Jump to topic:

Infinities...

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 5:22:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Random thought, let's say you have a program that calculates pi and represents it on a number line. So as it calculates each next digit, it places the point on the line a bit further. And you leave this program running for eternity.

Now, through all this eternity, after an infinite amount of time of the point representing Pi being moved more to the right on the number line, it will still never reach 3.15.

Is it just me or is there something ming-boggling here? Might be stupid, but I shared it anyway.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
toolpot462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 9:30:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/26/2013 5:22:50 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
Random thought, let's say you have a program that calculates pi and represents it on a number line. So as it calculates each next digit, it places the point on the line a bit further. And you leave this program running for eternity.

Now, through all this eternity, after an infinite amount of time of the point representing Pi being moved more to the right on the number line, it will still never reach 3.15.

Is it just me or is there something ming-boggling here? Might be stupid, but I shared it anyway.

It's just like if you divide 1 by 2 and keep dividing the result by 2 forever, you will never reach 0.

What I think is interesting is, even if you unwrapped a 1 inch circle of wire with the most precision available today, the result in inches still wouldn't be exactly pi.
I'll be the one to protect you from
Your enemies and all your demons.
A will to survive and a voice of reason.
Your enemies and your choices, son.