Jump to topic:

how do you make a happy world?

Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 5:21:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Everyone is happy, by happy, I mean content and the feeling of happiness that doesn't need defining. I believe it is possible somehow to achieve a state of society where all citisens are happy. I'm not a humanist or a utilitarianist but would anyone have an informed position on this topic?

Talking about the subject subjectively now, my perfect world where everyone would be happy is a functioning society where everyone is productive and everyone gets along. No pressures, no suprise cars flying into your bedroom and killing you as revenge for hitting the alarm clock etc.. There would also be a strong objective moral basis that everyone would use to temper their own decisions with.

I think a big cause of strife in the world is pure and simply: Differences. Its really the only mechanism of choosing who to fight and kill in war, the side which disagrees with you. If humanity were to eventually fix this problem, would it:
a) even be possible to fix the issue and make not an issue?
b) would it help make us happy/make us happy?

What do you think?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 6:21:23 AM
At 2/27/2013 5:21:55 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Everyone is happy, by happy, I mean content and the feeling of happiness that doesn't need defining. I believe it is possible somehow to achieve a state of society where all citisens are happy. I'm not a humanist or a utilitarianist but would anyone have an informed position on this topic?

Talking about the subject subjectively now, my perfect world where everyone would be happy is a functioning society where everyone is productive and everyone gets along. No pressures, no suprise cars flying into your bedroom and killing you as revenge for hitting the alarm clock etc.. There would also be a strong objective moral basis that everyone would use to temper their own decisions with.

I think a big cause of strife in the world is pure and simply: Differences. Its really the only mechanism of choosing who to fight and kill in war, the side which disagrees with you. If humanity were to eventually fix this problem, would it:

What do you think?

If you mean "Can man eliminate diversity and all think in the same way and direction?", I'd say no. If you mean "Can man evolve into a more logical, 'grown-up' view of diversity?", then I'd say maybe. Not because man "should" but because I think it may actually be inevitable.
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone.
For the times they are a-changin'. - Bob Dylan
Consummator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:46:47 AM
Anarcho communism is the only, unfeasible, way.

The more practical way is to kill the unhappy and only allow the happy to survive.

Nonetheless, neither way is morally acceptable by any moral code other than utilitarianism.
You just wasted your life reading this and will now find a way to convince yourself that it wasn't your fault.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 10:53:18 AM
Happiness brings sadness, sadness brings happiness. Therefore, the only way to truly be happy is to be accepting of both.

The world will always have pain because the world is always changing, but the suffering that leads to the constant misery we see in the world is the result of fighting that change. The pain is temporary, the suffering is long-term.

Pain is the result of change, suffering is the result of you. You want a happy world? Stop choosing misery.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 2:01:26 PM
Just kill all the sad people.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 12:45:13 AM
At 2/27/2013 9:46:47 AM, Consummator wrote:
Anarcho communism is the only, unfeasible, way.

The more practical way is to kill the unhappy and only allow the happy to survive.

Nonetheless, neither way is morally acceptable by any moral code other than utilitarianism.

if we kill all the unhappy, the happy people would be most unhappy, and plus, its not a gene, they would have kids and then the kids would be unhappy. I think its an ideology that can ensure someones happiness, for example, many religions require people to happy with their lot in life, not that it gets followed by the religions supporters but if it did then the people of that religion would be happy as are the disciples who actually go out of their way to be happy.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 7:02:46 AM
At 2/27/2013 5:21:55 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Would it be possible to eliminate all differences and make everybody and everything thing the same? No, of course not.

I think eliminating differences would be dreadful, I sure wouldn't be happy about an undifferentiated world. Why do you think sameness would make everyone happy?

What do you think?

I'm glad I can think, and I don't see how thinking would even be possible in your postulated world...if everyone had the same thoughts they wouldn't actually be thinking.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 7:33:36 AM
At 2/28/2013 7:14:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
Kill the unhappy people.

That would make you happy?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:20:42 AM
At 2/28/2013 7:33:36 AM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/28/2013 7:14:38 AM, drafterman wrote:
Kill the unhappy people.

That would make you happy?

well, if it made him unhappy... he'd be one of those you don't have to worry about anymore ;)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."