Jump to topic:

Can you forgive humanity?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:58:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Can you forgive humanity for every crime it committed and accept it as it is? Or in its conviction, it is deem to change the way you see fit?

Note that crime here carry no legal context, everything that you think humanity had done wrong is considered a crime (to you). The question here is, if it refused to change, would you, just accept and live on with it, or attempt to change it against its will?
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 1:07:39 PM
Humanity neither wants, requires or expects my forgiveness or acceptance, and moreover, it will carry on regardless.

What is your point?
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Psuproject2016
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 2:45:51 PM
I am failing to understand the point of this post exactly. I am a human myself, I consider myself apart of humanity, and the concept of morality and criminal nature is something invented and enforced within the context of human concisence. Therefore, I really do not think there is anything that can be forgiven and, for that matter, any way that could be gone about in doing so.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 5:14:05 PM
At 3/11/2013 6:58:10 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Can you forgive humanity for every crime it committed and accept it as it is? Or in its conviction, it is deem to change the way you see fit?

Note that crime here carry no legal context, everything that you think humanity had done wrong is considered a crime (to you). The question here is, if it refused to change, would you, just accept and live on with it, or attempt to change it against its will?

Humanity has a will?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:00:27 PM
I considered it and was going to send humanity a letter telling them I forgive them but decided not to because I couldn't afford seven billion stamps.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:08:01 PM
You forgive individuals. Humaity is just a description of people or humans in general.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:16:48 PM
Humanity doesn't exist.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 9:19:13 PM
At 3/11/2013 7:27:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Sure, I don't see why not.

Everything, even that thing that guy in West Virginia did with the cat?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 9:57:24 PM
At 3/11/2013 9:19:13 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 3/11/2013 7:27:25 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Sure, I don't see why not.

Everything, even that thing that guy in West Virginia did with the cat?

Everything except that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 10:50:00 PM
No, you reap what you sow humanity, and the army of ninja hamsters is approaching. You have been warned humanity

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

http://youtu.be...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 3:16:44 AM
You forgive humanity by allow it to exist in the way it has been, regardless of what you think.

For example, I saw a good scenario from one of the topic in this website a couple of days ago. You live in a society where racial survival of human race is priority, children and women are subject to selective breeding program to ensure that the next generation will be strong, intelligent and fertile. However this practice demand commitment from its citizen, in particular, it has became a duty for every women to bare a child whether she like it or not, she may even received force injection of semen if her partner is genetically ineffective to the program. Now decades has been past and this practice has became a norm that most of the society accepted.

You are not satisfied, but would you "forgive" humanity by live on with this practice, or attempt to change it ("punish") even though it will be up against the majority vote (including many of the women herself).

May be I am not so clear about the definition of humanity itself, When I am talking about humanity here, I am talking about human society in general. You can say, Humanities = every human society that you ever know.

credit to some member of DDO, I am really sorry, I don't remember who you are, only thing I remember is that Royal is strongly against it -_-.
Psuproject2016
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:40:55 AM
At 3/11/2013 6:08:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
You forgive individuals. Humaity is just a description of people or humans in general.

This is likely the best possible example. To be honest humanity is such a broad body of people with different ethnic views and personalities that quite honestly it is impossible to forgive a whole body of this group. Finally again...what is being forgiven here humanity invented the idea of moral law code.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 11:51:45 AM
At 3/12/2013 8:40:55 AM, Psuproject2016 wrote:
At 3/11/2013 6:08:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

This is likely the best possible example. To be honest humanity is such a broad body of people with different ethnic views and personalities that quite honestly it is impossible to forgive a whole body of this group. Finally again...what is being forgiven here humanity invented the idea of moral law code.

Think of it this way, you will change every aspect of humanity (sum of human society) that you dislike for one single reason: you disagree with it, or not change it at all, regardless of how many point you want to change.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 12:26:44 PM
Not forgiving humanity based on atrocities committed against itself necessarily means humanity is a value, and thus, not forgiving humanity would be a contradiction.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 1:05:05 PM
At 3/13/2013 12:26:44 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
Not forgiving humanity based on atrocities committed against itself necessarily means humanity is a value, and thus, not forgiving humanity would be a contradiction.

??? sorry not get that.
jambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 4:18:27 PM

suttichart.denpruektham,

Accepting reality for what it is, is only reasonable, that is not to say necessarily that one must be passive, one can play the game and lean towards the light, doing the best one can under the circumstances. Nature itself is brutal, suffering cuts no ice with nature, but as indifferent as nature seems to be to suffering, it does not follow that humanity should do like wise, the very definition of humanity assumes compassion, care, a sensitivity to the suffering of all conscious creatures with the ability to suffer.

Life lives upon life, this is natures harshest reality, or the way of nature. It is not possible for life to live in continual existence in contradiction to this first principle, so to this brutal reality, as Nietzsche said, it requires a sacred yes. Crimes against humanity, can only be at the hands of humanity, and as such it threatens humanities very definition of itself. So, there is a battle to be fought here, acceptance of natures standard brutality, the laws of the jungle, must not be allowed to over ride these higher human values, and to undermine civilization itself.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 4:34:44 PM
I guess I think of humanity the same way I think of America: like an alcoholic brother living as your roommate. No matter how much he disgusts you nor how much you hate him, you can't help but loving him as family.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 3:49:11 PM
Matthew 6:14

"If you refuse to forgive others, your sins will not be forgiven."

There are no circumstances where refusing to forgive is the dominant strategy. That doesn't mean you must forget.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 5:41:01 PM
With the kind of worldview I hold, I should be the one of the most forgiving people in the world, and yet I can't find it within me to be that way. I don't like people.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 5:44:20 PM
At 3/22/2013 5:41:01 PM, 000ike wrote:
With the kind of worldview I hold, I should be the one of the most forgiving people in the world, and yet I can't find it within me to be that way. I don't like people.

You will learn as you mature to forgive people. Recently I was tested quite severely on the matter, and my ability to forgive, even though it leaves a very bad taste, is saving myself from destruction. There's only so many times you can hold on to hatred in your heart for others before it comes to bear on yourself.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 7:19:38 PM
At 3/22/2013 5:44:20 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

You will learn as you mature to forgive people. Recently I was tested quite severely on the matter, and my ability to forgive, even though it leaves a very bad taste, is saving myself from destruction. There's only so many times you can hold on to hatred in your heart for others before it comes to bear on yourself.

That's why I gave up on politics and govt. I was so filled with rage and hate. I just live my life and take care of the people around me and do what ever I can to undermine that which stands in the way of my being self reliant. I am happy now. You can not and will not change the course of govt, it is way to late and way to many people rely on it for their daily bread. It can only grow exponentially until it consumes everything. Wont happen in my life time, but I feel sorry for you kids.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2013 11:06:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about forgiving people..

I'd worry about accepting things/people as they are.. and trying to understand what might cause people to act how they do.

You might understand that some people act as they do b/c of certain weaknesses, and others b/c they simply don't Care.

If you understand why someone does something, their actions make sense... and you don't need to Forgive them, for it only makes sense that they did what they did.
Granted, some people you might not particularly empathize with, and you might not particularly like them..
but That, you'll have to deal with ;)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2013 12:16:49 PM
At 3/22/2013 11:06:39 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I wouldn't worry about forgiving people..

I'd worry about accepting things/people as they are.. and trying to understand what might cause people to act how they do.

You might understand that some people act as they do b/c of certain weaknesses, and others b/c they simply don't Care.

If you understand why someone does something, their actions make sense... and you don't need to Forgive them, for it only makes sense that they did what they did.
Granted, some people you might not particularly empathize with, and you might not particularly like them..
but That, you'll have to deal with ;)

I wouldn't forgive them though, whatever their reasons are, it doesn't affect my reasons of inconvenient. I will change them to my will so long as I have the power to do so.
Cinco
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 1:04:22 PM

Is there another option? Your wording suggests that if one is not trying to change people, then one has "given up, in defeat" and I don't fit either category. I don't share much common ground with others. I don't share "humanity's" interests or its intentions. Me telling others and/or others telling me how to live would be like a bird telling a fish how to swim - actually, it would be more like a tennis racket trying to tell a fish how to swim. We seldom even speak the same language - for what, exactly, would I forgive them? Fighting amongst themselves? If that's what they want to do...and, apparently, it is...how is that my business? Granted, it leaves damned few people to play with, but I'll get over it. LOL!
If your time, to you,
Is worth savin',
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone.
For the times they are a-changin'. - Bob Dylan