Jump to topic:

Why is happiness good?

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 11:33:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Why is it considered almost axiomatic that happiness is utility? This occurred to me when I heard WLC's rather embarrassing solution to the "problem of animal suffering." It made no sense to me that a process of evocreation (assuming God exists) should have been inhibited by whatever arbitrary psychological factor they evolved for survival purposes. This applied to people as well- whatever our intended purpose is, it doesn't seem like a God necessarily needs to prevent a simple negative reinforcement in our brains or else he can't exist. Nothing in teleology implies it. What I'm asking is basically: what exactly do proponents of the PoE consider to be evil?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 11:47:07 AM
I agree with this. The problem of evil is clearly based on utilitarian assumptions. In fact, I consider it rather flattering to utilitarianism that theists don't often challenge the proposition that god would wish to eliminate gratuitous suffering. There's no reason I can see, given morality is supposed to be grounded in god, why this should be the case.
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 3:59:46 PM
At 2/25/2013 11:33:55 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Why is it considered almost axiomatic that happiness is utility? This occurred to me when I heard WLC's rather embarrassing solution to the "problem of animal suffering." It made no sense to me that a process of evocreation (assuming God exists) should have been inhibited by whatever arbitrary psychological factor they evolved for survival purposes. This applied to people as well- whatever our intended purpose is, it doesn't seem like a God necessarily needs to prevent a simple negative reinforcement in our brains or else he can't exist. Nothing in teleology implies it. What I'm asking is basically: what exactly do proponents of the PoE consider to be evil?

Interesting way to put the question - thanks.

I suppose the utility of happiness would be in the continuation of life - the seeking of it (and more of it) gives consciousness a reason to move. At the same time, I reckon that, without unhappiness, movement would just be willy-nilly and all over the place, with no specific purpose and no reason to maintain any sort of direction. Hence, "evil" may be personal and only related to the point of consciousness - something someone really, really doesn't like, for whatever reason, that would identify something more pleasant, for which to reach, creating both a reason and direction in which to move.
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone.
For the times they are a-changin'. - Bob Dylan
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 4:13:45 PM
Meant: "...only related to the point of consciousness [that perceives it]".

Something I've always wondered is why people who perceive themselves to be "righteous" would waste time following "evil" around. I mean, they believe it's going to hell, right? Yet they seem to be constantly tracking, hunting and following it. It seems...loony, if you'll pardon the expression. Added to the myriad of other problems with the idea, the fascination with "evil" is just so...same. Static. Unmoving. Lifeless.
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 4:37:39 PM
At 2/25/2013 3:59:46 PM, Cinco wrote:

Interesting way to put the question - thanks.

I suppose the utility of happiness would be in the continuation of life - the seeking of it (and more of it) gives consciousness a reason to move. At the same time, I reckon that, without unhappiness, movement would just be willy-nilly and all over the place, with no specific purpose and no reason to maintain any sort of direction. Hence, "evil" may be personal and only related to the point of consciousness - something someone really, really doesn't like, for whatever reason, that would identify something more pleasant, for which to reach, creating both a reason and direction in which to move.

You're talking about subjective preferences, not morality (unless you advocate Constructivism?).
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 5:52:13 PM
At 2/25/2013 4:37:39 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

You're talking about subjective preferences, not morality (unless you advocate Constructivism?).

My personal perspective doesn't include "morality", so that would be correct. ("Subjective preferences", not "Constructivism".) I should have realized...sorry. Morality hasn't been a personal issue or interest for many years, so I tend to forget about its popularity, as a topic. It wasn't mentioned and the way your remarks were worded stood out as relevant to something I've been exploring but I should have kept it to myself.
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 6:03:19 PM
At 2/25/2013 11:47:07 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I agree with this. The problem of evil is clearly based on utilitarian assumptions. In fact, I consider it rather flattering to utilitarianism that theists don't often challenge the proposition that god would wish to eliminate gratuitous suffering. There's no reason I can see, given morality is supposed to be grounded in god, why this should be the case.

It usually runs through aesthetic and preference, but also the fact no sane person decides "You know what would be OK? Killing a bunch of people!"

I'd also point, again, to my utilitarian debate with FourTrouble where I outlined utilitarianism in the opening pitch.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 6:42:35 PM
At 2/25/2013 6:03:19 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/25/2013 11:47:07 AM, Kinesis wrote:

It usually runs through aesthetic and preference, but also the fact no sane person decides "You know what would be OK? Killing a bunch of people!"

Cody's just a lunatic, right?

I'd also point, again, to my utilitarian debate with FourTrouble where I outlined utilitarianism in the opening pitch.

I'm not sure I understand it. You advocate consequentialism, not utilitarianism in particular.
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 6:43:25 PM

It isn't useful to go about life doing all sorts of things with no happiness resulting from them. The game needs to be worth the candle. What is utility without happiness?
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 7:11:58 PM
Why is it considered almost axiomatic that happiness is utility?

Not to sound glib, but it isn't considered almost axiomatic, it is axiomatic.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 12:38:43 PM
At 2/25/2013 7:11:58 PM, drafterman wrote:

I don't understand how you are defining "axiomatic." Either way, you missed the point.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 2:26:17 PM
At 2/26/2013 12:38:43 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

I don't understand how you are defining "axiomatic." Either way, you missed the point.

Axiom:
1. A statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true.
2. A statement or proposition on which an abstractly defined structure is based.

In terms of philosophies which equate happiness to goodness, that is a fundamental axiom of said systems on which its conclusions are built.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2013 5:31:21 PM
At 2/26/2013 2:26:17 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 2/26/2013 12:38:43 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Axiom:
1. A statement or proposition that is regarded as being established, accepted, or self-evidently true.
2. A statement or proposition on which an abstractly defined structure is based.

In terms of philosophies which equate happiness to goodness, that is a fundamental axiom of said systems on which its conclusions are built.

I am referring to #1.
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 10:54:24 AM

'Why is happiness good?"

Happiness is good because good is whatever is conducive to the welfare and continuation of the biology of the organism as a self. I think of god in the delusional nature of the term, delusion can prove to be of some benefit to ones continued biological welfare, particularly in a societal context were disbelief is experienced by many as a social threat.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 11:05:58 AM
When you're always happy, you're never happy. So, I guess there's utility to sadness too.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:06:25 PM
At 2/27/2013 11:05:58 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
When you're always happy, you're never happy. So, I guess there's utility to sadness too.

It is all biological, whatever diminishes my being or becomes a threat to it, is bad/evil.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:11:38 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:06:25 PM, jambone wrote:

It is all biological, whatever diminishes my being or becomes a threat to it, is bad/evil.

What is your being?
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:21:17 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:11:38 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

What is your being?

The state of my conscious existence as I experience it.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:24:33 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:21:17 PM, jambone wrote:

What is your being?

What could possibly diminish that?
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 12:47:33 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:24:33 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

What is your being?

Anything that has the ability to disrupt or damage ones biology, even to the absence of ones biological necessities, food, oxygen. Things which I tend not to like fall into this category, and if I cannot reasonably avoid these things they cause discomfort and uneasiness to my existence. That which busies me in an effort to compensate for its effect upon me, diminishes me, as thoughs energies and that focus could be put to use in directly supporting my existence.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:40:51 PM
At 2/27/2013 12:47:33 PM, jambone wrote:

What is your being?

Anything that has the ability to disrupt or damage ones biology, even to the absence of ones biological necessities, food, oxygen. Things which I tend not to like fall into this category, and if I cannot reasonably avoid these things they cause discomfort and uneasiness to my existence. That which busies me in an effort to compensate for its effect upon me, diminishes me, as thoughs energies and that focus could be put to use in directly supporting my existence.

Interesting that you mention oxygen.

Did you know that when you inhale, the oxygen that runs through your blood occasionally oxidizes your DNA. This damage carries on replication through replication, which compounds to the point where you can eventually see visible damage to your body (grey hair, wrinkled skin, brittle bones, etc). There's another name for this process, it's called "aging".

So, is breathing bad? Is aging evil?
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 1:46:07 PM
At 2/27/2013 1:40:51 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

What is your being?

Did you know that when you inhale, the oxygen that runs through your blood occasionally oxidizes your DNA. This damage carries on replication through replication, which compounds to the point where you can eventually see visible damage to your body (grey hair, wrinkled skin, brittle bones, etc). There's another name for this process, it's called "aging".

How are you here?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 4:44:44 PM

Actually there are billion dollar industries built upon fighting the apparent signs of this ageing process. Just curious, is your inquiry serious? Breathing you might say is good in the short term, but in the long term it is a form of count down----the source of all sorrow is temporarily.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:38:36 PM
At 2/27/2013 4:44:44 PM, jambone wrote:

Actually there are billion dollar industries built upon fighting the apparent signs of this ageing process. Just curious, is your inquiry serious? Breathing you might say is good in the short term, but in the long term it is a form of count down----the source of all sorrow is temporarily.

Then we agree -- bad things can be good for you. There is utility in sadness.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:39:09 PM
At 2/27/2013 1:46:07 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

What is your being?

How are you here?

Logged on, clicked over.
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 10:58:11 PM
"Then we agree -- bad things can be good for you. There is utility in sadness."

Yes I guess we do, living seems to be a terminal condition. Outside of a little tongue and cheek humor is there anything here to discus?

"There is utility in sadness."

Perhaps you would like to expand on the above, certainly fear can fulfill a worthy purpose in keeping us from doing foolish things, sometimes over ridden by the production of testosterone.
RobDeSenelstun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:25:20 PM

Think back on the last time you had sex (unless you're a lady, in which case odd's are better that masterbation might be a better example here)...now think back on the last time you were kicked in the cobblers (unless you're lady, in which case that once a month visit from the painters might be better here). Now...that's a contrast that should stand out. Why you prefer the one to the other has 100% to do with the fact that your limbic system is mammalian, or put differently, you are a human.

Everything else falls somewhere on this scale, and it's ultimately down to nuero-transmitters, and DNA. Shout if you need anymore...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 5:18:46 PM
Happiness is the reward for a positive situation in life and sadness is the punishment for a negative situation. If this is different for any living thing then its genetic line isn't passed on.

The surviving organisms value happiness and it seems to occur around positive situations. Thus it is "good".
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 5:29:53 PM

What is your being?

A necessary evil maybe. Eternal life may be detrimental to life as a whole as well.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!