Jump to topic:

Unconscious Author

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2013 11:18:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I came across what I consider to be some disturbing development which comes across in the following short story:

"Edward, are you going to sign?"

Dave Striver loved the university. He loved its ivy-covered clocktowers, its ancient and sturdy brick, and its sun-splashed verdant greens and eager youth. He also loved the fact that the university is free of the stark unforgiving trials of the business world---only this isn't a fact:
academia has its own tests, and some are as merciless as any in the marketplace.

A prime example is the dissertation defense: to earn the Ph.D., to become a doctor, one must pass an oral examination on one's dissertation. This was a test Professor Edward Hart enjoyed giving. Dave wanted desperately to be a doctor. But he needed the signatures of three people on
the first page of his dissertation, the priceless inscriptions which, together, would certify that he had passed his defense.

One of the signatures had to come from Professor Hart, and Hart had often said--to others and to himself--that he was honored to help Dave secure his well-earned dream. Well before the defense, Striver gave Hart a penultimate copy of his thesis. Hart read it and told Dave that it was absolutely first-rate, and that he would gladly sign it at the defense. They even shook hands in Hart's book-lined office. Dave noticed that Hart's eyes were bright and trustful, and his bearing paternal.

At the defense, Dave thought that he eloquently summarized Chapter 3 of his dissertation.

There were two questions, one from Professor Rodman and one from Dr. Teer; Dave answered both, apparently to everyone's satisfaction. There were no further objections. Professor Rodman signed. He slid the tome to Teer; she too signed, and then slid it in front of Hart. Hart didn't move.

"Ed?" Rodman said.

Hart still sat motionless. Dave felt slightly dizzy.

Now, why do I find this short story mildly disturbing?

Because it was written by a f*cking machine.

http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:11:06 AM
At 2/19/2013 11:18:32 PM, Wnope wrote:
I came across what I consider to be some disturbing development which comes across in the following short story:

"Edward, are you going to sign?"

Dave Striver loved the university. He loved its ivy-covered clocktowers, its ancient and sturdy brick, and its sun-splashed verdant greens and eager youth. He also loved the fact that the university is free of the stark unforgiving trials of the business world---only this isn't a fact:
academia has its own tests, and some are as merciless as any in the marketplace.

A prime example is the dissertation defense: to earn the Ph.D., to become a doctor, one must pass an oral examination on one's dissertation. This was a test Professor Edward Hart enjoyed giving. Dave wanted desperately to be a doctor. But he needed the signatures of three people on
the first page of his dissertation, the priceless inscriptions which, together, would certify that he had passed his defense.

One of the signatures had to come from Professor Hart, and Hart had often said--to others and to himself--that he was honored to help Dave secure his well-earned dream. Well before the defense, Striver gave Hart a penultimate copy of his thesis. Hart read it and told Dave that it was absolutely first-rate, and that he would gladly sign it at the defense. They even shook hands in Hart's book-lined office. Dave noticed that Hart's eyes were bright and trustful, and his bearing paternal.

At the defense, Dave thought that he eloquently summarized Chapter 3 of his dissertation.

There were two questions, one from Professor Rodman and one from Dr. Teer; Dave answered both, apparently to everyone's satisfaction. There were no further objections. Professor Rodman signed. He slid the tome to Teer; she too signed, and then slid it in front of Hart. Hart didn't move.

"Ed?" Rodman said.

Hart still sat motionless. Dave felt slightly dizzy.

Now, why do I find this short story mildly disturbing?

Because it was written by a f*cking machine.

http://acl.ldc.upenn.edu...

There were some guys at MIT thad developed an essay generator. I've had great fun with this.

http://www.elsewhere.org...

I wonder what Alan Turing would have to say about your unconscious author though... or what Clark and Chalmers might conclude from it.
Tsar of DDO
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 5:15:32 AM
Disturbing? I think not. Awesome? I believe so.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 9:15:41 AM
It's interesting, but nowhere near the level of writing an author can do.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!