Jump to topic:

Abrasive Ramblings

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 11:52:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Women play "hard to get" even though they know they want sex tonight. Men puff out their chests and flare their nostrils when a larger man walks by, even though they know a fight is unlikely. We do all these things, sometimes unknowingly, and when we know them we give a rationalization for them -- a reason for them.

"I'm playing hard to get... because I only want the most socially dominant man to be able to sleep with me." -- "I puff out my chest... to make myself look bigger, and I flare my nostrils... to make me look like I have a short-fuse and am ready to scrap."

No, you don't. Your body does. It did these things without you. Your explanation is correct, but you've inserted something in their -- yourself.

I'm playing hard to get... I puff out my chest. Nonsense. You did no such thing, but these are things you ought to be in control of and so you need to rationalize them. Otherwise, you are admitting you are not in control; and that's terrifying.

"I think my thoughts". Bullsh*t. Your thoughts think you. Don't believe me? Stop thinking. If a thought pops into your head without your permission, then you don't control it. It's not you.

Don't give reasons for why you do things. You don't do them because of your reason. Your body will do them with or without your reason. Your reason is just an excuse to insert your ego. That's why reasons are so comforting.

Anarchists, the ego is to the state what your body is to the market. You are your own enemy.

Don't impose yourself on your body. It does it better than you. It necessarily must be, because it's the product of a long line of failed missteps -- and you haven't even been around as long as your body.

We do not think of ourselves as the heart. It beats when we will it, it still beats when we don't. We don't control it, so it's not us. After all, we can only be that which is when we will it, and is not when we don't.

Let me ask you; Do you will your consciousness?
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 12:03:28 AM
You're assuming that they are two separate things.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 12:05:45 AM
At 3/12/2013 12:03:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

You're assuming they're not.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 5:49:01 AM
At 3/11/2013 11:52:59 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
"I think my thoughts". Bullsh*t. Your thoughts think you."

8)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 8:22:23 AM
At 3/12/2013 5:49:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
"I think my thoughts". Bullsh*t. Your thoughts think you."

holy sh!t
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 9:17:12 AM
At 3/12/2013 12:05:45 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 3/12/2013 12:03:28 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

You're assuming they're not.

Yes I am.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:24:47 PM
At 3/12/2013 12:10:57 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I dunno.

I'll ask another way; If you will your consciousness to stop, does it go away? Do you choose to be conscious or not when you wake up in the morning?
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:26:55 PM
I could only decide to try and not think because I read this post, and I can't decide not to decide to try and not think. You're just pointing out fatalism with an emphasis on the biological aspect.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:28:30 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:24:47 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I dunno.

I'll ask another way; If you will your consciousness to stop, does it go away? Do you choose to be conscious or not when you wake up in the morning?

What is your idea of consciousness?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:33:06 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:26:55 PM, natoast wrote:
I could only decide to try and not think because I read this post, and I can't decide not to decide to try and not think. You're just pointing out fatalism with an emphasis on the biological aspect.

I'm pointing out that we do what we do, and the "I" is an afterthought -- an invention.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:34:24 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:28:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I dunno.

Awareness.
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:35:10 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:33:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I'm pointing out that we do what we do, and the "I" is an afterthought -- an invention.

I agree, we're animals with science who pretend we chose what we do. But this idea of not choosing still seems like fatalism to me.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:35:56 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:34:24 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I dunno.

Awareness.

What do you mean by that? Do you have to have consciousness to observe the world?
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:47:39 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:35:56 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I dunno.

Awareness.

What do you mean by that? Do you have to have consciousness to observe the world?

The particular thing you're being aware of is unimportant. When I say "consciousness", I'm talking and pure, nondiscriminatory awareness of whatever comes. This includes things like thoughts that pop into your head.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 1:48:09 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:47:39 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 3/12/2013 1:35:56 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
I dunno.

Awareness.

The particular thing you're being aware of is unimportant. When I say "consciousness", I'm talking and pure, nondiscriminatory awareness of whatever comes. This includes things like thoughts that pop into your head.

In essence, to be conscious is to observe.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 4:53:44 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:35:10 PM, natoast wrote:
At 3/12/2013 1:33:06 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I agree, we're animals with science who pretend we chose what we do. But this idea of not choosing still seems like fatalism to me.

Hmm, I see. When I said "don't impose yourself on your body", I wasn't talking about choice, I'm saying approach your actions impersonally. The brain thinks up solutions to problems and the body carries them out. If you are not your thoughts, then saying "I thought up this solution" is just stroking your ego.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 5:44:19 PM
Women play "hard to get" even though they know they want sex tonight. Men puff out their chests and flare their nostrils when a larger man walks by, even though they know a fight is unlikely. We do all these things, sometimes unknowingly, and when we know them we give a rationalization for them -- a reason for them.

"I'm playing hard to get... because I only want the most socially dominant man to be able to sleep with me." -- "I puff out my chest... to make myself look bigger, and I flare my nostrils... to make me look like I have a short-fuse and am ready to scrap."

No, you don't. Your body does. It did these things without you. Your explanation is correct, but you've inserted something in their -- yourself.

I'm playing hard to get... I puff out my chest. Nonsense. You did no such thing, but these are things you ought to be in control of and so you need to rationalize them. Otherwise, you are admitting you are not in control; and that's terrifying.

"I think my thoughts". Bullsh*t. Your thoughts think you. Don't believe me? Stop thinking. If a thought pops into your head without your permission, then you don't control it. It's not you.

Don't give reasons for why you do things. You don't do them because of your reason. Your body will do them with or without your reason. Your reason is just an excuse to insert your ego. That's why reasons are so comforting.

Anarchists, the ego is to the state what your body is to the market. You are your own enemy.

Don't impose yourself on your body. It does it better than you. It necessarily must be, because it's the product of a long line of failed missteps -- and you haven't even been around as long as your body.

We do not think of ourselves as the heart. It beats when we will it, it still beats when we don't. We don't control it, so it's not us. After all, we can only be that which is when we will it, and is not when we don't.

Let me ask you; Do you will your consciousness?

After talking to several girls, I've been informed as to why many women play "hard to get."

It's because if they played any other way, they'd be swarmed by every guy in a twenty foot radius (see: teen girls first time at bars).
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 6:36:37 PM
I dunno.

Beats me.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 11:16:11 PM
At 3/12/2013 1:48:09 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
In essence, to be conscious is to observe.

I'd say consciousness happens spontaneously... and is unavoidable given your body..

but, it's very much an influence upon your actions.. just in an unavoidable way.

So, one can actively engage in things and do as they wish.. but they come to observe, think, wish, and act (all of these things being intimately related) in the ways that they do by way of an unavoidable path.

and that doesn't mean that your thoughts don't think you b/c sure they do how else do "you" come about :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 11:17:32 PM
At 3/12/2013 11:16:11 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
and that doesn't mean that your thoughts don't think you b/c sure they do how else do "you" come about :)

"you" being your idea of self.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 6:18:29 AM
relevant quote of Zhuangzi:

Happiness, anger, despair, joy,
planning, sighing, bending freezing
elegance, ease, candor, posturing-

They are Music out of Emptiness,
mist Condensing into Mushrooms!

Day and night they alternate in front of us without our knowing where they sprout. Enough! Enough! Morning and evening we've got them, wherever they come from.

So what I'm saying is..
Happiness, anger, despair, joy and Planning surely Do affect what we do...

But they come unbidden, and their effects follow forth based upon what they are.

Metaphysics: