Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

An Ethic of DDO

YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:19:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is a conspicuous difference between ethics and morality. The former being a set of principles governing interaction accepted and commonly held among like agents unique to their role. Morality delineates right and wrong. While ideally morality informs ethical guideline, it can be said that at times the two are necessarily divergent where roles require actions that could be construed as ostensibly immoral.

The basis of any ethical code, however, must be grounded in principles informed by commonly held values. The question of value is urgent to the extent that conflicting visions measure the influence and test the limits of the willingness of others to accept actions which do not align with what they consider to be acceptable.

As members of DDO, we surely must have some common values. As a debate site, the expression of opinion and perspective is fundamental to our community. But in that same manor, as a community it follows that there must be limits within which it is appropriate to entertain argumentative clash both in forums and debates. This is to ensure that members not be unduly alienated by the encroachments of other members.

The question then arises of what constitutes an undue encroachment. While it may be difficult to distinguish retort from personal attack where the very nature of a given site is inherently confrontational, there are two kinds of relevant confrontation within this context: the first being that which is personally malicious, and the second being that which is not personally malicious.

Maliciousness is characterized by a volition, that is an intent, to cause harm, be it in reaction to some other perceived harm, or where it is unprovoked in nature. It is maliciousness which differentiates 'good' and 'bad' trolling. Good trolling need not harm the site, because no personal harm was meant -and if it occurs, the damage is easily forgiven and repaired. Bad trolling may, in contrast, be identified by an attack on people out of personal vendetta -whether on or off the site.

Perhaps the lowest form of trolling is that which occurs beyond the site, that which posits intentionally malicious attacks on other members, for any reason. This is the case because to post of DDO, outside of DDO, is to act at the expense of the community of DDO, without being subject to the rules of DDO. But if this is the case, where the willful attack of a member of DDO comes from outside the parameters of DDO, the attacking member places himself in a zone of ethical twilight. His conduct places himself at once in and out of the jurisdiction of the DDO president.

But the act of circumventing the rules of DDO, that is the creation of a blog outside of the rules of DDO, indicates itself a fundamental disrespect for the community of DDO, because doing so both rebukes the principles of the TOS without the immediacy of the consequences which necessarily follow from doing so. To circumvent the rules, then, in that way, is a higher insult to the purpose and intent of the Terms of Service because it directly indicates a member's unwillingness to respect those provisions, which are predicated upon establishing an order for member interaction.

The intentional avoidance of consequences, likewise, is both an act of cowardice and personal disgrace; cowardice for wishing to do as one pleases by systematically avoiding accountability for one's actions and personal disgrace for the implications to one's character that follow from the act itself.

It could not be said that such an act was moral, for both the intent was malicious and the consequences are destructive to the integrity of the DDO community. It could not be said that such an act was ethical, for the willful evasion of accountability itself is sufficient to indicate a desire to act beyond those parameters of behavior which is considered acceptable within the TOS.

But the TOS are merely the laws of DDO, they are not the arbiters of right and wrong. The TOS only proscribe the expectations of conduct on DDO, they do not indicate what sort of conduct on DDO is morally permissible. The question of morally permissible conduct on DDO presupposes DDO membership and accountability to the TOS, but even more indicates a personal responsibility by which we must measure ourselves.

As nearly anonymous actors, the fear of retribution or other consequence is hardly sufficient to necessitate morally upright conduct, because retribution itself in all but the most extreme cases does not breech the scope of the DDO community. The question, then, is what motive do we have to act in a way that is good? I suggest that we need no motive other than to BE good people -to treat others with respect and dignity, to be tolerant of those views which do not align with ours, to be patient with those who offend our sensibility, to be honorable in the way that we conduct ourselves as we interact with others in the forums and in debates.

To be a good person means to set a good example; that is to say that our actions establish norms that order the behavior of others and measure what is considered to be acceptable in popular opinion. That means that if others see us as people worthy of respect or adoration that we live up to our esteem. That means above all doing what is right by others even if they have done wrong by you.

Hoc est fundamentalis.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:18:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.

Indeed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.

Some day....
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope. Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life. I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated. That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see? Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly. But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement? Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

Disgraceful.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:33:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

If it defies logic and reason, how did you reason your way to see it to the emboldened conclusion?


Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I'm not. You are. Christian-Prodestant stated blatantly on your profile. Having spent two years on a Christian Studies major, I'm quite familiar with how you should identify yourself.


I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

Jesus Christ...all that ranting and you still don't get it. People with inferiority complexes don't boast to be the envy of others. It's a trait of Superiority complexes. Have you swallowed that many paint-chips, that you cannot self-correct?


That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

Ah, you're so deep. I just retaliate against passive aggresive moral dictators. I think you like the smell of your own sh*t a little too much and since you keep waving the stench my way...I opened a window.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see?

.......Yes. I'm a nervous wreck. You are f*cking terrifying.

Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly.

You should learn to change the channel. Gospel hour is in another thread.

But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement?

You're so focused on how a 31 year old should be acting. You should be more concerned with how to change your avatar. It's terrible.

Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

I didn't circumvent sh*t. Everything in that blog can be found right here. Also...why you readin' the blog fool? Are you the type of Bible thumper that watches an hour of porn, just so you can spend an hour complaining about the porn on your TV?

Disgraceful.

Define Grace.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 6:45:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.

What is this "fear of reprisal" you speak of? How do I know if someone is doing it to me?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:08:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 6:45:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.

What is this "fear of reprisal" you speak of? How do I know if someone is doing it to me?

Are you being maliciously targeted or harassed by another member of the forum? If so, that's how you know.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:18:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 6:45:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.

What is this "fear of reprisal" you speak of? How do I know if someone is doing it to me?

Well, "Prizal" is a war trophy, so re-prisal is a retarted war trophy....and if someone is trying to give you a retarded war trophy and you don't want one....then report it to YYW immediately.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:28:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 6:33:33 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

If it defies logic and reason, how did you reason your way to see it to the emboldened conclusion?



Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I'm not. You are. Christian-Prodestant stated blatantly on your profile. Having spent two years on a Christian Studies major, I'm quite familiar with how you should identify yourself.



I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

Jesus Christ...all that ranting and you still don't get it. People with inferiority complexes don't boast to be the envy of others. It's a trait of Superiority complexes. Have you swallowed that many paint-chips, that you cannot self-correct?


That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

Ah, you're so deep. I just retaliate against passive aggresive moral dictators. I think you like the smell of your own sh*t a little too much and since you keep waving the stench my way...I opened a window.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see?

.......Yes. I'm a nervous wreck. You are f*cking terrifying.

Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly.

You should learn to change the channel. Gospel hour is in another thread.

But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement?

You're so focused on how a 31 year old should be acting. You should be more concerned with how to change your avatar. It's terrible.

Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

I didn't circumvent sh*t. Everything in that blog can be found right here. Also...why you readin' the blog fool? Are you the type of Bible thumper that watches an hour of porn, just so you can spend an hour complaining about the porn on your TV?

Disgraceful.

Define Grace.

Try and dodge the point, portray me as a hypocrite, make libelous allegations, etc. to the end of time... it has all the meaning of your presence on the forums... nothing.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:33:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:28:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:33:33 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

If it defies logic and reason, how did you reason your way to see it to the emboldened conclusion?



Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I'm not. You are. Christian-Prodestant stated blatantly on your profile. Having spent two years on a Christian Studies major, I'm quite familiar with how you should identify yourself.



I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

Jesus Christ...all that ranting and you still don't get it. People with inferiority complexes don't boast to be the envy of others. It's a trait of Superiority complexes. Have you swallowed that many paint-chips, that you cannot self-correct?


That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

Ah, you're so deep. I just retaliate against passive aggresive moral dictators. I think you like the smell of your own sh*t a little too much and since you keep waving the stench my way...I opened a window.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see?

.......Yes. I'm a nervous wreck. You are f*cking terrifying.

Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly.

You should learn to change the channel. Gospel hour is in another thread.

But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement?

You're so focused on how a 31 year old should be acting. You should be more concerned with how to change your avatar. It's terrible.

Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

I didn't circumvent sh*t. Everything in that blog can be found right here. Also...why you readin' the blog fool? Are you the type of Bible thumper that watches an hour of porn, just so you can spend an hour complaining about the porn on your TV?

Disgraceful.

Define Grace.

Try and dodge the point, portray me as a hypocrite, make libelous allegations, etc. to the end of time... it has all the meaning of your presence on the forums... nothing.

Oh, come on YYW. If not for me...who would you talk to in this forum? Isn't the sheer absence of people enough evidence for you? You're the only one who gives a sh*t about this....sh*t.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:35:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"Oh, come on YYW. If not for me...who would you talk to in this forum? Isn't the sheer absence of people enough evidence for you? You're the only one who gives a sh*t about this....sh*t."
I really hate you right now.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 7:38:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:33:11 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:28:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:33:33 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

If it defies logic and reason, how did you reason your way to see it to the emboldened conclusion?



Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I'm not. You are. Christian-Prodestant stated blatantly on your profile. Having spent two years on a Christian Studies major, I'm quite familiar with how you should identify yourself.



I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

Jesus Christ...all that ranting and you still don't get it. People with inferiority complexes don't boast to be the envy of others. It's a trait of Superiority complexes. Have you swallowed that many paint-chips, that you cannot self-correct?


That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

Ah, you're so deep. I just retaliate against passive aggresive moral dictators. I think you like the smell of your own sh*t a little too much and since you keep waving the stench my way...I opened a window.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see?

.......Yes. I'm a nervous wreck. You are f*cking terrifying.

Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly.

You should learn to change the channel. Gospel hour is in another thread.

But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement?

You're so focused on how a 31 year old should be acting. You should be more concerned with how to change your avatar. It's terrible.

Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

I didn't circumvent sh*t. Everything in that blog can be found right here. Also...why you readin' the blog fool? Are you the type of Bible thumper that watches an hour of porn, just so you can spend an hour complaining about the porn on your TV?

Disgraceful.

Define Grace.

Try and dodge the point, portray me as a hypocrite, make libelous allegations, etc. to the end of time... it has all the meaning of your presence on the forums... nothing.

Oh, come on YYW. If not for me...who would you talk to in this forum? Isn't the sheer absence of people enough evidence for you? You're the only one who gives a sh*t about this....sh*t.

This is not a Batman-Joker situation, Heineken.
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 8:08:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:38:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:33:11 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:28:38 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:33:33 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 5:56:56 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 1:00:00 PM, Heineken wrote:
At 2/13/2013 12:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 7:48:26 AM, Heineken wrote:
I hope one day we can all participate in the DDO community without attention envy driving a select few to turn molehills into mountains, just for the sake of drinking down the exposure they get by being critical of people who actually contribute.


Some day....

I suppose that a person who saw the world only in terms of attention and non attention might have that hope.

Ahw, YYW....are you calling me an attention wh*re.....after I called you an attention wh*re?
You Sir....you are clever.

How you get "attention whore" out of the quote emboldened defies logic and reason. It is interesting, though, that you think that is what I meant. We are so keen to point out in others those faults we know of ourselves. It's tragic irony, really.

If it defies logic and reason, how did you reason your way to see it to the emboldened conclusion?



Fortunately, the vast majority of us move past that stage in life once we finish primary school -but such is life.

That is incredibly wrong. Your entire existence is centered around being noticed. I thought you were a Christian. Aren't you supposed to concede the nature of your heart?

Tsk,tsk.

How bold of you to make proclamations about the entirety of my existence; how curious that you return to the rhetoric of attention seeking... or perhaps, how foretelling would be the more accurate way to describe that.

I'm not. You are. Christian-Prodestant stated blatantly on your profile. Having spent two years on a Christian Studies major, I'm quite familiar with how you should identify yourself.



I suppose further that it would be a cathartic exercise if, one who believed he was inferior, told himself that others were envious of him, that his own ego may be inflated.

Not many people with an inferiority complex tell themselves others are envious.

You know this because of your piercing insight into human nature? This is the same insight that lead you to assert that the entirety of my existence hinges on being noticed? Heineken... you disappoint me, but perhaps disappointing people is something you've grown accustomed to. Perhaps that's why you created the DDO elite to begin with. But to describe something as "elite" is not to make it so. Your actions are as transparent as your supposed "insight" is fallacious. Your measure of self-affirmation is as hollow as it is piddling. Your contributions to, indeed your very presence in this community is no more meaningful than a piss in the wind. It's quite sad, to say the very least. Even more sad is that you cannot see yourself the way others see you, because if you could, surely you'd reform. Granted, there are those who look up to you... sort of. They don't know any better, but you should. You're 31. You should have grown up by now.

Jesus Christ...all that ranting and you still don't get it. People with inferiority complexes don't boast to be the envy of others. It's a trait of Superiority complexes. Have you swallowed that many paint-chips, that you cannot self-correct?


That sort of self-prepeutated nonsense is nothing more than a hollow lie, devoid of meaning or value.

What....is......that? Perpetuated?

It's not a lie. This is the the like the fourth thread on this topic, all of which focus on how you are soooo above it all.
The best thing about attention seekers is that they are transparent.

You think this is about me. No. It's about you. You made it about yourself when you posted what you did on your blog... rather than post what you had to say on the open forums. Weak. Cowardly. Pathetic.

Ah, you're so deep. I just retaliate against passive aggresive moral dictators. I think you like the smell of your own sh*t a little too much and since you keep waving the stench my way...I opened a window.

...now relax. I've obviously graced your forum with the food ye seek. You're welcome, YYW.

What would make you think I wasn't relaxed? Are you nervous? Are you worried that I will make you look like a fool on the open forums, where everyone can see?

.......Yes. I'm a nervous wreck. You are f*cking terrifying.

Don't worry, that's not my goal -but I will call your actions what they are. Weak. Cowardly.

You should learn to change the channel. Gospel hour is in another thread.

But what more could be said of a 31 year old man who bullies and harasses kids much younger than him -not to mention me- on a forum for his own pathetic amusement?

You're so focused on how a 31 year old should be acting. You should be more concerned with how to change your avatar. It's terrible.

Worse yet, what more could be said about a man who created a blog to circumvent the consequences of member harassment within a community he claims to contribute to?

I didn't circumvent sh*t. Everything in that blog can be found right here. Also...why you readin' the blog fool? Are you the type of Bible thumper that watches an hour of porn, just so you can spend an hour complaining about the porn on your TV?

Disgraceful.

Define Grace.

Try and dodge the point, portray me as a hypocrite, make libelous allegations, etc. to the end of time... it has all the meaning of your presence on the forums... nothing.

Oh, come on YYW. If not for me...who would you talk to in this forum? Isn't the sheer absence of people enough evidence for you? You're the only one who gives a sh*t about this....sh*t.

This is not a Batman-Joker situation, Heineken.

I don't give you that much credit. I'm just doing to you, what you're doing to me. The problem is...I don't hide behind self-righteousness. You disguise your attacks as "moral obligation" and I'm gonna keep calling your BS until you learn to let it be...or until you get some thicker skin and stop taking everything so damn personal.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 8:38:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 8:11:51 PM, Wnope wrote:
This is perhaps the first example I've seen of a "DDO Policy Paper."

Well argued and cogent.

Many thanks, Wnope.
imabench
Posts: 21,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2013 9:16:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 5:19:03 PM, YYW wrote:
There is a conspicuous difference between ethics and morality. The former being a set of principles governing interaction accepted and commonly held among like agents unique to their role. Morality delineates right and wrong. While ideally morality informs ethical guideline, it can be said that at times the two are necessarily divergent where roles require actions that could be construed as ostensibly immoral.

Wait for it.....

The basis of any ethical code, however, must be grounded in principles informed by commonly held values. The question of value is urgent to the extent that conflicting visions measure the influence and test the limits of the willingness of others to accept actions which do not align with what they consider to be acceptable.

wait for it......

As members of DDO, we surely must have some common values. As a debate site, the expression of opinion and perspective is fundamental to our community. But in that same manor, as a community it follows that there must be limits within which it is appropriate to entertain argumentative clash both in forums and debates. This is to ensure that members not be unduly alienated by the encroachments of other members.

wait for it......

The question then arises of what constitutes an undue encroachment. While it may be difficult to distinguish retort from personal attack where the very nature of a given site is inherently confrontational, there are two kinds of relevant confrontation within this context: the first being that which is personally malicious, and the second being that which is not personally malicious.

almost there just give it a second.....

Maliciousness is characterized by a volition, that is an intent, to cause harm, be it in reaction to some other perceived harm, or where it is unprovoked in nature. It is maliciousness which differentiates 'good' and 'bad' trolling. Good trolling need not harm the site, because no personal harm was meant -and if it occurs, the damage is easily forgiven and repaired. Bad trolling may, in contrast, be identified by an attack on people out of personal vendetta -whether on or off the site.

Should be the very next one.....

Perhaps the lowest form of trolling is that which occurs beyond the site, that which posits intentionally malicious attacks on other members, for any reason. This is the case because to post of DDO, outside of DDO, is to act at the expense of the community of DDO, without being subject to the rules of DDO. But if this is the case, where the willful attack of a member of DDO comes from outside the parameters of DDO, the attacking member places himself in a zone of ethical twilight. His conduct places himself at once in and out of the jurisdiction of the DDO president.

Oh just get on with it already

But the act of circumventing the rules of DDO, that is the creation of a blog outside of the rules of DDO, indicates itself a fundamental disrespect for the community of DDO, because doing so both rebukes the principles of the TOS without the immediacy of the consequences which necessarily follow from doing so.

THERE IT IS! I was wondering when it would come....

Ok lets get to work,
1) Not all blogs created outside of DDO that are about DDO are made for nefarious purposes
2) creating a blog about DDO outside DDO is not inherently disrespectful to DDO in any way at all

To circumvent the rules, then, in that way, is a higher insult to the purpose and intent of the Terms of Service because it directly indicates a member's unwillingness to respect those provisions, which are predicated upon establishing an order for member interaction. The intentional avoidance of consequences, likewise, is both an act of cowardice and personal disgrace; cowardice for wishing to do as one pleases by systematically avoiding accountability for one's actions and personal disgrace for the implications to one's character that follow from the act itself.

So do the numerous DDO facebook groups in which countless members are a part of are all committing acts of cowardice, avoiding accountability, and is a personal disgrace?

It could not be said that such an act was moral, for both the intent was malicious and the consequences are destructive to the integrity of the DDO community. It could not be said that such an act was ethical, for the willful evasion of accountability itself is sufficient to indicate a desire to act beyond those parameters of behavior which is considered acceptable within the TOS.

I is saying those things. I find nothing wrong with the DDOE blog or wiki page, its just another way that DDO members are brought together in a fun and community-like fashion.

But the TOS are merely the laws of DDO, they are not the arbiters of right and wrong. The TOS only proscribe the expectations of conduct on DDO, they do not indicate what sort of conduct on DDO is morally permissible. The question of morally permissible conduct on DDO presupposes DDO membership and accountability to the TOS, but even more indicates a personal responsibility by which we must measure ourselves.

And if people choose to relieve themselves of personal responsibility and have some fun with DDO at the expense of morality theres nothing inherently bad about that. People shouldnt have to be be as morally right as much as they can, the way things work around here is that as long as your conduct is above a certain level, then you can operate however you like as long as your conduct and ethics do not drop below that critical point.

As nearly anonymous actors, the fear of retribution or other consequence is hardly sufficient to necessitate morally upright conduct, because retribution itself in all but the most extreme cases does not breech the scope of the DDO community. The question, then, is what motive do we have to act in a way that is good? I suggest that we need no motive other than to BE good people -to treat others with respect and dignity, to be tolerant of those views which do not align with ours, to be patient with those who offend our sensibility, to be honorable in the way that we conduct ourselves as we interact with others in the forums and in debates.

People arent obligated to be honorable around here, they are just obligated to not be so disrespectful that said persons existence on the site causes more problems then benefits to the site and an overwhelming majority of users on here.

To be a good person means to set a good example; that is to say that our actions establish norms that order the behavior of others and measure what is considered to be acceptable in popular opinion. That means that if others see us as people worthy of respect or adoration that we live up to our esteem. That means above all doing what is right by others even if they have done wrong by you.

we're not trying to build a utopia of intelligent conversation around here dude, people come on here because they usually have nothing better to do with their time, and they want to give their views on a few matters here and there while interacting with people as well. This isnt Atlantis, this isnt meant to become Atlantis, DDO is just a bar where people come to socialize, give their opinions on a couple things bothering them, and get drunk on whatever the bar is serving them....

Hoc est fundamentalis.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Posts: 8,833
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2013 7:40:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/13/2013 7:08:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/13/2013 6:45:18 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 2/12/2013 11:44:04 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/12/2013 5:37:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Much of that is true, I've seen members insult others beyond content, even after recieving threats from the DDO president. It seems that many times today DDOers can't get online and enjoy this site without being harassed by certain people on this site, some do it but know when to stop, but others go over the line.

It will be a bright day when DDO is a place where all can participate in the site without fear of reprisal.

What is this "fear of reprisal" you speak of? How do I know if someone is doing it to me?

Are you being maliciously targeted or harassed by another member of the forum? If so, that's how you know.

Oh, that's part of life. I know how to deal with that.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MouthWash
Posts: 2,607
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 7:23:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would you say that Danielle's massive personal harassment campaign crossed a line?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 7:28:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/16/2013 7:23:46 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Would you say that Danielle's massive personal harassment campaign crossed a line?

I don't know enough about that to have an opinion.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2013 1:04:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/16/2013 7:23:46 PM, MouthWash wrote:
Would you say that Danielle's massive personal harassment campaign crossed a line?

I say all that hacking that went unpunished was uncalled for.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~