

Majority believes no = you're screwed
Franz_Reynard
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:49:27 PM
At 2/8/2013 6:47:31 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Appropriate?

Nope.

Indeed.

Naw. It's totally inappropriate. For cognitive animals like us, we shoudl only be taking out genitalia out for sex.

And, the rest of the time, making fashion statements.

*strike a pose*
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:51:20 PM
At 2/8/2013 6:49:27 PM, Franz_Reynard wrote:

Appropriate?

Nope.

Indeed.

Naw. It's totally inappropriate. For cognitive animals like us, we shoudl only be taking out genitalia out for sex.

And, the rest of the time, making fashion statements.

*strike a pose*

Maybe have another beer and think it over.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:57:34 PM

Appropriate?

You see, this is why we should think carefully before proposing DDO meetups.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 6:58:35 PM

Appropriate?

Nope.

Indeed.

How's deprogramming your vocabulary of ethically loaded terms going?