Jump to topic:

Is Skepticism Reasonable?

Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:01:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't mean methodological skepticism, that's a virtue which leads to avoiding naivete. And I don't mean skepticism as a state of mind, that's a vice that leads to cynicism. Rather I mean Knowledge skepticism of 4 types:

1) Global skepticism - there exists no propositional knowledge in any area of human thought

2) Unmitigated skepticism- Any alleged propositional knowledge isn't a case of propositional knowledge

2.1) Strong Unmitigated skepticism: no proposition can be known

2.2) Mild Unmitigated skepticism: propositions are possible known but none actually are

2.3) Weak Unmitigated skepticism: no propositions are known with certainty

3) 1st-Order skepticism- rejects beliefs about external world, e.g., there is a tree / mercy is good...

4) Sensory knowledge of the external world

These types of skepticism, I'll argue that they're unreasonable.
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic." -Darwin
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:04:29 PM
It would be easier to just respond to your arguments then provide a full case for any of the types of skepticism presented.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:08:27 PM
At 2/25/2013 1:04:29 PM, Noumena wrote:
It would be easier to just respond to your arguments then provide a full case for any of the types of skepticism presented.

Would you like to debate this?
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic." -Darwin
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:10:23 PM
At 2/25/2013 1:08:27 PM, Anaxa wrote:

It depends on which level of skepticism we're debating and what type of argument you'll be providing. Some arguments I'm more comfortable and familiar with than others. Can I haz preview?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:18:24 PM
At 2/25/2013 1:10:23 PM, Noumena wrote:
At 2/25/2013 1:08:27 PM, Anaxa wrote:

It depends on which level of skepticism we're debating and what type of argument you'll be providing. Some arguments I'm more comfortable and familiar with than others. Can I haz preview?

My strategy assumes we're prima facie justified in believing we can obtain knowledge until proven otherwise, this will take rebutting skepticism of the variety I provided above.

Arguments for skepticism starts with the Criterion Problem, which I'll have a BoP to provide solutions for it, the Argument from Justification Transfer, Argument from Error"s Possibility, Argument from past Error.

This is a monumental task for me. I'll open the round and so you'll see the logical structure of each of these arguments for skepticism and of course you can provide your own in your rounds.
Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:19:19 PM
I'll most likely lose, but I like to work my brain. Also, we'll have to be quick, 1 hour rounds. :-)
Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:27:39 PM
At 2/25/2013 1:20:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/25/2013 1:19:30 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I'll debate it too, if you want. :)

But not 1-hour rounds. I'm not a speed debater, and I have things to do.

I can only insist on hour rounds. I'm firm on that.
Anaxa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 1:31:06 PM
Take it or leave it gents,

http://debate.org...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 8:47:48 PM
At 2/25/2013 1:32:41 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/25/2013 1:27:39 PM, Anaxa wrote:
At 2/25/2013 1:20:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

But not 1-hour rounds. I'm not a speed debater, and I have things to do.

I can only insist on hour rounds. I'm firm on that.

Why?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 9:02:44 PM

The Fool: Debate for what?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL