Jump to topic:

Infinity question.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:31:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There is a space. Nothing exists in this space; it is entirely void. The space stretches out infinitely in all directions.

Suddenly, an infinite amount of air pops into existence. What is the air pressure in the space?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:41:52 PM
That depends, because infinities aren't homogeneous. Some have higher cardinalities than others, for instance.

But, it also depends on whether the air fills each region in space the same way. If it does, then you can measure any region and extrapolate, since the pressure would be the same anywhere (holding everything else, e.g., temperature, constant). Otherwise, it's a question of whether these infinities are temporal--if they are, then space is expanding, constantly lowering the pressure (though, if the air was popping into existence at just the right rate to perfectly occupy the expansion without disturbing pressure, then my previous measurement strategy would still work).

tl;dr There are a lot of relevant variables, and "infinity" isn't that simple to deal with.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:47:52 PM
According to general theory of relativity, there can be no such thing as completely empty space since space/time is equivalent to matter and energy.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 10:20:37 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:41:52 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
That depends, because infinities aren't homogeneous. Some have higher cardinalities than others, for instance.

But, it also depends on whether the air fills each region in space the same way. If it does, then you can measure any region and extrapolate, since the pressure would be the same anywhere (holding everything else, e.g., temperature, constant). Otherwise, it's a question of whether these infinities are temporal--if they are, then space is expanding, constantly lowering the pressure (though, if the air was popping into existence at just the right rate to perfectly occupy the expansion without disturbing pressure, then my previous measurement strategy would still work).

tl;dr There are a lot of relevant variables, and "infinity" isn't that simple to deal with.

Yes, the air is the same everywhere and the air stretches into infinity. "You could measure it" isn't exactly the answer I was looking for. I was essentially inquiring about the nature of infinity. A similar problem would be to say, "There was an infinitely long stack of pennies and dimes. There is a repeating pattern in the stack: two dimes, one penny, etc. What is proportion of dimes to pennies?"

Another thing that interests me is the difference between an infinity that has a single stopping point but extends forever in one direction and an infinity that extends forever in two directions. Analogy: All positive numbers from zero up or all negative and positive numbers.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 10:26:16 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:31:44 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
There is a space. Nothing exists in this space; it is entirely void. The space stretches out infinitely in all directions.

Suddenly, an infinite amount of air pops into existence. What is the air pressure in the space?

Um, from what I understand, an actual, physical, infinite cannot exist. To the more scientific or philosophically inclined, can you tell me if I am right or wrong?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 10:38:32 PM
At 2/23/2013 10:26:16 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Um, from what I understand, an actual, physical, infinite cannot exist. To the more scientific or philosophically inclined, can you tell me if I am right or wrong?

I'm sure this could all be defined in mathematical terms. I'm just using this for analogous purposes.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 6:26:03 AM

The Fool: Space Has Dimensional Properties, Absolute void doesn't exist. Nor could you know it, anyways, because it wouldn't be there to know of it.

It is intuitive to think of Nothingness as black or darkness, But its not even that.

Proof:
We all have a blind spot in our vision where the optic nerve enters, the brain,
There are no receptors there. So we should have two black holes in our vision. But what is Not does not Exist. And so it is Not there to see, think or cognizable.
And when you claim it or speak of it, you do so falsely, because it is Not there to be claimed or spoken of.

For, any visual entity depends on a spatial property. But not all entities are spatial.
The feeling of our emotions are as true and existing as it gets. Yet we don't feel them in this or that area or place. They are immediate to the center of experience. Also known as THE "I" in "I" think therefore I am. AKA the observer. The Cogito

The Fool.

P.S. The Nihilist's can Lick ma Foolish ball.
Just one.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 6:47:30 AM

But, it also depends on whether the air fills each region in space the same way. If it does, then you can measure any region and extrapolate, since the pressure would be the same anywhere (holding everything else, e.g., temperature, constant).

The Fool: It would also appear so if we had clue of it being there. Everything appears equal when you are ignorance of the differences. For, in-form-ation depends on a distinction. AKA a Difference. Sameness would by synonymous with no pressure.

Otherwise, it's a question of whether these infinitie are temporal--if they are, then space is expanding, constantly lowering the pressure (though, if the air was popping into existence at just the right rate to perfectly occupy the expansion without disturbing pressure, then my previous measurement strategy would still work).

The Fool: Where would you say its expanding? Something like the Outer Regions. Like Outer space. LOL!.

LOL!!!
<(8J)

LOL!!

The Fool: Or is there no variable In particular. Lol!

So what would you say are the irrelevant variables in infinity. ? LOL!!!!!

So how are you dealing with it now, if you do not know what they are?

If you figured it out would you say, wow, now I know what I meant Before, I knew what I mean now.

LOOOOLL!!!!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:50:06 AM
Air pressure is really just how many particles per square inch there is in a given area. since it is infinite, it can't expand into anything, it will be completely static and homogenous. So the air will maintain whatever pressure it was created at. Actually, now that I think about it, gravity would cause it continuously increase in pressure into infinity, creating some kind of singularity.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:52:41 AM
At 2/24/2013 6:47:30 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

But, it also depends on whether the air fills each region in space the same way. If it does, then you can measure any region and extrapolate, since the pressure would be the same anywhere (holding everything else, e.g., temperature, constant).

The Fool: It would also appear so if we had clue of it being there. Everything appears equal when you are ignorance of the differences. For, in-form-ation depends on a distinction. AKA a Difference. Sameness would by synonymous with no pressure.

Like I said, the pressure depends on a lot of stuff. If we think of space as an infinite series of boxes (as one might do in topology, for example), then the cardinality of the infinity of air relative to the same of space matters. If there is everywhere the same amount of air, then, insofar as air molecules are coming into contact with one another, the air pressure is the same. I mean, we already know there is pressure in space (about 1.32 x 10^-11 Pascals)--it's basically no pressure at all, but there is pressure. The problem is that, in space as such, it's a useless gesture to measure pressure without a contact surface.

Otherwise, it's a question of whether these infinitie are temporal--if they are, then space is expanding, constantly lowering the pressure (though, if the air was popping into existence at just the right rate to perfectly occupy the expansion without disturbing pressure, then my previous measurement strategy would still work).

The Fool: Where would you say its expanding? Something like the Outer Regions. Like Outer space. LOL!.

Typically, space is understood as expanding everywhere, hence why heavenly bodies are very gradually withdrawing from each other. It isn't as if everything else remains stationary while space expands at the margins.

LOL!!!
<(8J)

LOL!!

The Fool: Or is there no variable In particular. Lol!

So what would you say are the irrelevant variables in infinity. ? LOL!!!!!

What kind of infinity?

So how are you dealing with it now, if you do not know what they are?

I'm not dealing with it--the point of my post is to demonstrate how difficult it is to deal with given really vague parameters.

If you figured it out would you say, wow, now I know what I meant Before, I knew what I mean now.

LOOOOLL!!!!

Okay.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 3:01:51 PM
At 2/23/2013 10:20:37 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
A similar problem would be to say, "There was an infinitely long stack of pennies and dimes. There is a repeating pattern in the stack: two dimes, one penny, etc. What is proportion of dimes to pennies?"

This is solvable. We have a stack where the total sum is "2x +y" * infinity. Meaning, we can separate the pile into two piles: one of dimes, and one of pennies. The dime pile is twice as big. Thus, there are two dimes per penny.

This all has to be done via thought experiment thugh, as (other than the fact there aren't infinite dimes and pennies) we couldn't compare the sizes. By the law of cardinals, however, we'd get two per each one. Consider the comparison of the two piles by their nth terms:

Pennies: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... (n-1), n.

Dimes: 2, 4, 6, 8, ... 2(n-1), 2n.

Now it becomes clear that for every dime, there must be a penny. Now, consider infinity. It can be treated one of two ways: either an unfathomably large number, or limitless. If it is treated as limitless, it is not a number and by definition cannot exist (it'd be like the mathematical expression of Merchant of Venice: it doesn't make sense in the paradigm we are discussing). If we treat it as an unfathomably large number, then it is simply an expression of n. And as we know via the comparison presented, there are two dimes for every penny. Thus, in the sum, there are two dimes for every penny.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 6:20:14 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:50:06 AM, natoast wrote:
Air pressure is really just how many particles per square inch there is in a given area. since it is infinite, it can't expand into anything, it will be completely static and homogenous. So the air will maintain whatever pressure it was created at. Actually, now that I think about it, gravity would cause it continuously increase in pressure into infinity, creating some kind of singularity.

Not really, since because each molecule would apply the same amount of gravity in all directions, it would remain perfectly stable unless we randomly had some matter appear (which would set the whole thing off).
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:33:37 PM
At 2/24/2013 6:47:30 AM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: It would also appear so if we had clue of it being there. Everything appears equal when you are ignorant of the differences. For, in-form-ation depends on a distinction. AKA a Difference. Sameness would be synonymous with no pressure.

Cody_Franklin: Like I said, the pressure depends on a lot of stuff.
it"s not black and white fallacy."

The Sophist: What I said is true.

The Fool: Why is that?

The Sophist: It"s not a black and white issue. Or its complex. Or its grey area, or it depends on many things.

The Fool: That is if you don"t know what those many things are then you don"t have claim to The More. Saying its not a black or white issue says nothing about the issue at all. Saying that it depends many things does not say anything in PARTICULAR.
For everything appears gray if we are confused or have muttled conception.
Or if its completely irrational, (In the Orginal sense as in Ratio-cination) 1:1 ratio-. Non of that paradigm nonsense..

Cody_Franklin: If we think" of space as an infinite series of boxes (as one might do in topology, for example), then the cardinality of the infinity of air relative to the same of space matters.

The Fool: "If we think of" Is the worst possible way to state an argument.
"If we think of"(Classic continental)

If we think of space made of mini pink rabbits pooping leprechauns then there will be a lot of lucky charms for everyone.

For if you think of anything other then what something is then it"s false. For you have changed conceptions.

For let something be A. And if you think of it as B, then you think of something else. The TERM "Space" doesn"t carry the concept with it.

TRUTH PRESERVATION: In perfect world

["TERM"regit designator]->{Conception}-> Actual entity

"My Computer"-> [{Processing unit, Moniter, E, F, S}] -> P,M,E,F,S

IF I think of my computer as a Chicken I am not still thinking of my computer, I am thinking of a chicken.

SAME TERM DIFFERENT CONCEPTION. The actual computer it not effected.

"My Computer"->[Chicken]-/> P,M,E,F,S

Cody_Franklin: If we think" of space as an infinite series of boxes (as one might do in topology, for example), then the cardinality of the infinity of air relative to the same of space matters.

The Fool: No, one might not, try and think of an infinite series of boxes, if you stop thinking then it"s not infinite. You will NEVER Think of an infinite series of anything.
Even if I try and think of an infinite line, it just goes into a dark abyss, where I lose sight of it eventually, Even if I follow it as though I am running down it.

I recognize that I am just relooping the same imaginary Footage, over and over.

A->B->C, A->B->C, A->B->C, A->B->C, Its futile. I then I think of something else.

I am with Kant on that one.
Where he argues that it"s an illusion created by reason when we use a concepts from the category of experience.

(In his terminology) As to try to predict the future as far as possible by relooping the ideas forward.

In other words if infinite IS, then then it"s beyond the capacity of human Reason.
(I wouldn't argue it in Kantian terms though)

Cardinals and Infinites are Sketchy at best. They are signing checks that could never be cashed.

Therefore they are false. Checks.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:36:49 PM
The Fools Rejection of infinities:

The Sophist: If and only IF, we Take (X*5) and Keep repeating the calculation it will be a Bigger infinite Then (1*4) Recursively.

The Fool: But the Problem is YOU NEVER REACH INFINITY.
Therefore it could NEVER BE TRUE.

Leibniz: And that which could never be true is by NECESSITY FALSE!
The Fool: Thus it is always a false hypothesis.

I Cody_Franklin: f there is everywhere the same amount of air, then, insofar as air molecules are coming into contact with one another, the air pressure is the same.
The Fool: You are not getting it, pressure is a result unequal forces, for there MUST BE PRESS-ING in order to have PRESS-URE.

Or it is neither here nor there. In the literal Sense.

Cody_Franklin: I mean, we already know there is pressure in space (about 1.32 x 10^-11 Pascals)--it's basically no pressure at all, but there is pressure. The problem is that, in space as such, it's a useless gesture to measure pressure without a contact surface.

The Fool: To be honest I don"t think scientist got it worked out yet. What you are quoting is a mathematical modal. That is supposed to represent what we hope it does. Today; s facts are tomorrow"s Fictions. It is the mistake of ages to think that we now a lot more then we really have. For wisdom comes by knowledge of your limits. Knowledge comes slow, with effort over time, every mistake is caused by going beyond the knowledge they actually have.

For once you let a false notion slip into your system you got problems if you are one who values such things.

Cardinal infinites are highly debated, look for a lot of this in the future.

Cody_Franklin: Otherwise, it's a question of whether these infinity are temporal--if they are, then space is expanding, constantly lowering the pressure (though, if the air was popping into existence at just the right rate to perfectly occupy the expansion without disturbing pressure, then my previous measurement strategy would still work).

The Fool: No way. Anything popping into existence is a philosophic COPE out! Anything you don"t understand would appear to pop into existence. So it is an Eternal Confound. It could never be knowledge, not even a claim, for is it not there to claim, and Thus always a false claim.

AKA Recognition Reality Fallacy. All we can say at most is that we do not RECOGNIZE where it comes from.

The Fool: Where would you say it"s expanding? Something like the Outer Regions. Like Outer space. LOL!.

AKA saying everywhere doesn't tell us anything in particular, for its certainly not expanding inward. Scientist have no Idea that space itself is expanding, that is a very old theory that could never be tested. Since the claim is that it"s expanding at the speed of light.

It"s not like we can PING LIGHT TO HIT THE END AND COME back. What is the end? Nothingness. Naa, that isn"t sound. Galaxies gravitation doesn't mean space is expanding. That is a weak hypo, at best. There is more phenomena to be discovered.

Remember they just thought it was the opposite a few years ago. I think we have a while till we understand that fully. It doesn't matter if they are scientist. They may interprete the data poorly. If you can"t explain it yourself then you can"t know that they know, without appealing to faith.

Cody_Franklin:: Typically, space is understood as expanding everywhere, hence why heavenly bodies are very gradually withdrawing from each other.

The Fool: "space is understood as expanding," You are speaking like they as if our understanding changes the space itself. That is why your notions run away on you like statues of Daedalus.

"Understanding in its original sense", means to stand under, as to see how something works.
A modern analogy would be between knowing what a Car is, from seeing it from outside. Where understanding, is to stand UNDER the HOOD or underneath to see HOW The Car works rather then simply that it is, or that It works.

For we may both have knowledge but one may of us may have a BETTER UNDERSTANDING.

Cody_Franklin: I'm not dealing with it--the point of my post is to demonstrate how difficult it is to deal with given really vague parameters. It isn't as if everything else remains stationary while space expands at the margins.

The Fool: Which would be a confounding variable, to the theory of expansion. It doesn't add up.

The Fool: Don"t do it clown Bear, You have your whole life ahead of you. Nihilism is not the way. For the good In itself is out there somewhere. I have sensed it.

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 7:40:05 PM
"The Fool: But the Problem is YOU NEVER REACH INFINITY."
Bingo. One infinity can't be more than another infinity.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:11:30 PM
At 2/24/2013 6:20:14 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Not really, since because each molecule would apply the same amount of gravity in all directions, it would remain perfectly stable unless we randomly had some matter appear (which would set the whole thing off).

Well if you really want to get into physics, then unless the air is at absolute zero it does have random kinetic energy, and since it is always moving it will eventually succumb to gravity and clump up.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:32:50 PM

Nope. Gravity would be affecting each atom of gas equally in all sides, thus no gravitational combustion.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 7:08:24 PM
At 2/25/2013 5:32:50 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Nope. Gravity would be affecting each atom of gas equally in all sides, thus no gravitational combustion.

Am I wrong about the random kinetic energy?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:20:23 PM
At 2/26/2013 1:27:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/24/2013 7:40:05 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Uh, yeah it can. Infinities can have different cardinalities; other infinities are uncountable.

The Fool: SOLD!!!!
<(8J)
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:23:44 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:20:23 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

Uh, yeah it can. Infinities can have different cardinalities; other infinities are uncountable.

<(8J)

other infinities are uncountable.

The Fool: So maybe we shouldn't count them. They don't seem to be accounted for Na?

I mean whatever doesn't exist is uncountable too!

They seem to both share Nothing is common. LMFAO>.. lol.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:00:13 PM
At 2/26/2013 5:23:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

<(8J)

The Fool: So maybe we shouldn't count them. They don't seem to be accounted for Na?

<(8J)
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 6:52:29 PM
I know the answer.

If both are infinite, the pressure will be equal to the maximum psi of any given square inch of this universe's space (since they would all be equal). So, if you figure out the maximum possible psi, you will have your answer.

There's a problem though, and that problem is that atoms aren't stiff. They're fluffly, and mostly composed of empty space. If you keep pressing them closer and closer together, the temperature will continue going up and up and these oxygen atoms will eventually break down into their sub-atomic particles.

If you keep increasing the pressure from there, you'll eventually get to the point where you're forming neutron stars which are incredibly heavy due to their density. A neutron star roughly the size of Brooklyn would have the same mass as 500,000 Earths. If you continue increasing the pressure, you will eventually reach infinite density, which will create a black hole. Since you have an infinite amount square inches, each with infinite density, you will have one infinitely large black whole.

So, to answer your question; what is the air pressure? Infinite. There is no limit to pressure. When you have an infinite amount of space with an infinite amount of matter, you also end up with an infinite amount of density (which = black hole).

It's interesting how infinity and zero can be opposite, yet equal, hmm?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:28:23 AM
At 2/26/2013 5:23:44 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

<(8J)

Given that they're uncountable, we don't count them, and couldn't if we tried. For example: the set of all natural numbers are countable, but the set of all real numbers are not.

That seems similar to arguing that firetrucks don't exist because red unicorns, which share with firetrucks the property of being red, don't exist.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 4:47:34 AM

it can be any air pressure.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
RobDeSenelstun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:36:09 PM

The answer is 0. If the space is infinite then there are no boundaries within which the space should fit, hence removing the cause of pressure.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 2:59:40 AM
Pressure is not caused by boundaries. The earth has no boundary yet there is pressure on us right now. The cause of pressure is collisions between particles, exchange of momentum which leads to force.
An infinite space filled with infinite amounts of air would not be completely empty.